No announcement yet.

Swarf Curtains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem I can see with Trihonu and Lanes set-up's is they are too low.
    I have been experimenting with opened up cardboard boxes to see the best place to put these and all my chippings are going well over the top of where their guards are.

A lot of my work is on ally with high helix cutters that they lift and throw in a big arc.

I am seriously toying with the idea of a circular rail as in the fist pic and using the heavy plastic fork truck strip curtains, basically motor hight to floor.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
      Problem I can see with Trihonu and Lanes set-up's is they are too low.
      I have been experimenting with opened up cardboard boxes to see the best place to put these and all my chippings are going well over the top of where their guards are.

A lot of my work is on ally with high helix cutters that they lift and throw in a big arc.

I am seriously toying with the idea of a circular rail as in the fist pic and using the heavy plastic fork truck strip curtains, basically motor hight to floor.
      I made a post on this subject a few days ago and was hoping for more response with some ideas thrown out here is that post link. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=52468

My CNC router table has excellent chip control and it seems I could learn something from that design to apply towards my bed mill. The router table has a dust foot attached to a 3 HP cyclone dust collector. The dust foot surrounds the cutting tool and is open around the spindle to draw air in. The bottom of the dust boot has a brush to help seal around the material. This system gets 99% of swarf.

One thing that keeps me from using this system on the mill is the use of coolant. The use of coolant would ruin my router table system. I have been thinking about trying to make a similar dust foot for the mill and using a wet & dry shop vacuum. I would use the shop vacuum as a donator of parts. I would like to use a quarter drum as the body for the vacuum system with a sump area in the bottom for the coolant that is gathered with the chips to drain into. The idea here would be to pump or drain that coolant back to the machines coolant reservoir. I would build a removable basket that would allow dumping the swarf.

I could also possibly use the existing dust collector for the suction of this quarter drum system isolating the swarf catch from the dust collector this idea needs more thought.

It seems to me most VMC machines use an enclosed cabinet to catch the coolant and swarf that is possible with my machine but because it can and I do run it manually the encloser would be in the way. The size would also hamper my limited space.

A thought that occurred to me was to make a small halo that would be adjustable about 6"-8" in diameter. It seems the further away the chip deflector is the higher and bigger it needs to be. I was envisioning a round encloser or possibly a square encloser. If I used a square encloser it could have the plastic sheet on rolls at the top 4 of them then the length could be adjusted and cut off as it wore.

This last method is what I am leaning towards as a test it will have no swarf collection but I am hoping it will contain most of the mess and keep the coolant on the table which will drain back to the machine sump.

What do you think about my rambling?

Comment

Working...
      X