Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JoeFin
    replied
    Well there are ways around "Taxable Value" - at least in California there are.

If you start out by buying a totaled trailer - but at least it has tandem axles with brake drums for $200, and then you completely rebuild it to the specs you need. That original $200 receipt is what the DMV is going to use to affix a taxable value on the trailer.

Far be it from me to suggest you pay cash and ask for a receipt stating a price LOWER then what you actually paid - that wouldn't be quite honest now would it. Come to think of it - WHO in politics IS quite honest
    Last edited by JoeFin; 04-17-2010, 12:42 PM.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Too_Many_Tools
    I would like to discuss what features and capabilities one would like to see on a trailer whose main purpose in life is moving machines.

Load capability...say about 5000 pounds.

Size...something one can park in front of your house.

Pulling requirements...something that you can pull with the average 1/2 ton pickup.

Let the discussions begin...
    TMT
    I would not consider taxes to be a major issue.

But being able to pull a trailer of reasonable capacity that you can easily store is.

TMT

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    John,

The tax system in the US is a crazy quilt of laws & regulations that not only varies by state, but even by county and city. Assuming all of us are subject to the same tax laws would be like assuming all Europeans have the same tax laws (or that Americans, Brits, Aussies, and Kiwees all speak English ) . For example some states base the vehicle license fee/tax on the value of the vehicle. Others use the weight of the vehicle as the basis for the payment. Some tax commercial vehicles used in agriculture at a much lower rate, others levy lower fees on all commercial vehicles. Go figure.

Like I said, its not consistent across the country.

Stan

Leave a comment:

• HSS
    replied
    John, our property tax bill is as rockrat stated for Ohio, but here in arkansas your property is valued by the number of structures on the property and their construction type, whether

or not your driveway is paved, and any other apparent improvements to the property. Then, you are taxed according to the personal property you own inside the home. They used to

value a color television higher than a black and white set but now they just value them all as color since very few have a black and white anymore. All my machines in my homeshop

would raise my tax burden if they knew I had them. They also value your home by the number of rooms in the house and just kinda lump the furnishings for each room to come to a

value. So, that means I pay tax every year on furniture that I may have bought 10 years ago. The tax never goes down or away and usually goes up. The tax is used for county gvt

and schools.

Patrick

Oh, I forgot to mention any vehicles you might own. They are also included in your personal property tax, cars, trucks, tractors, lawn mowers, boats, atv's, anything you own is

fair game.
    Last edited by HSS; 04-17-2010, 10:15 AM.

Leave a comment:

• rockrat
    replied
    Originally posted by JoeFin
    When I pull over after the first 10 or 20 miles to check my load straps, I always feel my tires for temperature. That will tell you a lot more about proper load distribution then any thing else
    Yea, I was only curious how you did it. The trailer I rent might be a bit different. Once the deck locks in the up position, it does not move foreword or back. So I lock it up and then position the load and start lashing it down.

You make a good point there that I dont think I have see covered with trailers here before. I dont remember who taught me that but what good advice. Things move around and settle in as you drive. Straps pull and relax a bit, chains seat and wood gives just a little.

I will pull over about half way home at a rest stop and check mine a second time. I use it as an excuse to stretch my legs.

rock~

Leave a comment:

• rockrat
    replied
    Originally posted by John Stevenson
    What is a property tax bill ? We have what is known as council tax here, it used to be the old Rates tax covers civic amenities, rubbish, fire, libraries, police etc but it's a fixed sum based on where you live and the size of the property.

Nothing is added to it.

Do all states have this property tax bill ?

All states do it a bit different. I can speak for Ohio. The property tax here is based on real estate. The tax man (or woman) determines what your place is worth and they apply a tax to most of its value. I dont remember exactly what amount but they use at least 80% of what they think the value of your house is calculate what you owe.

This money does a few things. It pays for schools mostly. Also, it covers public services - ie - fire departments, police and sheriff departments, health departments and such. They are talking about adding a bit to tax water that is shead from property into the rivers. They already do this a bit in a different way.

Our property tax in Ohio, legality has been tossed around in court for some time now. It was determined that our state government had to find a different way to collect for schools but they never have and probably never will find a different way.

