Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Micro-Shop (A.K.A. This Old Micro-Shop)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• abn
    replied
    Nice and organized...Good to see someone with a smaller shop than mine! Unfortunately mine also has to serve as general storage for my stuff. I'm going to have to ebay some junk so I can make some space for more unfinished projects.

Good luck on the knee mill in that spot (unless you're talking about one of the smaller enco type knee mills). I'm trying to get my Tree usable and it just takes a lot of space to fully articulate the thing. I'm considering looking for a smaller xy table and mounting it to the knee and putting the 10x52 table under the workbench.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Arrrgggg, lucky bastich.

Leave a comment:

• debequem
    replied
    Hey, Guys,

I want to thank each and every one of you for the kind words. Thanks!!!!

The two buckets contain current stock, but the neat thing is about 30 minutes away is a metal recycler that sell all kinds of aluminum at $1 a pound. I even bought 6 sheets of 3' by 10' .070" sheet aluminum. Stuff was brand new with the paper wraper on each sheet. That stuff is in the garage. :-)

Leave a comment:

• BFHAMR
    replied
    Marv,

Nice shop, certainly nothing to be ashamed of. My first machine was my lathe. I needed a shop to put it in, the only problem was the old farm shed I wanted to put it in was not heated and the roof leaked, so I made a shed inside of the shed, complete with roof! It was only about 8' square.

I see in your photos that you don't have the proverbial "scrap box" but two scrap buckets. I suppose you're going to tell us that these two buckets supply all the material you will ever need.:-)

Dan

Leave a comment:

• mpbush
    replied
    Why be embarrased? My shop is only 12 X 20 and there are trails through it so you can get to things and the best surface to work on is the table of my wood shaper as my bench is covered with gunstocks. At least yours is clean and organized

And get this, I just bought a 2 spindle gunstock duplicator that is 6X7 feet and it has to go in...somewhere.

I am going to remove a bunch of shelves and get rid of everything that is critical and in frequent use and cram the machine in.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    I need to get a 5 gallon bucket for all the chips that are on the lathe now, its over flowing!
    Yes, Model airplanes, boats, cars, rockets, heck, im into everything. Hopefully within a couple of years, you'll see a steam locomotive there too.
    In our old house, we had a extended 2 car garage with a complete wood shop. I really miss that shop. In the finals days of that house, I was slowly trying to turn it into a metal shop. Some one gave us an offer on the house out of the blue that we could not refuse. End of story.

Leave a comment:

• G.A. Ewen
    replied
    BillH,
    That is a good start bill. I like to see chips in the chip pan.

Leave a comment:

• Al Messer
    replied
    No need for you to feel embarassed or for us to laugh. You have done well. My first "shop" measured 4' x 6' and was a storage room at the end of the carport.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied

[This message has been edited by pgmrdan (edited 03-19-2004).]

Leave a comment:

• debequem
    replied
    Guero,

Thanks! So do I.

I only wish I had a mill that was as good as the Emco lathe!

Anyone have a good suggestion as an upgrade beyond the Asian mill/drills?

Marv

Leave a comment:

• Guero
    replied
    Nice shop and I'm coveting your Emco lathe.

Leave a comment:

• darryl
    replied
    I have a feeling you are trying to tell us something- maybe it's "don't fire up the 50 horse vacuum in a very small room, it'll suck the meat right off your bones!". Anyway, nice arrangement for a small room. I once had to make do with a room 8 ft long, by 4 ft wide. Had only the Unimat lathe and a drill press then, plus the usual assortment of tools, of course. The whole place wasn't 300 sq ft. When I got the table saw, it went into the living room, and I lived in the bedroom.

Leave a comment:

• Evan
    replied
    Rockets, He he, I like rockets. Why is it all the really cool stuff that we can make is illegal? Stuff that goes WHOOSH.......BOOM. Always wanted to build a bazooka. HEY!.. It's all a mistake! Rattle, rattle...

Leave a comment:

• winchman
    replied
    BillH,

Rocket, balsa wood, model plane fuel can?? Are you a model plane flyer, too??

Roger

Leave a comment:

• inspectorsparky
    replied
    Wow, you have 17 SqFt less than I have, but you have 7 more machines than I do---
    HOW U DO DAT????
    Geeze, I'm so cramped for space between the mill and the wife-Hmmm, wonder which one I need to get rid of to make space for more machines????
    :-)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X