• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow this looks interesting Soda Blaster

what do you guys make of this.video?Alistair

http://www.garagenight.tv/diy-soda-b...own-rig-cheap/
    Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Abrasive cleaning to be sure. I guess you could use anything that will flow to clean with. What next gunpowder? Sewer squeezzens?
    Maybe that will work for my teeth, The baking soda that is.
    Krutch

Mentally confused and prone to wandering!

Comment

There is a lot to be liked about that for incidental small parts, also very safe with no harmful dust and it's quick and pretty cheap to make and use.
      Does not look like it would replace a glass blaster any time soon though. Have heard of commercial units that used baking soda, also dry ice.

Comment

What about household salt ? I rather think this would be good too .If it would work.Alistair
        Please excuse my typing as I have a form of parkinsons disease

Comment

Yes, Ive heard that baking soda is good for putting a final finish on alloy parts ..Been known for years .

but this gets me wondering .

Metal nozzles on blast guns wear out at a hell of a rate ..
          I've noticed it is very hard to blast a plastic or painted material

The harder the surface you are blasting ..the easier it is ..

Now then, how about plastic blast gun nozzles instead of metal ones ......worth a thought .

How about molded plasticine / play-dough modelling clay nozzle ....the grit will embed in theplasticine nozzle and stop it wearing out perhaps ..going on the lines of bearing material like babbit that achieves the same results

all the best.markj

Comment

Originally posted by aboard_epsilon
            Metal nozzles on blast guns wear out at a hell of a rate ..
            Mine has the same nozzle after almost 25 years, while not used every day has had very frequent use, has only had glass blasting media through it and is made of carbide, honestly, while I never have measured it too new for comparison, it looks like it did when it was new.

Ken

Comment

Here's a review of the processes and pro's and con's of the media:

http://www.crankshaftcoalition.com/wiki/Soda_blasting

Comment

Originally posted by Alistair Hosie
                What about household salt ? I rather think this would be good too .If it would work.Alistair
                Sure I bet it would work as well or better then baking soda, down side the dust would be very corrosive and would kill any plant life where ever it fell or the rain would carry it.

May also be an irritant and may pose some risk to those with heart issues because of the potential ingestion of the salt dust but that is just thinking out loud.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken_Shea
                  Mine has the same nozzle after almost 25 years, while not used every day has had very frequent use, has only had glass blasting media through it and is made of carbide, honestly, while I never have measured it too new for comparison, it looks like it did when it was new.

Ken
                  Well this is mine ..and nozzles last about two hours ..
                  note it says ...•All metal construction with specially hardened steel nozzle•
                  Think they were about £6 each last time i bought them
                  http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...-gritblast-gun

all the best.markj

Comment

Originally posted by aboard_epsilon
                    Well this is mine ..and nozzles last about two hours ..
                    note it says ...•All metal construction with specially hardened steel nozzle•
                    Think they were about £6 each last time i bought them
                    http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...-gritblast-gun

all the best.markj
                    Next time you get a new nozzle, take a file to it and see what that does, you might be able to make one that is better and harder.

Comment

Carbide inner and outer tips are available for standard bead blasting guns for around $35 to $40 US a pair. If you get carbide, you'll never need another one. Mine are still going strong after more than 15 years in my blast cabinet.

I''ve used course and fine glass, soda, walnut shells and lately copper slag. It's all good.

Comment

Just curiass. Am I the only one who thinks the kid went through a lot of work on a part that appears to be cracked in the middle of it? Does not show on one side but does on the dirty side before and after cleaning. Could be a casting mark but why would one be at that location on the part?

Baking Soda looks like good medium but I have to wonder about the clumping. I would think after a period of time you'd have a brick of baking soda and a clean fresh smelling shop
                        - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                        Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I wouldn't mind trying this. Where would one buy baking soda in quantities bigger than the little boxes you get at the grocery?

Comment

Originally posted by Punkinhead
                            I wouldn't mind trying this. Where would one buy baking soda in quantities bigger than the little boxes you get at the grocery?
                            Got a Sams Club near you?
                            13.5 pound bag $6.16 here.

Comment

Years ago I worked for a division of GE that made instrumentation for aircraft. Some of the position sensors were made by wrapping a toroidal form with very fine varnish insulated resistive wire. The wire needed to have the varnish stripped off in specific places. This was accomplished using a mask and a soda blaster. The soda blaster was just abrasive enough that it took off the varnish without harming the wire itself. That unit recycled the blast media, keeping it dry so it would feed smoothly was a bit of a headache. I seem to recall that the media cabinet was kept warm and purged with dry air or maybe nitrogen to prevent it from absorbing moisture from the air.

Neat system for some applications.

Comment

Working...
                              X