Hydraulic reservoir question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hydraulic reservoir question

I've got a little 13HP tractor with a front end loader. The piece going up is the vertical support, with the cross piece going under the tractor the horizontal piece going under the frame. The vert tube also acts as the hydraulic res and leaks. Is there any gasket on these? Can I just take apart, clean and put a gasket?

I can't back up more to get a better overall pic. Going to be draining since I need to remove the hoses to fix a broken weld going to the loader. Figured as long as it was empty I'd remove and fix if possible.

Thanks,
    Rich

The old Case ''CK'' series loaders had a loader frame hyd. res. that was always cracking and leaking, and it looks like You may have a similar problem.
    Clean up the area as best You can with a wire brush followed by brake cleaner or carb and choke cleaner and I'll bet You find a crack .

Steve

Comment

Before you do any cleaning with brake clean, have a read in this old thread. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/sho...t=Phosgene+gas

Comment

Originally posted by Arcane
        Before you do any cleaning with brake clean, have a read in this old thread. http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/sho...t=Phosgene+gas
        Did I type ''Brake Clean'' ? What I meant to type was Simple Green .

Steve

Comment

... it seems like hydraulics leak no matter what!

One thing I'd suggest is that you replace those "plumbing" fittings with ones made specifically for hydraulics...

Examples:

http://www.discounthydraulichose.com...FRienAodFgyJyw

Comment

Mike,

That's the return line, no pressure, as indicated by the worm clamp on the hose.The right push on hose barb and you wouldn't even need the clamp.

Spray it down with some kind of cleaner to get it dry, get some Dye-Chek spray, or even make some "whitewash", lime in water to consistency of paint, paint and let dry, stand it up, fill it and see where the seepage is.

You find it, empty it, seal it, weld or braze, whatever, and try again.

OR, you pressurize it, coat it with soapy liquid, chase bubbles. Hell, we did that in the Westinghouse with 14 foot diameter generators, 4 inch welds. Pressurize and chase bubbles. Dig out, weld, pressurize again, and, Hydrogen cooled, they would leak through micron sized breaches. You can't see them, if there ain't a bubble, you can't tell it leaks, or where it leaks.

Hydraulics don't, by design, leak. That they do has more to do with the designers of the parts designated, that don't meet spec, than the engineer deciding that XX gallons per hour is acceptable.

Hydraulics is supposed to be a closed loop. NO loss. That is, of course, impossible, but still.

Cheers,

George

Comment

Originally posted by gmatov
              Mike,

That's the return line, no pressure, as indicated by the worm clamp on the hose.The right push on hose barb and you wouldn't even need the clamp...
              Hmmm... I can understand that on the suction side but on the return line???? Regardless, from the picture, it shows leaking at that connection.

Comment

One thought might be to just buy a new resavor tank, $100~200 at princess auto, and locate it somewhere else on the tractor.

Last person I talked to who welded up a hydrolic tank that had been in service told me he proceeded to puke 5 mins after completing the job due to the fumes.

Lots of cleaning work and even that is still gonna be nasty to weld.
                Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Thanks all. Will clean and see if I can see what's leaking.

Went out to try and take a better pic last night and if I was really, really motivated the vertical column on the other side of the tractor has the same fittings, but nothing hooked to them. Think I could just switch them.

Rich

Comment

If your loader is like the one I used to have, the reservoir includes the "towers" on both sides and the tube going underneath the tractor between them. If there's a crack in one tower, switching the fittings to the other one wouldn't fix the problem!

Of course yours may be different. . . .

Jim

Comment

Mike,

Pressure on suction or return is going to be minimal. You're going into a reservoir, not into a cylinder nor motor, and sucking FROM a reservoir. No pressure to speak of.

IF they had a simple tank, they could use dip tubes, unsecured, to take up fluid and to return fluid. It does not require 1500 PSI connections for suction and return lines.

Go look at your power steering pump. Screw clamps on both fittings to the reservoir, if it is separate reservoir, screw clamp on the return if it is part of the pump, HP fitting on discharge side.

Cheers,

George

Comment

Working...
                      X