John, I would guess this is similar to your council taxes.

rock~

Leave a comment:

• Circlip
    replied
    Oh yea, and DON'T got to Toro Rosso for braking system designs.

Regards Ian.

Leave a comment:

• JoeFin
    replied
    Originally posted by rockrat
    I have rented these many times and never had this problem. Are you setting the load forward enough to put the proper tong weight on the towing vehicle?

I will normally measure my bumper height and if it didn't drop 2" when adding the load, I move the load forward. Otherwise, the trailer will want to rock back just a little thus allowing the suspension to try and steer itself which results in the "oscillation of massive death".

First thing I ever towed I made this error and I thought the trucks rear tires would break loose from the pavement. I puckered so tight that I couldnt get my drawers off that night before bed.

rock~
    I've got so many miles towing boats, machines, and work trailers I can't count them

The 3 times I've used the Hydraulic Drop Trailers they all sucked to a varying degree. I use F250s for towing, the current 1 with a Turbo Diesel and Ford's 10K tow package. I don't think you can achieve decent repeatability raising and lowering the hydraulic suspension to have a good alignment on the axiels. Never took 1 apart to see how they indexed the axiels in the raised position but I suspect that is where the problem is

As for proper load position. When I pull over after the first 10 or 20 miles to check my load straps, I always feel my tires for temperature. That will tell you a lot more about proper load distribution then any thing else

Leave a comment:

• John Stevenson
    replied
    Originally posted by HSS
    In arkansas you go to the assessors office and tell them you built a trailer and they add it to your property tax bill then you go to the revenue office and say "hey, I built a trailer and need license."

Patrick
    What is a property tax bill ? We have what is known as council tax here, it used to be the old Rates tax covers civic amenities, rubbish, fire, libraries, police etc but it's a fixed sum based on where you live and the size of the property.

Nothing is added to it.

Do all states have this property tax bill ?

Leave a comment:

• Jim Shaper
    replied
    Originally posted by Davo J
    This one always amazes me, not sure of the rules over their.
    http://bridgeport.askmisterscience.com/bridgeport.htm
    Dave
    Considering 2000# really isn't that much of a load, that trailer is probably quite over built.

Leave a comment:

• bborr01
    replied
    I own about 6 trailers or so.
    Lots of maintainence. Sooooo......
    My flatbed. I told a friend that has extra room in his pole barn that if he would store it for me, I would maintain it and keep it plated. (in Michigan, we have permanent trailer plates. Pay once.) He can use as his own. Nice arrangement.

My pontoon trailer. A friend of mine has a pontoon boat too. Instead of him renting a trailer twice a year or more, he does most of the maint. on it. (wheel bearings, tires and such) Same deal. Use it anytime he wants, just like owning his own.

SeaDoo trailer, speedboat trailer, lawn and garden trailer. I'm on my own with those. So far.

Come to think of it, I guess I am down to 5 trailers now that I sold the gooseneck and the other lawn trailer.

I have been eying those drop deck trailers and a nice big gooseneck though.

Brian

Leave a comment:

• Davo J
    replied
    This one always amazes me, not sure of the rules over their.
    http://bridgeport.askmisterscience.com/bridgeport.htm
    Dave

Leave a comment:

• The Artful Bodger
    replied
    If you need a trailer you have not got a big enough truck!

Leave a comment:

• Vern2
    replied
    You guys got it all wrong. Buy the biggest trailer your wife can connect to the truck. Mine turned out to be 77" wide x 10 foot long. I split the rear gate so she could raise and lower it. Just built a front driver side fork lift gate. That way a fork lift can angle and drop lathe or mill over axle. See Home projects:
    http://www.enichesoftware.com

Vern

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by John Stevenson
    Registration? Tags? Licensing ?

Can someone explain how it works in the US ?
    It varies widely from state to state. In Ohio I had to have a trailer weighed before I could license it. In Mississippi I simply filled out a form and did the same in Nebraska. In Kentucky I had to register my trailer and attach a small registration plate with a state provided VIN. No license is required as it is not a commercial trailer.

It is my understanding California has some very strict rules.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X