Motorbike project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Motorbike project

I have been working on this motorbike project a few weeks now. I had to do it between jobs and have been test riding it for a little over a week now. It's been years since I rode even a bike and it has been an experience. I only have about an hour run time on the engine now and it is doing just fine. I ordered a larger rear sprocket so it will climb hills easier. Since I live outside town on a gravel road it has been interesting learning to ride on gravel again.

It's only 1/4 mile on the highway and cross a bridge to get into town so that's not to bad. I also bought a bike carrier from HF and did some major modifications to it to carry the motorbike. I'll give it a test run this weekend to see how the bike will ride on the carrier. Yea, that ugly old gezzer in browns is me. It was windy and I was telling the wife to hurry and take the damn picture before I got blown away.

Last edited by Carld; 04-08-2010, 10:29 PM.
    It's only ink and paper

had one of these when i was a kid in the fifties was called a whizzer it had a motor mounted like yours and was belt driven and had a very large pulley on the back wheel quite a lot of fun to ride ps it used a cable driven belt tensioner for a clutch simple but it worked

Comment

nicely done Carl, is that all freelance? looks very professional

what old geezer?

Comment

That is toooo cool, Carl!, I'm like Jack and that reminds me of the "Whizzer" when I was a kid. Also a bit like the "Servicycle" during the 50's.

But you are to stingy with your description.... tell us more about it, whats that little motor, show the other side with the drive, centrifugal clutch, slip clutch? where'd you come up with that anyway? the tank looks like it was made special for your set-up - what is it from? etc, etc....
        If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

yes, I has a Whizzer too. This is a Chinese 2 cycle engine bike kit. It's a bolt on setup. So far it's a lot of fun.
          It's only ink and paper

Comment

Man. you guys must be older then me, I had a Moped

That is slick Card, down right nice.

How they make those kits and sell them so cheap is beyond me, looks like fun.

Comment

I got the bike from my father-in-law and ordered the kit online. My brother-in-law sells the kits or a complete bike with engine. I got the kit from the same place he gets his. It amazed me that they will fit almost any bike frame. He said he has found few bikes they won't fit. The more he talked the more I had to have one. It was bringing back memories of the Whizzer when I was 16 years old.

I'll have to be careful, I don't bounce like I used to so falling is not an option.

All I modified was the clutch cable setup. Getting it started the first time was difficult but after that is does just fine. I't supposed to go about 35 to 40 mph but there's no way I want to do that. I remember how far you slide when going 20-25 and it's not nice. There are two highways I feel safe ridding it on and when I feel comfortable with it I will try a long ride, well, 5 or 10 miles anyway.

This thing would be neat in a big city with bike lanes as long as you don't get in fast traffic.
              It's only ink and paper

Comment

Carl,
                Are they supposed to be reasonably economical with regards to fuel consumption?

Comment

That's cool, Carld. Thanks for the pic.

Comment

Nice bike...looks real good.

Comment

Hey Carl, lookin' good.
                      Here's my first build from a couple or two years ago, I've built about four more since for friends, lots of fun being a kid again.
                      My old shovelhead is still good for a hundred and thirty five, but this thing is more of an eye opening experience at thirty mph then that thing is at a hundred.
                      Pushin' 60 here Carl, and still feels good to feel twelve again.
                      Good on ya bud.

Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
                      Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

Cool ride Carl........and as others said,what old geezer?BW

Comment

Originally posted by Carld

I'll have to be careful, I don't bounce like I used to so falling is not an option.
                          Wear those buckskin gloves Carl like the truckdrivers do. That's what I wear on my Harley and I've already got them chaffed up once I understand you may not want to admit you wear gloves on a machinist site !!

Nice job on the build. Looks like a lot of fun.

Can you point me to a link where I can peruse the product? I built my handicapped son an electric bike but unless you spend a fortune on batteries it won't run for long.
                          Last edited by Your Old Dog; 04-09-2010, 08:46 AM.
                          - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                          Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Nice job on the wheels there. That is one of the things on my list of "to do" items.

My uncle built one while he was working as the administrator of a hospital. His buddy was a retired machinist that worked at the same place. He would tell stories of how they would build them together an hour at a time during lunch breaks. When finished, they rode them down the halls of the hospital basements.

I think that his bike ended up in his barn and now that he is gone, I cant say where it might have gone off to. I do know that he was keen on where his stuff went so I'm sure that someone is enjoying it to this day.

rock~
                            Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

Carld,

Please tell us the actual source and cost of your bike motor kit. Looks like a great birthday gift for teenage grandchildren!

thanks - John

Comment

Working...
                              X