Need Help Cooking Duck !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Help Cooking Duck !

There............ now that I have your attention.
    These guys visit me every year, 6 or 7 years now. They stick around until I remove the cover.

JL................

They may nest nearby. Aside from the pool are there any ponds/lakes nearby?
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

Originally posted by Liger Zero
      They may nest nearby. Aside from the pool are there any ponds/lakes nearby?
      Yes, there is a lake down the road, a river across the street and several ponds out in the back field. She laid 3 eggs under the pear tree one year but after a few weeks abandoned them.

JL.............

Comment

Originally posted by JoeLee
        Yes, there is a lake down the road, a river across the street and several ponds out in the back field. She laid 3 eggs under the pear tree one year but after a few weeks abandoned them.

JL.............
        Its hard being a suburban duck mother.
        Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

We used to get a couple a few years back, the male was very tame and would eat out of your fingers.
          I was amazed at the plumage, such vibrant colours and define lines they looked like they had been airbrushed.

People think peacock have nice plumage but they are nowhere as defined as the duck.

As regards cooking it's the same as any other meal. Nip down the pub, read the menu, find duck and order it, job done and no washing up.
          Don't forget the pint of heavy, we don't drink that frozen rice shït round here.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
            Don't forget the pint of heavy, we don't drink that frozen rice shït round here.
            Still using Lucas refigeration John?
            Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Originally posted by Spin Doctor
              Still using Lucas refigeration John?
              No that is a urban legend put about by Budweiser who have to freeze their drink [ can't call it beer ] to disguise the taste it has at room temperature.

True beer can be drunk at cool temperatures and doesn't need to be chilled.

What makes the Lucas joke even better is that a few years ago Lucas industries were split up, Lucas Aerospace is now part of Airbus and the Lucas Automotive was was sold off to America.

So it could even be part of Maytag now

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

If you feed them they'll always come back.

If you cook them the breast should be medium rare.

Comment

While I will agree that Budweiser is not beer (what it is said to resemble comes from horses) on a hot MidWestern afternoon after mowing the greensward* the idea of a glass of Porter or Stout just doesn't cut it. In times like that I think I'll have a Leinenkugels myself

http://leinie.com/home.htm

*see us uneducumated 'mericans know big words too
                  Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Our city code has a provision for killing animals that are doing damage to plants or property. I'm going to use it to eat a rabbit that seems to fancy our yard (and the mrs flowers). Only protected species are exempt from the land owner's wishes of live or dead removal.

Of course air guns are still prohibited unless you have a permitted "range" (I'm in the process of getting one designated), but you can use archery without restriction.

Comment

That board in the first photo------cut off about 18" of it, clean and skin the ducks, place the ducks on the board and place in the oven at 350° for an hour, throw away the ducks and eat the board.
                      Mel
                      Last edited by lugnut; 04-12-2010, 10:05 PM.

I would rather have tools that I never use, than not have a tool I need.
                      Oregon Coast

Comment

If you do cook them, grits or oats works reasonably well to soak up the grease. A towel works well to wipe the grease off your lips but if you eat with your fingers you may want to wear the nitril gloves.
                        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Duck Jerky... only way to eat duck, IMHO

Mark

Comment

Iv managed to hit squirls with my bow before at 40'+..
                            The problem is they run when they hear the bow release, and run a few feet before the arrows get to them (with a small, slower bow)

The trick is to just wait untill they see you and start running, then you can effectively lead them and shoot where they plan to be :P

It also helps that for most feeding areas, 90% of squirls will pick one of two directions to escape off in (the nearest two trees somewhat far apart typicly)
                            Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by lugnut
                              That board in the first photo------cut off about 18" of it, clean and skin the ducks, place the ducks on the board and place in the oven at 350° for an hour, throw away the ducks and eat the board.
                              Mel

That might go for geese, but wild mallard, cooked so that the breast meat is still pink, tastes like lean beef.

We breast out our Geese and soak the breasts in either brine or whole milk overnight and then cook em on the grill.

Comment

Working...
                              X