X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gundog
    replied
    Originally posted by John Stevenson
    Problem I can see with Trihonu and Lanes set-up's is they are too low.
    I have been experimenting with opened up cardboard boxes to see the best place to put these and all my chippings are going well over the top of where their guards are.

A lot of my work is on ally with high helix cutters that they lift and throw in a big arc.

I am seriously toying with the idea of a circular rail as in the fist pic and using the heavy plastic fork truck strip curtains, basically motor hight to floor.
    I made a post on this subject a few days ago and was hoping for more response with some ideas thrown out here is that post link. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/showthread.php?t=52468

My CNC router table has excellent chip control and it seems I could learn something from that design to apply towards my bed mill. The router table has a dust foot attached to a 3 HP cyclone dust collector. The dust foot surrounds the cutting tool and is open around the spindle to draw air in. The bottom of the dust boot has a brush to help seal around the material. This system gets 99% of swarf.

One thing that keeps me from using this system on the mill is the use of coolant. The use of coolant would ruin my router table system. I have been thinking about trying to make a similar dust foot for the mill and using a wet & dry shop vacuum. I would use the shop vacuum as a donator of parts. I would like to use a quarter drum as the body for the vacuum system with a sump area in the bottom for the coolant that is gathered with the chips to drain into. The idea here would be to pump or drain that coolant back to the machines coolant reservoir. I would build a removable basket that would allow dumping the swarf.

I could also possibly use the existing dust collector for the suction of this quarter drum system isolating the swarf catch from the dust collector this idea needs more thought.

It seems to me most VMC machines use an enclosed cabinet to catch the coolant and swarf that is possible with my machine but because it can and I do run it manually the encloser would be in the way. The size would also hamper my limited space.

A thought that occurred to me was to make a small halo that would be adjustable about 6"-8" in diameter. It seems the further away the chip deflector is the higher and bigger it needs to be. I was envisioning a round encloser or possibly a square encloser. If I used a square encloser it could have the plastic sheet on rolls at the top 4 of them then the length could be adjusted and cut off as it wore.

This last method is what I am leaning towards as a test it will have no swarf collection but I am hoping it will contain most of the mess and keep the coolant on the table which will drain back to the machine sump.

What do you think about my rambling?

Leave a comment:

• John Stevenson
    replied
    Problem I can see with Trihonu and Lanes set-up's is they are too low.
    I have been experimenting with opened up cardboard boxes to see the best place to put these and all my chippings are going well over the top of where their guards are.

A lot of my work is on ally with high helix cutters that they lift and throw in a big arc.

I am seriously toying with the idea of a circular rail as in the fist pic and using the heavy plastic fork truck strip curtains, basically motor hight to floor.

Leave a comment:

• dian
    replied
    sorry, i cant as they are not on the mill right now. but there is no "top", its held in place by the magnets. its basically four parts and the front comes off easyly. for small jobs i use a settup like this:

Leave a comment:

• Black Forest
    replied
    Dian, What about a picture of the top of the curtain?

Leave a comment:

• dian
    replied
    this is my solution.

Leave a comment:

• Mr Fixit
    replied
    Hap, Great idea thanks for the picture it helps explain it well. OT kind of, are those wheels on the base of the tool or just levelers that have round pieces to them? Just curious, as too how do they keep the machine stationary if they are wheels?
    TX Mr Fixit
    Chris

Leave a comment:

• sid pileski
    replied
    chip control

Here are a couple of pictures of the set up I made.
    Did an article for it in Home Shop mag July/August 2011

Leave a comment:

• lane
    replied
    Mine is like this . made from black vinyl are Naugahyde.

Leave a comment:

• Boucher
    replied
    Sometimes this works:

Sometimes it doesn’t:

It teaches you to pay attention to which direction to go around the part to throw the swarf toward the vacuum intake.

Leave a comment:

• TriHonu
    replied
    You guys inspired me to make some chip control for my mill. I gathered up a couple clamp lights at the local second-hand store for $8, some EPDM roofing membrane, 2 clevis pins and some aluminum extrusions from my scrap pile.

A couple hours later... my combination light bar, swarf curtain, tool holder. $15 in materials. My tired eyes and my shop walls thank you.

Hinges are just ears made by cutting away 2 sides of the tube.

The curtains folded back out of the way. My mill now thinks he is Batman!

Leave a comment:

• BadDog
    replied
    Went and took a pic of my "chip control system". I didn't clean up after the last job, so as you can see, it works pretty well (I did push them aside, but haven't yet cleaned). There is also a clear front shield on ball sockets so I can put it where ever needed depending on the cut and where it will do the most good.

Click for larger. Then click that image for full size.

Leave a comment:

• gwilson
    replied
    I never make swarf curtains. Too much trouble trying to sew all those little chips together. Chain mail,maybe..

Leave a comment:

• danlb
    replied
    Originally posted by kyfho
    Ever have problems with hot chips melting thru the curtain? I know I'm none too happy when they try to embed in me.
    Never been a problem for me. If they hit and stick, they stay there. If the bounce, they are contained. I've never had one penetrate.

Dan

Leave a comment:

• kyfho
    replied
    Ever have problems with hot chips melting thru the curtain? I know I'm none too happy when they try to embed in me.

Leave a comment:

• BobWarfield
    replied
    Originally posted by lazlo
    I have a Roomaba -- the underside is all plastic and it has a long, soft rubber roller. Steel swarf would tear that up very quickly, and if you use cutting oil, forgetaboutit.

HAP: I love your idea! I need to build something like that, or Lane/Bill's shower curtain. I've been doing a lot of facemilling with 3" cutters, and that sends a spray of swarf all over the shop. I spend more time cleaning up than I do getting work done.
    He has had no problems. Runs a Bridgeport, a Fadal VMC, a couple lathes, surface grinder, you name it. Works great.

Cheers,

BW

Leave a comment:

Working...
X