more on cast iron vs. steel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• more on cast iron vs. steel

i have another question regarding the substitution of steel for things i normally see made of cast iron. i need a steady rest for my 11" SB lathe. i rarely see them for sale, and they seem to go on the upside of $150 if they do show up. i also have access to all kinds of steel. if i made a steady rest out of steel, would it be okay, or is cast iron recommended for some reason?

thanks.

andy b.
    The danger is not that computers will come to think like men - but that men will come to think like computers. - some guy on another forum not dedicated to machining

Steel is fine for this, I have made a couple by welding. I used a piece of extra heavy pipe for one.
    Cast iron is used more for convenience of manufacture than any structural reason.
    Jim H.

Comment

Metal Lathe Accessories http://www.statecollegecentral.com/m...the/index.html sells a kit to build a steady rest.
      ----------
      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Steel should work.
        Cast Iron absorbs vibration much better and is a major reason besides lower cost (castings)to make it. can't make a tuning fork out of CI...

Comment

Working...
        X