Weld Bead in Square Tubing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weld Bead in Square Tubing

I am working on a project that requires one square tube to telescope into another and then into yet another. I have had some box tubes that telescoped very well ( 1" box, 1/8" wall fits well into 1 1/4", and 3/4' fits well into the 1") The tubes I need will be each be about four feet long, creating about a 8-9 ft telescoped piece.

The problem is that my steel carrier only carries what he calls "structural" box tubing. This stuff has a weld bead on the seam inside that prevents the smaller tube from sliding in. I could simply file or grind the bead off if the pieces were to be short, but I'm stumped as to how to remove the weld bead from a four foot section of box tube. I need to do the 1¼” and the 1”. The ¾" will not require “de-beading”.

Any ideas? On how to remove the beads to make a smooth interior surface?

THX
    Mark

One was is not to try and remove the weld, but instead to go down a size on the inner, or up one on the outer. Put a collar in the end of the outer section as a guide and another on the end of the inner. That one can have a notch to clear the weld.
    Paul Compton
    www.morini-mania.co.uk
    http://www.youtube.com/user/EVguru

Comment

I think there is not much guaranty about how much the weld sticks out at the inner side of the tube.
      You could shave that off with some kind of homemade broach.

Nick

Comment

I've seen the problem addressed by milling a recess along the length on the outside of the inner tube to clear the weld bead.
        Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
        ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

I like the broach idea. I think that would work out.
          Andy

Comment

I like the broach idea.
            But I have to admit, that milling a recess at the inner tube is much simpler.

Nick

Comment

weirdscience has made a broach, details are in this thread;

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/sho...=square+tubing
              Jim H.

Comment

I like the broach idea too, but the flash/weld are not always in the same spot on the inside of the tube. Something to consider when building the broach.
                Design to 0.0001", measure to 1/32", cut with an axe, grind to fit

Comment

I have bought "trailer hitch receiver tube" from a local fab shop here. Has no weld protruding on the inside. Not sure if this is widely available or just a local thing. It was more $ but well worth it when I wanted a sliding fit on sq. tube.

Comment

Check with any larger steel supplies in your area... they do make tubing that will nestle inside one another. The supplier I use has it. If you have a good relation with yours they may let you look thru the lot... I've found length that had the welded seam in the corner so it looked like it had been drawn over a mandrel. I don't have the catalogue in front of me or I'd give you the # for the tube.

A quick peek on the net got me this.
                    http://www.alliedtube.com/pdf/squarefit.pdf

So maybe check McMaster... Granger or Fastenal and see if they have it. Fastenal sells stock by the " or ' at fare price. So if you need less then full sticks they maybe the best.
                    Wow... where did the time go. I could of swore I was only out there for an hour.

Comment

Another option is to change to useing two peices of angle iron, and grind the radius on the outside of the mating peice.. or make it outta 4 peices of flat bar welded togethor.

But yea, the broch is probley the best option.
                      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Broaching works and works well,but in longer lengths it requires some machinery.

If you don't need a huge supply of the stuff McMaster has it at a reasonalbe cost.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#telescoping-tubing/=6rz1uz

Only thing is 1-1/2 is the smallest they offer.
                        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Come to think of it, the local farm supply store sells 3' lengths of telescoping tubing for PTO drive shaft material. IIRC, it is 1" square.

IIRC, Princess Auto up here in Canuckland has it too.
                          Design to 0.0001", measure to 1/32", cut with an axe, grind to fit

Comment

The Metal Supermarket has it square stock that will slide inside each other.

Comment

I'm feeling challenged tonight. Could someone explain how this broach works?

http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/sho...=square+tubing

Comment

Working...
                              X