OT - Dental Implants

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT - Dental Implants

I just got three of these studs "installed" - this particular one had to be removed and replaced with a larger one so I got it as a keep-sake. The actual length is around 3/4", diameter about 3/32".

Later, after some healing, I will receive a partial that snaps onto the little buggers.
    It's funny how close this procedure is to everyday machining:

The studs are Titanium.
    My jaw bone was drilled to accept the studs.
    Drilling was accomplished with a "Surgical Template" -to me a drill bushing!
    They are self-tapping.
    They were tightened with a miniature torque wrench - ratchet type no less.

I guess you could say that I've been to my oral machinist

I was at my 'Oral Machinist' 4 weeks ago.
    I got both lower wisdom teeth pulled, and 4 fillings.
    OUCH.
    At least he prescribed me some pain killers.
    4 Vicodin's and 6 beers makes for a fuzzy evening.

Comment

OUCH! reminds me of an ezy-out!
      mark costello-Low speed steel

Comment

Is that part of you on the end of that lag screw? If so maybe you should give your dentist a better chip brush.

Comment

out of interest what do these things cost over there? I was recently quoted approx $5000 AUD each for these. That was for the complete job. Funnily enough I'm not getting them.

bollie7

Comment

I recently had a tooth pulled and was offered an implant as one option or alternatively a bridge. The teeth either side were in pretty rough shape and the bridge would take care of those as well. The cost for either treatment was going to be $1400, but the wifes dental plan would cover half the cost of the bridge, can you guess which I went with.
            Apparently the implants are made of titanium because it's the only material the jaw won't reject.

Comment

That's pretty expensive in the states. I have a friend that had it done (I don't remember how many teeth/studs) but it was over $10,000.

Comment

Originally posted by Robin R
                the wifes dental plan would cover half the cost of the bridge, can you guess which I went with.
                My wife's insurance initially denied her claim for dental implants, on the basis that they considered it a cosmetic procedure. With the backing of her oral surgeon and several doctors (she works in a hospital) she appealed and won on the basis that the teeth are part of the digestive system.

Comment

Considerations prior to tooth implants

Those of you considering implants should be aware that the extractions should be done with care. The old tooth should be removed with as little or no jawbone as possible. Harvesting the bone that comes out with your tooth may can be important in the long run. Not a dentist, but am friends with a good dentist. Lots of considerations especially if the tooth is one in front. Implants may cause the gums to recede causing an unsightly gap between tooth and gum.

Comment

Kinda spooky, but when the oral guy goes about building bone in prep for the implant--------chips, pieces get supplied from a friendly cadaver.

The above pictured implant appears to be a one piece machining. The two piece job utilizes a Morse taper fit, plus cement. Around here 3 g's, piece o' cake. Root canal-1 g plus 350 for crown.

--G

Comment

Originally posted by bollie7
                      out of interest what do these things cost over there? I was recently quoted approx $5000 AUD each for these. That was for the complete job. Funnily enough I'm not getting them.

bollie7
                      Bollie, I had 2 implanted in '08, total was right at $10K US. This was at (afaik) the most highly regarded oral surgeon in my area. There were certainly cheaper around but I went with the best and am happy.

Bad news is most insurance won't cover implants. Mine would have covered a bridge but I felt a 2-tooth bridge would end up failing so went with the implants, out of pocket.

John

Comment

Ouch

Brother in Law had a Implant. The dental surgeon? drilled right into his sinus cavity. It caused him a lot of problems. Kinda like taking youre Car to a mechanic. Never know how its going to work out.

Comment

Implants

I had five implants installed in my lower jaw about six years ago. Expensive, and all on my own dime, but worth every penny. The surgeon installed the implants and fitted a "Paris bridge" that spans them all. The lower denture clips to it. Total cost, including matching dentures was Cdn $14000. One dentist quoted $18000 and claimed that I would be chewing with new teeth that night! It actually took about four weeks including everything. Duffy
                          Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

Well, how many hospitals have in-house machining dept for doing hip replacements and such
                            Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Just had a Crown.

Between times when the Doc. was fussing and grinding I could watch the CNC Machine making my new Crown.
                              It used double opposing burrs and looked like it had 6 axis.
                              The Crown snapped in perfectly, and I was otta there < hour, at about 1/2 the cost.

Tom M.

Comment

Working...
                              X