Finally Broke Down and Did It.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finally Broke Down and Did It.

I finally decided it was time to upgrade my Machinery's Handbook to the 28th Edition, and put a large print version on order just now through Amazon.

My old one is 9th edition.

I can't wait!
    Sometimes the professional is hidebound by tradition while the skilled amateur, not knowing it can't be done blazes a new trail. -JCHannum

I wish I would've gotten my 28th on cd.

Comment

9th? LOL Must of had some interesting recipes for case hardening and such

Anyone tell me if the large print version is the same book only larger or do they condense information any?
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Mhb

I have MHB27 - small-print "Tool box" edition as well as the CD.

The small print is a PITA - I really do wish I'd bought the larger-text version as I use it at the desk or computer - and not in the shop.

The larger text version has the same content as the smaller print "tool box" version.

The CD is no better - worse - as it requires - and is "locked" to Adobe Acrobat" (which is a problem in itself).

There are plenty of "unlocked" ("cracked") versions of the CD on the net.

I prefer the "paper" version to find a page in the index etc. and then read it on the CD and if required print it out at a size to suit myself. I sometimes copy a page to my computer as a *.jpg image for later use as well.

Comment

I got my pdf version to open with pdf Xchange viewer

Comment

Control+print screen will copy the desktop into the clipboard, and then you just control+V to insert that into a new image on any of the photo editing applications.

I don't have any problems with adobe. You can search the document and skip from instance to instance without having to resort to looking up pages in the index.

Comment

I spent a month on eBay constantly losing auctions for older editions of MH. I finally got sick of it and just bought a new one (Enco, and free shipping FTW). Then I bought a Kennedy tool box on eBay that had the 22nd edition in it along with a bunch of tools for less than the 22nd edition alone was going for, even after shipping. Go figure.
              Stuart de Haro

Comment

Mine was under 70 bucks. You guys really get that bent out of shape for such a tool purchase?

Comment

Let us know if #28 has actually been updated into the early 70's. Here in the shop I've got a 14, 24 and a 26, and I've used a 27. Still no mention of tapers that have been around for damn near 40 years (R8, cat40), but still pages and pages of crap on B&S tapers.

#24 actually mentions J-threads, which I use almost daily, a whole sentence worth, 26 and 27 eliminate that.

Common CNC spindle noses that have been in use for 30+ years (A2-6), not a mention.

They throw a new # on the cover, change the color, add a few sentences here, take a few out there. The #26 I have has nothing that I can't get out of the #14.

Buy one once, ever, the info is never going to change. I'll never buy another one unless they actually update it, I really don't care what color the cover is.

Comment

MHB and Acrobat

Originally posted by Jim Shaper
                    Control+print screen will copy the desktop into the clipboard, and then you just control+V to insert that into a new image on any of the photo editing applications.

I don't have any problems with adobe. You can search the document and skip from instance to instance without having to resort to looking up pages in the index.
                    Jim,
                    I prefer to use Irfanview - free and very good - for all my "image" work.

My problem with Adobe Acrobat - and a lot of Adobe stuff was the security problems it had not too long ago as well as the time they took to correct it.

I found that Adobe is like "Norton/Symantec" in that once its on the machine its a PITA and bloody difficult to get rid of.

I used "Norton Utilities" from the early days of DOS and it was pretty good. It became a PITA when Symantec bought it.

I used "Norton Ghost" from the early days in DOS and it was really good. I had the DOS version right up to W2K and it saved me on a few occassions. But the Windows versions for XP and W7 were a thorough pain in the neck - but I had to clean my disks to get rid of them.

So, Adobe Acrobat, Norton and Symantec are on my no-no list.

And because MHB CD only runs under Adobe Acrobat, MHB is on my no-no list as well. Suffice to say that MHB is a series of PDF files and that I get along quite well - without Acrobat.

Another problem with the CD version of MHB27 was that the "Mathmatica" utility never worked and that was despite a lot of email traffic between me and Industrial Press (publishers of MHB) and the owners of Mathmatica.

Perhaps its all OK in MHB 28 - I hope that is for other's sake - but I will persevere with MHB27.

Comment

I got my large print 28th edition in May last year from IT books online au. I looked everywhere including the US, ebay etc, and it was the cheapest I could get it for at $128.70 free post, I just looked again and it has gone up to $144.05.
                      The only complaint I have is, the pages are to thin and you have to be careful not to rip them. The large print is good, I wouldn't want anything smaller.
                      Dave

Comment

After getting the large print a cpl years ago,haven't cracked any of the others.BW

Comment

I got the large print ed. because I figured it would just be a better book to find things in; easier to find things in. I'm one of the types who will actually sit and read it during my lunch breaks, and it will probably stay in my truck for 6-8 months specifically for that purpose.
                          Sometimes the professional is hidebound by tradition while the skilled amateur, not knowing it can't be done blazes a new trail. -JCHannum

Comment

Working...
                          X