Casters - more please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Casters - more please

Saw the post on quality casters and wondering: how to equate load with caster type and wheel diameter.

I know casters have a load rating; if that rating is adequate what would influence the choice of wheel material, diameter, etc? For example, would a larger diameter wheel roll more easily under load than a smaller diameter?
    What are the pros & cons of various wheel materials: urethane, steel/cast iron, etc?

How accurate are the load ratings? Is a hefty safety factor recommended?
    Are swivel casters load derated vs fixed?

What about asymetric loading? I am thinking of a bench with a metal lathe - the headstock end is heavier.

Try www.ServiceCaster.com

JL..............

Comment

Originally posted by Dunc
      Saw the post on quality casters and wondering: how to equate load with caster type and wheel diameter.

I know casters have a load rating; if that rating is adequate what would influence the choice of wheel material, diameter, etc? For example, would a larger diameter wheel roll more easily under load than a smaller diameter?
      What are the pros & cons of various wheel materials: urethane, steel/cast iron, etc?

How accurate are the load ratings? Is a hefty safety factor recommended?
      Are swivel casters load derated vs fixed?

What about asymetric loading? I am thinking of a bench with a metal lathe - the headstock end is heavier.
      Very good question. ;<)

Especially since many of us score casters off old carts, machines, etc. where we have no idea its original specs.

One issue I would consider is what you cannot easily see...what is the axle like?

Some are a plain axle while others have bearings.

If I were a manufacturer, the axle would be the first place I would cut costs, quality and load capacity.

TMT

Comment

I would say that like most Chinese stuff, they (or perhaps the MBAs that order it) are FAR optimistic in rating. I think the HF caster ratings are meant to be the max for which they probably will not completely collapse. Try using them anywhere near that rating, and the rubber will flat spot if left sitting, and even before you'll need help getting it to roll.

But in general, the smaller portion of the load rating that you use, the easier they will be to roll. If you worry about damage to concrete, the better "rubber" tired wheels will be desired. If loads are high, and floor suitable, I prefer steel wheels which roll easy. Particularly for swivel/caster wheels, you may consider crowned tires to aid in the swivel steering, but consider that this reduces contact area and increases PSI loading.

All else being equal, larger diameter usually rolls easier for a given load, but again, there are trade-offs.

Or to rephrase, "it depends".
        Russ
        Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Originally posted by BadDog
          I would say that like most Chinese stuff, they (or perhaps the MBAs that order it) are FAR optimistic in rating. I think the HF caster ratings are meant to be the max for which they probably will not completely collapse. Try using them anywhere near that rating, and the rubber will flat spot if left sitting, and even before you'll need help getting it to roll.

When I first started a shop, I used rubber casters.

BIG MISTAKE.

Over time, they ALL develop a flat spot...whether they were the cheap or expensive kind.

Save yourself time and money by using something other than rubber casters.

TMT

Comment

My favorite caster wheel material (for a smooth concrete shop floor) is phenolic. Everything in my shop is on casters. The phenolic ones dont get flat spots & they don't mark up the floor like the steel ones. AND...they roll like a dream.

My best ones are the ones I keep robbing off of my NMW car dolly's.
            They seem to have gone out of business & I can't find out who the manufacturer of the casters was.

Comment

I've bought several sets of casters from these folks, never a problem and there is a lot of information here:

http://www.castercity.com/

rollin'

Comment

Working...
              X