making a lathe mandrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• making a lathe mandrel

I have a couple of questions about making a lathe mandrel or morse taper. First, is O1 rod a decent choice of material? Second, Do I turn the shaft to size, then harden or do I leave some room, harden the material, then finish to size. If the latter, can I finish with HSS, or will it have to be carbide?

Thanks for the guidance.

I would recommend 1144. I think it machines better than O1 and one can get an excellent finish with either carbide or HSS tooling.

Just finished a spindle mounted ER25 collet chuck using 1144 and have decided that it doesn't need to be hardened as I am in HSM mode.

Geoff

Comment

If you harden it you will need to finish it by grinding or use an insert made for hard turning. Neither HSS nor standard carbide will work.

Comment

Thanks, that answers my questions.

Comment

Now that's a Mandrel

Came in at work the other day from one of our suppliers
          Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Whats a special hard turning cutter? I've always used carbide or a grinder.

Comment

Whats a special hard turning cutter?
              CBN, also available in the shape of carbide inserts. But they are a bit pricey.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by MuellerNick
                CBN, also available in the shape of carbide inserts. But they are a bit pricey.

Nick
                And don't even think about an interrupted cut OUCH
                Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

And don't even think about an interrupted cut OUCH
                  There's a geometry for interruped cuts available. Works up to 60 HRC. ISO-code "CBN 725 T".
                  But I have no experience.

Nick

Comment

How long a mandrel, what diameter, what sort of lathe do you have?

What sort of accuracy do you want..
                    Precision takes time.

Comment

Working...
                    X