Flip this Vice. Is it worth it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flip this Vice. Is it worth it?

Found this on Craigslist this morning. I'm just toying with the idea of buying this vice to refurbish and flip on a hot Wilton Vice Market before everyone wakes up and realizes the metal arts will soon be long forgotten and next to worthless.

If I blasted it, powder coat painted it, did some body work on the handles and cleaned up the jaws, do you think I could get enough for it to buy me a mass spectron accelerator?

Not sure why a "vice", in all it's glory, can command the prices they do?

this

This one is not mine, just web shot but is what I use now but it doesn't say Wilton on it. It cost me $56.00, extremely handy in it's features and isn't weakened by the imprint of "wilton" on it.

Last edited by Your Old Dog; 04-24-2010, 08:50 AM.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Have you priced new Wilton bullet vices? If you have then you know why they sell so well used.

Comment

Originally posted by Ohio Mike
      Have you priced new Wilton bullet vices? If you have then you know why they sell so well used.
      Hi Mike,
      I know they are ridiculously expensive. For commercial venture they "may" be worth the price. But I can't understand why so many hsm'ers get google eye'd over a Wilton? The one pictured below (only without the wilton name) is about $56.00 and does far more handy then the bullet Wilton. I can understand pride of ownership but then theres
      o s t e n t a t i o u s I'd hate for one of my friends to ask me what I paid for my new Wilton and what did I pay for my new Rung Foo mill !!

My dad used to say "it's like putting a $100 saddle on a $10.00 horse!"
      Last edited by Your Old Dog; 04-24-2010, 10:15 AM.
      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Well, I'd think that a simple look at the proportions of teh two would show you some of the reasons why one is better for purposes other than "general consumer light duty use".

of course if those things are no important to you, or if you value the "all purpose appearance" of teh blue wonder", then you are not a "wilton bullet customer"..... You are not one of the ones who knows the reasons, can tell the difference, and cares.

I have seen those chinese vises with the wide but skinny "wings"...... and narrow, minimum metal content castings. Vises like that have their purposes, but they are not for the same things.

You are comparing two widely different types of vise.. if you see no difference, then more power to you, use the "blue wonder" and don't worry your head about it.

Keep eye on ball.
        Hashim Khan

Comment

That blue one is Chinese made,no doubt. A lot of new Wilton stuff is,including my too expensive Wilton Square Wheel grinder. I had to true up the 10" belt drive wheel when I first got it.

Comment

Don't mock me....
            I put a $250 Baldor motor on a $199 Enco bandsaw.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
              I'll bet your dad also said "If I have to ride a $10 horse it better be on a $100 saddle to cushion MY $1,000,000 arse!"

Priorities
              Len

Comment

I like that old vise.

Comment

The Wiltons are nice vices. As a hsm'r, I believe I actually abuse my vise MORE now than I ever did when I worked in a shop. In a shop I usually had the right tools, now I have to make the vise do the work!

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers
                    Well, I'd think that a simple look at the proportions of teh two would show you some of the reasons why one is better for purposes other than "general consumer light duty use".

of course if those things are no important to you, or if you value the "all purpose appearance" of teh blue wonder", then you are not a "wilton bullet customer"..... You are not one of the ones who knows the reasons, can tell the difference, and cares.

I have seen those chinese vises with the wide but skinny "wings"...... and narrow, minimum metal content castings. Vises like that have their purposes, but they are not for the same things.

You are comparing two widely different types of vise.. if you see no difference, then more power to you, use the "blue wonder" and don't worry your head about it.
                    Jay, how many Bullet Wiltons you got?

So, if I read your post correctly, you're saying if the wings on the cheaper vises weren't so wide they'd be more like the wiltons? ! To me the "only" reason to own a wilton is "IF" they use a larger screw then the chicom stuff. I have bent one screw on a vice that looks like the second one pictured but it took a 4 foot cheater pipe to do it. Had to replace the vise with another $56,00 one. That means I can do this about about 18 more times before it would have benefited me to buy a wilton.

Comment

Don't need them..... got this adjusting-jaw Reed.... weighs about 60 to 100 lb. Looks small, but is nearly 2 feet long. it cost less than half what your chicom vise cost, because nobody realized that the adjusting jaw was not "broken", but a feature... I made it a pin.

I don't like those "wing" vises because the 'wings" would break off in the type of heavier usage I have.... I see broken ones at estate sales....

Spelling edited
                      Last edited by J Tiers; 04-24-2010, 12:44 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers
                        Don't need them..... got this adjusting-jaw Reed.... weighs about 60 to 100 lb. Looks small, but is nearly 2 feet long. it cost les than half what your chicom vise cost, because nobody realized that teh adjusting jaw was not "brkoken", but a feature... I made it a pin.

(pix removed)

I don't like those "wing" vises because the 'wings" would break off in the type of heavier usage I have.... I see broken ones at estate sales....
                        NOW there is a vise I'd realy like to have. Never saw one before.
                        ...lew...

Comment

NOW there is a vise I'd realy like to have. Never saw one before.
                          Gimme a break. That POS has orange paint all over it.

Comment

I picked up my Wilton bullet vise with swivel base on craigslist for $100.

Comment

Why so expensive for used, beat up vises?

Well, cast iron is over $2.00 per pound. That is the basic value of the raw material when brought to the retail level. So a 25 pound vise has over $50 in just the raw material (the CI) value.

There seems to be some value in the Wilton brand name. At least for older products that were not made offshore. And a vise is a useful tool which is NOT going the way of the Dodo. Any metal shop needs a vise and we do still need metal shops, even in this day and age. Even in the US.

So the prices you see on the used market may not all be completely out of line. Besides, anything is worth whatever a buyer is willing to pay for it.
                              Paul A.

Make it fit.
                              You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Working...
                              X