Swarf Curtains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by danlb
    My concern was the swarf from my lathe getting into the storage shelves behind it.

I mounted a pull down window shade at the top of the shelf. If I'm turning something I just pull down the shade. The thin plastic stops the swarf and catches the oil splatters. It does not keep swarf off of me, but I'm pretty much wash and wear, so that's OK.

Dan
    I did that with the shelving behind my bridgeport. Great minds think alike

Clutch

Comment

I like it, going to have to get me one

Comment

Originally posted by lazlo
        I have a Roomaba -- the underside is all plastic and it has a long, soft rubber roller. Steel swarf would tear that up very quickly, and if you use cutting oil, forgetaboutit.

HAP: I love your idea! I need to build something like that, or Lane/Bill's shower curtain. I've been doing a lot of facemilling with 3" cutters, and that sends a spray of swarf all over the shop. I spend more time cleaning up than I do getting work done.
        He has had no problems. Runs a Bridgeport, a Fadal VMC, a couple lathes, surface grinder, you name it. Works great.

Cheers,

BW
        ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
        Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
        http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

Ever have problems with hot chips melting thru the curtain? I know I'm none too happy when they try to embed in me.

Comment

Originally posted by kyfho
            Ever have problems with hot chips melting thru the curtain? I know I'm none too happy when they try to embed in me.
            Never been a problem for me. If they hit and stick, they stay there. If the bounce, they are contained. I've never had one penetrate.

Dan
            At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Comment

I never make swarf curtains. Too much trouble trying to sew all those little chips together. Chain mail,maybe..

Comment

Went and took a pic of my "chip control system". I didn't clean up after the last job, so as you can see, it works pretty well (I did push them aside, but haven't yet cleaned). There is also a clear front shield on ball sockets so I can put it where ever needed depending on the cut and where it will do the most good.

Click for larger. Then click that image for full size.
                Russ
                Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

You guys inspired me to make some chip control for my mill. I gathered up a couple clamp lights at the local second-hand store for $8, some EPDM roofing membrane, 2 clevis pins and some aluminum extrusions from my scrap pile.

A couple hours later... my combination light bar, swarf curtain, tool holder. $15 in materials. My tired eyes and my shop walls thank you.

Hinges are just ears made by cutting away 2 sides of the tube.

The curtains folded back out of the way. My mill now thinks he is Batman!

Comment

Sometimes this works:

Sometimes it doesn’t:

It teaches you to pay attention to which direction to go around the part to throw the swarf toward the vacuum intake.
                    Byron Boucher
                    Burnet, TX

Comment

Mine is like this . made from black vinyl are Naugahyde.
                      Every Mans Work Is A Portrait of Him Self
                      http://sites.google.com/site/machinistsite/TWO-BUDDIES
                      http://s178.photobucket.com/user/lan...?sort=3&page=1

Comment

chip control

Here are a couple of pictures of the set up I made.
                        Did an article for it in Home Shop mag July/August 2011

Comment

Hap, Great idea thanks for the picture it helps explain it well. OT kind of, are those wheels on the base of the tool or just levelers that have round pieces to them? Just curious, as too how do they keep the machine stationary if they are wheels?
                          TX Mr Fixit
                          Chris

Comment

this is my solution.

Comment

Dian, What about a picture of the top of the curtain?

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

sorry, i cant as they are not on the mill right now. but there is no "top", its held in place by the magnets. its basically four parts and the front comes off easyly. for small jobs i use a settup like this:

Comment

Working...
                                X