90 Degree belt spin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 90 Degree belt spin

I would like to run both my wire wheels and my disk sander off the same motor. Unfortunately, the shafts are 90 degrees to each other.

Can I do a 90 degree rotation (pulleys orthagonal to each other instead of parallel) with a V belt? If so, what kind of distance is required for this.

I don't want to have to purchase a 90 degree gear head, or have to run yet another motor. Too many motors.

You could put the motor with the shaft facing up with 2 pulleys of equal size. Have a ball bearing in one, the other solid to the shaft, oriented so the belt coming off the 2 work shafts is tangent to the motor pulleys.
    Kansas City area

Comment

Google "Corvair Fan Belt". View Images. You'll get the idea. But keep a spare belt.
      Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
      ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

"You could put the motor with the shaft facing up with 2 pulleys of equal size. Have a ball bearing in one, the other solid to the shaft, oriented so the belt coming off the 2 work shafts is tangent to the motor pulleys."

At first I thought you were pulling our legs, but it's really a neat idea.

I had lots of fun in my two Corvairs, some of it while I was driving.
        winchman
        Last edited by winchman; 04-08-2010, 10:43 PM.
        Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

It might work better to set the motor so each belt has a 45 degree twist.
          Don Young

Comment

Originally posted by Toolguy
            You could put the motor with the shaft facing up with 2 pulleys of equal size. Have a ball bearing in one, the other solid to the shaft, oriented so the belt coming off the 2 work shafts is tangent to the motor pulleys.
            I would sure like a photo of that, I am having a hard time understanding how that works. Not saying it won't I just don't get it.

Comment

Here ya go.

The big drawback is that there's only ninety degrees of engagement on the drive pulley. The added side forces from the twist does a bit to make up for it, though.
              winchman
              Last edited by winchman; 04-09-2010, 05:01 AM.
              Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Another way to skin the cat...put the motor on a "lazy susan" post mount and have the wire wheels and disk sander axes intersect it. Spin the motor one way and hook it up with a quick coupler to drive one machine, and then do the same for the other machine when you want to run it. Downside is it takes a bit of fooling around to switch from machine to machine, and a lot of work to make the rotating stand for the motor. Another motor seems to be not only easier, but much more practical.

Comment

Originally posted by winchman
                  Here ya go.

The big drawback is that there's only ninety degrees of engagement on the drive pulley. The added side forces from the twist does a bit to make up for it, though.
                  I like that solution, Winchman.

4 Corvairs, 2 VW Beetles, 3 VW Busses. Finally got air-cooled, rear engine vehicles out of my system.
                  Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
                  ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

I get it now, thanks a bunch.

Comment

Instead of the setup proposed by toolguy and drawn by winchman I would direct drive one of the shafts with a pulley on it too and then turn the belt over a pair of idlers to the other shaft. You can also use a lightly crowned drum to turn the belt. For this purpose a poly v belt works best and will last as long as it will in a non twisted application. The pulleys are easy to make. This will give full drive power and minimum belt wear.
                      Evan
                      Last edited by Evan; 04-09-2010, 10:00 AM.
                      Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Working...
                      X