Clear All

• woodey
    replied
    I like it, going to have to get me one

Leave a comment:

• clutch
    replied
    Originally posted by danlb
    My concern was the swarf from my lathe getting into the storage shelves behind it.

I mounted a pull down window shade at the top of the shelf. If I'm turning something I just pull down the shade. The thin plastic stops the swarf and catches the oil splatters. It does not keep swarf off of me, but I'm pretty much wash and wear, so that's OK.

Dan
    I did that with the shelving behind my bridgeport. Great minds think alike

Clutch

Leave a comment:

• danlb
    replied
    My concern was the swarf from my lathe getting into the storage shelves behind it.

I mounted a pull down window shade at the top of the shelf. If I'm turning something I just pull down the shade. The thin plastic stops the swarf and catches the oil splatters. It does not keep swarf off of me, but I'm pretty much wash and wear, so that's OK.

Dan

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    How about some pictures of installations guys?

Also what is the best material to use for the curtains?

TMT

Leave a comment:

• lazlo
    replied
    Originally posted by BobWarfield
    Second, looks like you got floors that are not too crowded. I know a guy who uses one of those "Rhumba" robot vacuums to clean his shop floor every night.
    I have a Roomaba -- the underside is all plastic and it has a long, soft rubber roller. Steel swarf would tear that up very quickly, and if you use cutting oil, forgetaboutit.

HAP: I love your idea! I need to build something like that, or Lane/Bill's shower curtain. I've been doing a lot of facemilling with 3" cutters, and that sends a spray of swarf all over the shop. I spend more time cleaning up than I do getting work done.
    Last edited by lazlo; 04-16-2010, 09:02 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Weston Bye
    replied
    Originally posted by The Artful Bodger
    We have a little dog that keeps the kitchen floor clear of crumbs etc but she has proved useless at cleaning up workshop chips.
    Change over to bacon grease for your cutting oil.

Leave a comment:

• oldtiffie
    replied
    "Turn-ups"

Not a problem - have a "turn-up" or a "cuff" on the bottom of the curtain and insert some lead, sand, bits of steel. washers etc. etc. as a weighted "hold-down".

Just a bit of time on a sewing machine - and there you are!!

"Hospital" type over-head rails or runners are ideal for the curtains.

Leave a comment:

• The Artful Bodger
    replied
    I think it is generally a bad policy to have loose fabric of any kind near rotating machinery as if it gets tangled there will be stuff flying everwhere and there is even a risk of an operator getting entagled.

Leave a comment:

• Davo J
    replied
    Nice job.
    I saw a fellow a while back with 2 arms off each side of the mill with shower curtain on them as well.
    I think it would contain more chips if it went right down to the floor though.

Dave
    PS
    Do you get the urge to sing in there.

Leave a comment:

• BadDog
    replied
    I took a couple of old steel electronic housing (shaped like [_____] ) and added plates to clamp to the ends of my table. Then mounted a piece of neoprene (way cover basically) between the back edges. Forms an enclosure kinda like a CNC, but without a top so that the mill head can get in. Then I have a ball-socket arm with plexy shield on the front that I put in the primary chip path coming forward (or between me and the cutter depending). Works quite well. Before I installed the arrangement in desperation, I thought about a full curtain, but never got that far.

Leave a comment:

• The Artful Bodger
    replied
    We have a little dog that keeps the kitchen floor clear of crumbs etc but she has proved useless at cleaning up workshop chips.

Leave a comment:

• miker
    replied
    Good One!

Nicely done!

HAP, do you have any photos/description of how you mounted the Z Quill Scale on that Mill?

I have a similar unit and am still trying to decide the best/easiest way to mount the Scale/Readout.

Rgds

Leave a comment:

• Black_Moons
    replied
    Originally posted by BobWarfield
    Second, looks like you got floors that are not too crowded. I know a guy who uses one of those "Rhumba" robot vacuums to clean his shop floor every night. Works really nicely!

Cheers,

BW
    We have the technology.. we can.. rebuild it.. make it.. better.. stronger.. faster... Electric/hydrolic chip crunchers...

Leave a comment:

• HAP
    replied
    The robot vacuum is a great idea! I have a 40x60 shop; it might take it while .

Leave a comment:

• BobWarfield
    replied
    A couple thoughts...

First, small curtains work too. Saw a pick of a guy who tore up a ziploc bag and put it on the spindle for a 4th axis job. Wished I had a link, but you get the idea.

Second, looks like you got floors that are not too crowded. I know a guy who uses one of those "Rhumba" robot vacuums to clean his shop floor every night. Works really nicely!

Cheers,

BW

Leave a comment:

Working...
X