No announcement yet.

What to have on hand to move machinery?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to have on hand to move machinery?

I would like to hear what others have on hand to move that piece of machinery that comes their way.

Rollers, jacks, straps, cranes...the list goes on...let's hear what you use.

And a specific question...in the past I have used random pieces of pipe to move a machine. Well now I have a nice piece of pipe that I would like to cut to have a set of machine moving rollers. The question...how long should I cut the pieces?

Thanks

TMT

MY favourites are an old skateboard for the front of machines smaller ones and two large pieces of scaffold pipe I use for moving heavier stuff.Alistair Ps oh that and bulging biceps and pecks somewhere under all the blubber oh I nearly forgot a half ton electric winch very handy and a car jack.
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

fourteen pounds of C-4 and a couple of blasting caps
      No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

I just moved two small pieces. A BP clone mill and a SB heavy 10 lathe.
        1/2" pipe was used. Having them long enough to fit completely from side to side when at an angle in relationship to the length was a must - to move them diagonally, which I needed to do both times. minimum 3 pcs. more is better.
        Multiple pry bars.

Comment

I have 1/2" pipe pieces (4' long), a 2-ton engine crane, a couple of 6' prylever bars (one is just a 1"x 1" x 72" steel bar with a bevel at the business end, the other one is similar to this: http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...7624_200387624 ). I also had an electric winch attached to the wall that helped dragging some of the pieces, but it was really optional.

This was sufficient to unload and position everything (smaller lathe, Bridgeport, large vertical saw, mill-drill, etc.), except for a large (17") lathe. The latter required use of a forklift, hydraulic jacks and rollers.
          Last edited by MichaelP; 04-14-2010, 01:16 PM.
          Mike
          WI/IL border, USA

Comment

What do I have on hand? Well....... Anything in the shop is fair game. I have used one Bridgeport as an anchor point to pull something different out away from a wall. I know that was not exactly what you were looking for.

The list,
            1) Chain all lengths - I buy it at every auction. No one really bids on the stuff.
            2) Clevis hooks, grab hooks any that I can pin a chain to
            3) Rope, cable, twine, etc
            4) Pipe in all sizes and lengths
            5) Wood blocking / dunnage
            6) GLOVES!
            7) Cable come-along
            8) Chain come-along
            9) Webbing / straps with ratchets
            10) Binders, screw and lever.
            11) Tie wire
            12) Electrical tape
            13) Pry bars
            14) Small bucket of double clevis links, lifting rings, forged eye hooks, shackles

There is more, its all in the corner and I put everything from the corner in the truck when I run out to a move. Staging it in the corner lets me get everything at once. A full socket set is a nice addition. A little tool box with the basics is good.

All of these things were bought over the years as needed or as they came up in auction. Buy decent stuff and have it handy.

But the best thing to do is study rigging and moving texts. Always think about the machine and the weight that you are in control of. Safety information is a priceless tool.

So what are you moving?
            rock~
            Last edited by rockrat; 04-14-2010, 01:20 PM.
            Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

Nothing to move at the moment...

The post started as this nice piece of 2" pipe that I came across and considering what to do with it.

I too have used 1/2" pipe that I have picked up along the way..random pieces of various lengths. I have found that 1/2" can be too small since it can hang up on any little pebble or crack so I wanted a bit larger diameter of rollers. And since this 2" piece of pipe is one piece, I am fielding what lengths I should cut it.

But of course all this now makes me want to put together a kit of moving materials/tools so I am actually ready for the next acquistion...so the broader question that should be of interest to anyone chasing their next machine.

TMT

Comment

I am a big fan of gary's trucks made from scrap bearings.

I have moved all of my machines with a comealong, a harbor freight winch (the cheapest one they sell), a couple nylon lifting straps, some crowbars and pipe. Along with a small selection of 1/8-1/4-1/2" shims to get machines onto 2x4's or tall enough to get the pipe under it. I don't move them often enough to need much more, though I have a working design for a hydraulic lift that will help me get things from the back of a trailer to the floor. That's always the trickiest part.
                Last edited by snowman; 04-14-2010, 01:43 PM.

Comment

I got tired of the fight. I picked up some very heavy duty casters at an auction. I used four of them to make a straddle dolly.

It is made of two sizes of square tubing that fit snugly inside one another.

Part 1 - is a 6" piece of the larger size tube welded to a piece of plate with a caster bolted to it.
                  Part 2 - is a 4" piece of the larger size tube with a gusseted ear welded to it.
                  Part 3 - is two 6" pieces of the larger tubing welded at a 90 degree angle.

The frame is made of 4 pieces of the smaller (2" OD) tube. You can adjust the frame to any size. The frame is just held in place by friction with the load on it. Best of all, when not in use the bits all fit in a small duffel bag and the frame tubes stand in the corner.

To move a Bridgeport, we just used a pry bar to pick it up an inch or so and set it on blocks, assembled the straddle dolly, slid 4 bolts up through the anchor holes and through the ears, hand tighten the nuts and remove the blocks.

One guy can roll the mill with minimal effort. I've used it to move lathes and mills. I also use it when working on equipment in the shop. I can move stuff outside to grind, sandblast, pressure wash or paint.

I also have all the usual chains, binders, lifting straps, engine cranes, jacks and a couple 10 ton PortoPower sets with attachments.

Comment

I bought REAL lifting straps from some rigging store.. only to find out I bought one too long and needed to use the 'tree recovery strap' I got from PA... rated like 5+ tons or something and looks strong enough with some newspaper packed in to keep it off any sharp corners. (And by newspaper I mean like an entire days newspaper wraped around 1 corner without wrinkleing it up)
                    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I keep about 8 pieces of 1/2" pipe alongside my Lagun mill. A 5" pry bar made from an old axle and several other bars works for the manual stuff.
                      Getting too old now for most moving so I recently acquired a small fork lift.

Most of the small, heavy, often moved stuff is on casters.
                      Don't forget to have at least 2 super heavy ratcheting hold downs and a half dozen heavy ones.
                      Guaranteed not to rust, bust, collect dust, bend, chip, crack or peel

Comment

Trihonu, that is a very interesting rig. Have you ever moved a lathe with it?

Comment

I bought GKS Perfekt transport trolleys F3 and L3:

http://www.gks-perfekt.com/index.php...=43&Itemid=174

Also a Northern Hydraulic toe jack, Horror Freight Hydraulic Jack and a Heavy Pry Bar:

http://www.marshalltown.com/productD...x?prodID=16595

This combination is very good for the size machines I move.

Comment

TriHonu,

Very nice indeed! Looks like a very handy set to keep on hand, thanks for taking the time to diagram and explain. I would wonder about the height as it seems like different thicknesses of bases would potentially be challenging. Thinking about something that has fairly thin feet vs. something like the mill shown with the thick base. I suppose you have some adjustment by placing the side tubes on top of or underneath the main tubes though.

--Larry

Comment

Pretty much all the things listed, but add a few friends and some pizzas and beer for afterwards.
                              CCBW, MAH

Comment

Working...
                              X