Uses for 1-2-3 blocks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uses for 1-2-3 blocks?

I know I'm not the best at google searching, but I've been trying to dig up some tutorials on ways of using 1-2-3 blocks. I'm not coming up with much and my imagination isn't stretching on this one.
    Would any of you be able to help out here, 'twould be very much appreciated.
    Thanks,
    allthumbs9

I use them for storing little mill cutters.

Now, if the holes were big enough to get bolts through then then I have a thousand clamping and set up uses for them.

Any tips on opening the holes in hardened blocks?
    "...do you not think you have enough machines?"

Comment

Buy a set with bigger holes I guess. Short of grinding you are not going to do anything to them.

I have a multitude of different 1-2-3's from ones with 1/2" or so hole all the way to solid. I have a set with counterbored holes for 3/8-16 SCHS with alternate holes tapped for that. Easy to bolt to other things or bolt to them.

Comment

I use them anywhere a cement block or brick isn't precision enough for the job at hand. They work well for lifting projects off the mill table (as in spacer) so you don't crash into your mill table. They are about the right weight and size to hurl at someone if they enter the shop and goose you while you are running a machine.
        Last edited by Your Old Dog; 04-19-2010, 07:19 AM.
        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Use 'em

Originally posted by allthumbs9
          I know I'm not the best at google searching, but I've been trying to dig up some tutorials on ways of using 1-2-3 blocks. I'm not coming up with much and my imagination isn't stretching on this one.
          Would any of you be able to help out here, 'twould be very much appreciated.
          Thanks,
          allthumbs9
          1-2-3 and 4-5-6 etc. blocks can be very handy as they can be bolted to each other or anything else.

If you have accurately matched pairs you can use them as very accurate spacers or "packers" etc. Size is not important but that they are accurately matched is important. Get them (re?)ground if needs be.

They work very well as large "slip guages" and make "stacking" slip guages on a surface plate etc. very much easier and very stable.

They work very well as large parallel strips.

Once you start to use and appreciate what they can be used for, you will be surprised at just how versatile and handy they are.

Comment

I love these things for milling large pieces of plate....clamp one or two in the vise and bolt the plate down to the block. That way I don't have to remove the vise for a smallish job (cuz I'm usually in a hurry).
            I've held some pretty weird stuff using this method.
            Russ
            I have tools I don't even know I own...

Comment

I've used (3) 2-4-6 blocks as a riser for a BP. Lengths of all thread for turret bolts and to keep turret from sliding off while raising it up to set blocks in place. Needed the height to bore end of a robot stand-off. Stand-off too big in dia. to hang over table.
              Used blocks for parrallels, locators, risers at surf. plate, bolted togather as 90 degree locator. Have used 'em in vise to clamp work. Imagination will help you to figure out other uses.
              Krutch
              Krutch

Mentally confused and prone to wandering!

Comment

Originally posted by Davidhcnc
                I use them for storing little mill cutters.
                I thought that is what all the holes in most Bridgeport tables were for.

TMT

Comment

I used one once to space some stuff off the face of my lathe chuck (turning a thin part)

..then it fell outta the chuck and dinged my ways!
                  Allways cover the ways when adding blocks...And never turn on the lathe with them still installed unless you wanna pick em back up from across the shop.
                  Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I use mine for many things, ground my own set to 1/2/3 within .0002, which helped me in confidence in using them as a measuring tool.

1. Checking tool offsets on CNC runs, use a Z1.000 and M01 (optional stop) and they help check that height before I mash a part (or Z2.0 or 3.0 on larger machines)

2. Setting offsets of tools away from a finished part - CNC or manual touch off then lift the knee

3. Set-ups for surface grinding.

4. Use for a known height while using my Measuring probes (Fowler Altia).

5. Tramming a mill table in a single axis (X and Y)

6. Dual vise set-ups where as I need to lift a surfacing part to get above the jaws and can set the "Z height" to match. I can use the bottom of the part as the Z0.

Other sets I have are used as "table bricks" for lifting parts

Open holes in hardened parts using a carbide drill - slow.
                    CCBW, MAH

Comment

They can be used to measure taper as shown here - the diameter is measured at exactly 1" separation giving the taper/inch.

http://thevirtualbarandgrill.com/mac...suretaper1.jpg

http://thevirtualbarandgrill.com/mac...suretaper2.jpg
                      Last edited by dp; 04-21-2010, 04:05 PM.

Comment

I didn't know what they were used for either. I'm glad someone asked the question.

Thanks for sharing that taper idea too. I need to do that.
                        san jose, ca. usa

Comment

dp:

looks like you measured the taper at 1 1/8" and 2 1/8" respectivly

Edit:
                          Never mind, looks like you subtracted the 2" measurement from the 1" measurement

Comment

I frequently use one to square my tool holder to the chuck, or squaring other work.

Comment

I use my 1, 2, 3 blocks on the welding table they work great.

Comment

Working...
                              X