Morse Taper 2 Blanks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morse Taper 2 Blanks?

Who sells prehardened morse taper 2 blanks that have 4 inches or so material hanging off the end for machining? i been looking need 12 of them for my drill sharpener arbour./thanx Mike

Victor Machinery usually has them for $4.90 but I just checked & they're out now.

I bought some cheapies (2MT/JT33)from CDCO a while back and annealed the small ends so I could machine them. Worked OK.
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Comment

I bought several of the Victor machinery MT2 blanks a while back......

Whatever they WERE , it was NOT an MT2..... they rattled in an MT2 socket.

I fed that info back to Victor Machinery, and meantime ground them to a proper taper myself, as I wanted a couple right now.

Victor has been substituting very cheap Indian and the lesser quality chinese stuff for a while.... For instance, end mill holders....you used to get a good Bison end mill holder from them, now you get a 'Fling Wing" that may be not too bad or may be unusable.... luck of the draw.

I found that out when one arrived to me and turned out to be metric, to fit some particular machine, not an MT taper..... And maybe it would have fit that, or not It didn't look very well made....

other things have been substituted also.

Other things similarly have been substituted.

Keep eye on ball.
      Hashim Khan

Comment

You don't want hard morse taper shanks, just say NO! Think of it this way, if something slips what do I want damaged, my easy to replace MT2 shank or my much harder to replace MT2 tool holder? Most, if not all, MT drills have soft shanks.
        James Kilroy

Comment

If you have old 2MT drills, they are soft down by the shank so you can cut them off there, weld on as much stock as you want, turn it to be as pretty as you want, and machine whatever features you want.

MM

Comment

MT2 sleeve and extension

Originally posted by madman
            Who sells prehardened morse taper 2 blanks that have 4 inches or so material hanging off the end for machining? i been looking need 12 of them for my drill sharpener arbour./thanx Mike
            Mike.

Buy some of these MT2>MT1 sleeves (note: these are in OZ - so look them up in the USA):
            https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Pr...stockCode=D420

Cut off the stock you want to use for your 4" extensions, turn an MT1 taper on one end (not too fussy), andinsert the MT1 end of the extension into the MT2>MT1 sleeve/s - but use the correct grade of "Loctite" to hold it in and leave it until it sets - hard.

Now put the MT2>MT1 sleeve/extension assembly into the MT taper in your lathe head-stock and - using the tail-stock live centre (or not - your choice) - and turn the extension to your requirements.

Comment

Still looking

These seem hard to find. I need accurate taper as it will be spinning in a drill sharpener and this arbour holds the grinding wheel on. Its from a older cincinatti drill sharpener a friend has. I thought something with a morse taper 2 shank and some stub material would be a common thing or item . It aoppers it is not,.

Comment

Here ya go Mike. Busy Bee has them. $8.99 with machinable straight end and hardened taper.

http://busybeetools.ca/cgi-bin/picture10?NTITEM=B460
                Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Modify existing unit?

I guess the Busy Bee ones will work. thankyou Evam. I will drill and bore out the centres and then weld on a suitable material onto it. Then Machine the left hand and tight hand threads .thanx

Comment

Oops

Tight hand (ever hear of those??? LOL) IO meant right hand threads. My chinese keyboards letters have all worn off.

Comment

Working...
                    X