Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Has anyone tried the harborfreight 9" angle grinder?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone tried the harborfreight 9" angle grinder?

My brother's birthday is coming up soon, he's one of those people who is impossible to buy for.
    When he needs a new tool or something, he just goes out and buys it.

I thought harborfreight's 9" grinder might be a pretty good choice, mostly just because he doesn't have one.
    It might come in handy working on his truck or something.
    It's not something that would get used every day, but I think it would come in handy now and then.
    He has a 4 1/2" dewalt and a harborfreight chopsaw that handle most of the cutting.

I've had pretty good luck with my harborfreight power tools, but I was wondering if anybody has tried this one.
    http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=93179

I know it's not going to last forever, but I just don't wan't it to turn to goo the first time he uses it.

Of course a dewalt or similar would be better, but a dewalt that size is almost $200.
    I just don't have that much money for one.

Thanks
    -Mike

I've got a dewalt 7" grinder and would have trouble telling you the last time I used it. It's the 15A version and spins something like 3600rpm, so it's got a lot of power, but doesn't remove metal all that fast unless you really muscle into it (and most of your effort is spent controlling the 12# tool).

I'd also be very offended if someone gave me a horrible freight grinder as a gift and knew or should be expected to know better. I still have issue with the northern tools bench grinder my father gave me for Christmas about 16 years ago - he buys himself milwaukee's and gives me chinese crap. Says a lot about how much he loves me eh?

Buy him something you would want to receive, even if it's not a big gift.

Comment

yea iv only used my 7" princess auto grinder once and I probley could of used my 4" just as easy, a 9" would just be silly.

There are some things you might consider buying him for his 4 1/2" grinder however if he does not have them.

Such as: a knoted cup and 'stringer' wheel, knoted cup is about $10, poor quality is ok, but get a good $20 stringer wheel.
      http://www.wolfcraft.us/images/photo...edStringer.jpg
      Make sure to get one matched to his angle grinder size, if he actualy has a 5" make sure to buy him a 5", if he has a 4 1/2", a 4" won't fit (diffrent arbor).

Or those sandpaper crepe rubber blocks for cleaning cloged sandpaper.. if he doesnt have one, He should! They look dubious at best, and at $7 sound like a scam, but they work AMAZINGLY well.

Another cheap but amazing gift is one of those diamond grit faced bench grinder wheel dressers if he does not have one and his wheels are all cloged.

Basicly, check out his shop. Lots of rusty flat surfaces? Angle grinder wire wheels. Cloged sandpaper? crepe block. Cloged bench grinder? wheel dresser.

If it must be a cheap gift, make it a cool cheap gift.
      Those 'incra-rule' rulers and protractor can nice too.
      Or a transfer punch set if he hasent heard of them yet.
      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Your always going to buy the wrong thing for somebody else. Give him a gift card to his favourite tool emporium and let him buy what he REALLY wants
        Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

I have a couple of 9" grinders but they are better off being used with cutting disks than grinding disks.
          They are just too heavy and powerful to be used as a grinder because they don't remove any more material than a 7" one.

Over here for some reason they are cheaper than 7" ones, Aldi often has these on sale with a 9" diamond cutting disk for £19.99, about $30
          One neat feature of the last one I bought is that the handle can swivel and lock 90 degrees so your hand is always level whether you are cutting across or down.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

I have a 7" H.F. grinder. I've used it quite a bit in the past ten years. I prefer a smaller one so I got a DeWalt 4.5" model for general use.

The 7" one is heavy enough at 8-1/2 lbs., I wouldn't want a 9" version at close to 15 lbs. but I think they work well for the money. A Dewalt is probably 4 times the price.

I used to have a 7" Craftsman that burned out the armature twice so I tossed it the second time.

Comment

I like the features listed........... easy access brushes..

It should have an easy access armature as well.

JL...............

