Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bit the bullet on this shaper.

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Bit the bullet on this shaper.

    Finally decided to purchase this Steptoe-Western, was turned off with it not having a vise, still am actually. I know every one likes to know price, including me, for better or worse, paid $800 for it.
    There was a lot to like about it, decent size, still do not know exactly, the scale goes past 15", so maybe a 14-16"??.
    Does not appear to have been used all that much, has a manual clutch to engage, automatic oiler, bed swivels L&R 45؛, T-slots on top and sides, forward bed support, gear box for cycles per minute both in and out, is quite compact for it's size with the footprint not much bigger then the base, also 3HP so should be plenty powerful. It does have a lot of paint curling/peeling and some surface rust but the rust has not gotten to the pitting stage, paint is original.

    Last edited by Ken_Shea; 04-08-2010, 10:08 AM.

  • #2
    That looks like a lot of shaper for $800. I would think a good mill vise will work.

    Comment


    • #3
      You wouldn't get anything like $800 dollars here in the UK for it, especially without a vice nearer $150 or less sorry but they must be very scarce where you are good luck nevertheless .Alistair
      Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

      Comment


      • #4
        way to go Ken. price sounds good to me, In general, my view is don't worry about price, the difference between great and ok isn't that much and its not an exact thing - far better to get what you want and have fun....as the newf's say, you're dead a long time
        .

        Comment


        • #5
          Looks like a good buy to me, with the swivel table and clutch. I see a lever on the other side of the head is it auto down feed?
          Just last week I bought a 24inch Alba shaper, mine didn't come with a vise either. Where do all these shaper vises go?
          Dave

          Comment


          • #6
            Nice! It's got the toolmaker's knee too!

            You should be able to find a low-profile mill vise to fit it. I know Palmgren makes one.
            "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Alistair Hosie
              You wouldn't get anything like $800 dollars here in the UK for it, especially without a vice nearer $150 or less sorry but they must be very scarce where you are good luck nevertheless .Alistair
              Nothing here that I have ever seen for that kind of money Alistair, would be nice though. Scrap prices for equipment like that is $240 a ton here, which this weigh over.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Mcgyver
                way to go Ken. price sounds good to me, In general, my view is don't worry about price, the difference between great and ok isn't that much and its not an exact thing - far better to get what you want and have fun....as the newf's say, you're dead a long time
                Mcgyver,My thought exactly, $300, $400 - $800, just does not make any difference in the big picture.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Davo J
                  Looks like a good buy to me, with the swivel table and clutch. I see a lever on the other side of the head is it auto down feed?
                  Just last week I bought a 24inch Alba shaper, mine didn't come with a vise either. Where do all these shaper vises go?
                  Dave
                  Dave, I do not know what that ism may be just a locking mechanism, auto down would be nice.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by lazlo
                    Nice! It's got the toolmaker's knee too!

                    You should be able to find a low-profile mill vise to fit it. I know Palmgren makes one.
                    About two months ago I gave a friend an old HD vise that would have worked, maybe he will let me borrow it back for a bit till I find one.

                    What's the "toolmaker's knee" the front bed support or the jack screw at the rear?

                    Ken

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Toolguy
                      That looks like a lot of shaper for $800. I would think a good mill vise will work.
                      That will be what is used until a proper shaper vise is found.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Ken_Shea
                        What's the "toolmaker's knee" the front bed support or the jack screw at the rear?
                        I don't know the correct shaper term -- the pivoting cube/knee is usually only found on "Toolmaker's" shapers. Normal shapers, like my little Atlas 7b, have a fixed mount.
                        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Mcgyver
                          way to go Ken. price sounds good to me, In general, my view is don't worry about price, the difference between great and ok isn't that much and its not an exact thing - far better to get what you want and have fun....as the newf's say, you're dead a long time

                          Couldn't agree more!

                          That looks like a neat shaper. +1 on the cool "toolmakers" knee. I'd like a shaper with a universal knee. You'll have to let us know all the details when you put her to work.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by lazlo
                            I don't know the correct shaper term -- the pivoting cube/knee is usually only found on "Toolmaker's" shapers. Normal shapers, like my little Atlas 7b, have a fixed mount.
                            Ahh, Ok, that is what it is called.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Fasttrack
                              Couldn't agree more!

                              That looks like a neat shaper. +1 on the cool "toolmakers" knee. I'd like a shaper with a universal knee. You'll have to let us know all the details when you put her to work.
                              Will do, should have it here sometime next week, in the mean time, can get some wiring run from the RPC.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X