How to Imnprove an Engine Crane

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Imnprove an Engine Crane

Many of us own store purchased or homemade engine cranes.

I would like see a discussion as to how one can improve an engine crane.

TMT

Why not fit an electric winch to it .This is a Godsend belive me. I have tried it when lifting my hacksaw.Alistair
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

hoist

After I got my hoist I realized just how sloppy all the pivots were, put the various pieces on the BRPT bored the holes out to the next common size, made new pins, the improvement was unbelieveable, the boom didn't shake any more and was a lot stabler when doing a lift.

Comment

Mine is the folding version. I have had to remove engines from some rather narrow British cars and the legs wanted to be where the front tires of the vehicle are. I cut and rewelded the legs so they were narrower and would fit between the vehicle's tires. They can also be swapped side to side to clear some larger, wider objects you want to pick up. This was helpful when lifting some large stones into my pickup.
        Under construction - MGB roadster widened 11.5" with Corvette C-4 suspension front and rear, 440 hp LT1 V8 with a T-56 6 speed.

Lots of pictures here
        Part 1 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,7581
        Part 2 http://forum.britishv8.org/read.php?13,22422

Comment

I'd like larger wheels on mine, of course this could be a drawback should the lift be used for its intended purpose rather than general lifting.

Comment

I have the HF 2 ton and I only lift machines in my shop. None over 1/2 ton. I'd like to add an air over hyd. ram and wondered if anyone had done that and how well it worked? Larger smoother rolling casters are also on my list.
            I'm in it for the parking....

Comment

I added a small hand winch to mine (mostly because I had it sitting on the shelf) and doubled up the cable to give a 2 to 1 ratio just to half the distance it lowers between stops without using the hydraulic cylinder. The winch is at the mast end of the boom and I installed a grooved roller in the boom end for the cable. It's more controllable when lowering something than the hydraulic cylinder is.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Stabe
                Mine is the folding version. I have had to remove engines from some rather narrow British cars and the legs wanted to be where the front tires of the vehicle are. I cut and rewelded the legs so they were narrower and would fit between the vehicle's tires. They can also be swapped side to side to clear some larger, wider objects you want to pick up. This was helpful when lifting some large stones into my pickup.
                Got a pic of that?

Comment

Pullzall

Originally posted by Arcane
                  I added a small hand winch to mine (mostly because I had it sitting on the shelf) and doubled up the cable to give a 2 to 1 ratio just to half the distance it lowers between stops without using the hydraulic cylinder. The winch is at the mast end of the boom and I installed a grooved roller in the boom end for the cable. It's more controllable when lowering something than the hydraulic cylinder is.
                  I'd be very careful about using a hand - or any other - "winch" that is made for "pulling" as most or many are - boat and 4WD winches included. The package message on those will warn you to use it for pulling only any NOT to use it for lifting.

I had a very narrow "squeak" with a cable and ratchet "come-along" which over-ran when I reversed the pawl - it started to "run back" under load but thankfully "caught" - just in time. Just as in the pullzall video

Lesson learned - never again.

All of my lifting gear is "rated". I have chain blocks as well a 1/2 ton "pullzall" - great machine with excellent control:
                  www.pullzall.com.au

http://www.pullzall.com.au/default.a...article&ID=106

http://www.pullzall.com.au/default.a...article&ID=105

Comment

Originally posted by kcleere
                    I have the HF 2 ton and I only lift machines in my shop. None over 1/2 ton. I'd like to add an air over hyd. ram and wondered if anyone had done that and how well it worked?
                    I installed an air over hydraulic ram on one of mine. First lesson is remove the wire bail on the air valve. I was lifting the gear box off my lathe and had the bail lock the valve open. I almost broke a casting while trying to stop it. No damage to lathe, but the bail is not on the valve anymore.

I have it on a fold-up unit and it sure is nice not having to stand and pump the ram up from the storage position. I picked the ram up from HF during one of their sales. I have not used it a lot, but it works fine and I have nothing bad to say about it.

Comment

Casters. The factory caster on ALL cherry picker engine hoists I've seen are barely adequate. I installed 5" fixed frame phenolic wheel casters in front and 4" swivel in back. It glides over not too rough concrete. My nephew has it now. I never get to use it.

Comment

I have to modify mine so the boom goes in against the ram when folded up. I see some designs that have a bend in the boom to allow this.
                        One question on the air/hydraulic cylinders is, can you lift the load with the air or is it just to lift the arm up into position then you have to manually pump it to lift the load.
                        I did see somewhere that a bloke ground out and rewelded all the crappy welds, I need to do that as well. Some of the welds have under cut and others just not enough weld on them.
                        I also noticed the main pivot bolt has 2 grooves worn in it from the boom so I will be changing that and putting a piece of tube in the boom.
                        They need a bit of refining, but for the price you cant even buy the steel.
                        Dave

Comment

Air will lift the load..........

We've got a couple of these at work, when you see how beefy they are comapred to the usual Asia offerings hard to believe anybody's actually testing their ratings...........

http://www.otctools.com/products/2,2...avy-duty_crane

TMT in anticipation of a future thread about engine stands.........LOL I would also follow this design.......This is the axis of rotation your really want for engine work and yes the 6K rating is correct..........LOL

http://www.otctools.com/products/600...l_engine_stand
                          Last edited by hardtail; 04-17-2010, 01:29 AM.
                          Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

Comment

i bought one last week and am afraid to use it. im going to wait till i have my lath set up and do some improvements to it. but first of all, im going to replace all bolts, they are 4.8 grade (bolt for wood). i am also looking for some polyurethane wheels that fit, as the cast iron ones would scratch up my floor. i also want to add an extention, so i can work up to the ceiling, the legs are long enough, much to long in fact. anyway, the thing cost me considabely less on a per kilo basis than the rusty concrete reinforcement steel i bought the other day.

Comment

Originally posted by hardtail
                              TMT in anticipation of a future thread about engine stands.........LOL I would also follow this design.......This is the axis of rotation your really want for engine work and yes the 6K rating is correct..........LOL

http://www.otctools.com/products/600...l_engine_stand
                              Darn...beat me to it. ;<)

TMT

Comment

Working...
                              X