Comment

Another Gift Idea

Might I suggest an electric impact wrench from Harbor Fright ? I also have air powered impact tools, but sometimes I don't want to power up the air compressor and drag out the air hose , so I get out the electric impact tool and an extension cord to do the job. The 1/2 inch drive electric impact tool is larger and heavier than an air tool, but works just fine , and isn't very expensive ( on sale for $43 ).
                It's something of a specialty tool, looks very nice, feels substantial, and somehow buying it from HF doesn't seem like you're cheaping out. As a bonus, the electric impact wrench will operate from a small electric generator out in the field, or at your friend's house where there is no air supply. It may also work from your car battery with an inverter. Get some sets of impact sockets with it too, inch and metric. The ones from HF actually seem to be good quality.
                Last edited by Bill736; 04-25-2010, 09:52 PM.

Comment

Thanks

Originally posted by Kirbot
                  My brother's birthday is coming up soon, he's one of those people who is impossible to buy for.
                  When he needs a new tool or something, he just goes out and buys it.

.................................................. ...................

.................................................. .............................

Of course a dewalt or similar would be better, but a dewalt that size is almost $200.
                  I just don't have that much money for one.

Thanks
                  -Mike
                  I'd just give him the money and let him use it as he likes - perhaps suggest but don't insist on "tools".

Originally posted by dockrat
                  Your always going to buy the wrong thing for somebody else. Give him a gift card to his favourite tool emporium and let him buy what he REALLY wants
                  Good idea Ernie but I'd read some quite adverse reports on shop/store gift cards as he is tied to a particular store. If there is a discount he may not get it - and getting all of the amount may be a problem.

I do like the idea of either getting a "preferred gift" list from a couple getting engaged or married or setting up house etc. - with the option of giving cash - as I prefer to give cash. It saves a lot of anguish and "oh $hit" moments and takes minimum effort and worry with maximum results and gives the recipients the maximum options. If I get a "thank you" phone call or card etc. I'm satisfied too.

Comment

Another handy tool that not everyone has is a needle scaler. If he has a suitable air supply and does much work with heavily rusted stuff it helps a lot. It also removes welding slag, spatter, and flux.
                    Don Young

Comment

Thanks for all the replies.
                      I like the impact wrench idea, trouble is, he just bought one, today.
                      See what I mean, "he just goes out and buys it".

The needle scaler is a good idea too, trouble is, I got him one for christmas.

Me, my brother, and my dad all work in the same shop so there's already quite a lot of tools out there.
                      I already have a wheel dresser, my dad has the sandpaper decloger, there's already a good selection of wire wheels, plenty of hand tools....

I dunno, maybe the 7" grinder and some cutting discs or something would be good.

One thing I did notice the shop, or atleast his section, was lacking was a good portable toolbox.

Anybody have any suggestions for one in the $50 to $70 range?
                      If it aint broke, your not tryin'. -Red Green

Comment

15 amps 1800 watts ....all through an 18ga cord

On the otherhand for another $100 you can get a Milwaukee-

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/Product...Angle+Grinders

The bigbox stores routinely have them on sale for $149,still made in the US.

But,do you really need a grinder that big?We seldom use anything bigger than a 13 amp 4-1/2" grinder at work.Lots of power,small and HALF the weight.

http://www.toolup.com/dewalt/D28131....LAID=317893966
                        I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Hard to get at

I have a 4" Black & Decker (blue - domestic) angle grinder that I've had for years. I had it in mind to ditch it as soon as it died "soon" but it just will not die. I use it for small, light and hard to get into places and its still works fine. I have a German-made (top class) "Metabo" industrial quality 5" angle grinder that I use for everything else. That Metabo is a lot better and a lot lighter than the 7" and 9" "Bosch" (pretty good) industrial angle grinders that I had and so I gave them both away (still in very good working order) and just rely on the B&D and the Metabo.

I keep a range of wheels and generally use the best wheel for the job. I don't mind changing wheels as it is about one grinder "grade/size" up in performance compared to using a lesser wheel.

A better wheel does the job better, is easier on the grinder and a lighter smaller grinder is easier to use - and generally safer.

There are some places that a normal angle grinder can't get into but one of these makes a pretty good job of it with the right wheel on it:

Comment

I got one of these awhile back and like it-

http://www.toolboxesdirect.com/gener...&ci_sku=WTR005
                            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

If he's one of those guys that's got 'everything' then buy him a dose of penicillin.

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Working...
                              X