Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wearing gloves when working on a mill/lathe NOT!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wearing gloves when working on a mill/lathe NOT!

Hi!

Only a dummy was hurt ...
    Video

Nick

that goes for the bench grinder too!!! Seen a few that got sucked in and ground thru the thumbnail to the bone as a 1st aider. Appears to hurt like hell too! lol
    I spent most of my money on women and booze, the rest I just wasted.

Comment

Some mths ago, while writing a workshop safety guide, I was in conversation with the british Health & Safety Executive (HSE), trying to find a link to public domain safety info- injury photos, to be told that yes they had them, but they now actively prevent any access to them “in case someone is upset” and they prefer to prosecute after the event rather than prevent it in an upsetting way.

I find it strange that I can download, from any number of disreputable “ghoul sites”, pictures of -Beheadings, babies stuck on spikes, people being dismembered, beatings, live mutilation, stabbing, burning, disembowelling, the results of massacres, for ‘entertainment.’
      But can’t view, a hand caught in a saw, an eye with a splinter in it or a burn from a welder, to be used for Health & Safety educational use. WHY NOT?

Where are the training films / photos I was shown as an apprentice, the remembrance of which, have kept me safe in a lifetime in industry.
      John

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

Comment

John,
        Just for you, a blast from the past of Evans most famous safety thread.

Really needs amending to say Cord contains no actual copper conductors.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Chinese transfer press

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W_Yna...eature=related

Note, no safety glasses, someone could have an eye injury.
          John

I used to be indecisive. Now I'm not so sure , but I'm not a complete idiot - some bits are still missing

Comment

When the new free health care takes place I hear they are going to tax gloves out of existence as threat to humanity.
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
              John,
              Just for you, a blast from the past of Evans most famous safety thread.

Really needs amending to say Cord contains no actual copper conductors.

Hi john, couldnt use that around here, the mice would eat the cheese
              John

Comment

I have to ask. Just who the sam hill is going to run a 3" shell mill into their hand. Glove or no glove. I understand the point of the demonstration. That machinery can and will wrap up articles of clothing. The same thing can happen with a long sleeve garment. I wore gloves and long sleeves around machinery for years. But not all the time and only in certain situations. Mostly for parts handling or because of hot 6's shooting off of the tooling. Never near a running spindle or shaft.
                Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Originally posted by jugs
                  Some mths ago, while writing a workshop safety guide, I was in conversation with the british Health & Safety Executive (HSE), trying to find a link to public domain safety info- injury photos, to be told that yes they had them, but they now actively prevent any access to them “in case someone is upset” and they prefer to prosecute after the event rather than prevent it in an upsetting way.

I find it strange that I can download, from any number of disreputable “ghoul sites”, pictures of -Beheadings, babies stuck on spikes, people being dismembered, beatings, live mutilation, stabbing, burning, disembowelling, the results of massacres, for ‘entertainment.’
                  But can’t view, a hand caught in a saw, an eye with a splinter in it or a burn from a welder, to be used for Health & Safety educational use. WHY NOT?

Where are the training films / photos I was shown as an apprentice, the remembrance of which, have kept me safe in a lifetime in industry.
                  You got Brunstrom to thank for that.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...sh-victim.html

all the best.markj

Comment

I can still remember training films on carrier deck safety from boot camp in 1968...guys walking into props and arresting gear cables parting legs from torsos. Also the USS Forrestal fire caused by a rocket firing from a plane on deck. And I ended up in Naval Aviation units at NAS North Island and never set foot on a ship...

David
                    David Kaiser
                    “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
                    ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

The operator of that machine in my opinion was at risk with that test, a smack round the legs with that dummy would hurt nearly as much, dont think I'd stand that close.
                      I wear latex gloves because I'm prone to dermatitis, but I dont think the risk is the same.
                      Oh and that chinese power press has the clutch brake welded so it runs constant just to make sure the workers get out of the way in time.
                      Last edited by dr pepper; 04-09-2010, 02:42 AM.
                      Build it, bodge it, but dont buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by aboard_epsilon
                        You got Brunstrom to thank for that.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...sh-victim.html

all the best.markj
                        Yes, the man was a complete A- hole, openly disliked by many of his cuntstables who felt he gave policing a bad name. His "Arrive Alive" initiative turned out to be a well disguised income stream with a high profit margin.

I think the idea of using shocking photos was good, BUT while he was legally entitled to use the pics, he should have got permission from the family, who, if he had asked them giving good reason, may well have agreed, so at least their loved-one wouldn't have died in vain.

The man was a typical blinkered zealot, to busy pursuing his own twisted agenda regardless of others, to see the big picture.

Good riddance, shame about the police / public antipathy he left behind.
                        John

Comment

Only a dummy would get that close to a spinning cutter.

Seriously though, too many young blokes would laugh at that dummy,because it is a dummy. You need real life situations like has been said, it would sink in more and make them think, to see a real person getting hurt.
                          Dave

Comment

My old job for years the nurses stations had pictures in profile of this guy from a Cadillac plant. From one side he had his freak flag lfying. From the other it was torn right out by the roots
                            Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Originally posted by Spin Doctor
                              I have to ask. Just who the sam hill is going to run a 3" shell mill into their hand. Glove or no glove. I understand the point of the demonstration. That machinery can and will wrap up articles of clothing. The same thing can happen with a long sleeve garment. I wore gloves and long sleeves around machinery for years. But not all the time and only in certain situations. Mostly for parts handling or because of hot 6's shooting off of the tooling. Never near a running spindle or shaft.
                              Spin, I'm with you on this one. I have gotten in more trouble by flinching when something unexpected happens like a hot 6 between the fingers. I don't wear gloves when polishing on the lathe. If people can't stay focused on what they are doing or where they are then they would be well advised to work in the nude? What makes sense for one person may not for another where gloves are concerned. My gloves are loose fitting so that I can fling them off when I pick up something hot and the steam burn starts coming through the leather. I don't care if others prefer to work without gloves, it's okay with me.
                              !!
                              Last edited by Your Old Dog; 04-09-2010, 08:34 AM.
                              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Working...
                              X