Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I do this job with a drill press?

Hi Gang,

What would I need to be able to overbore motorcycle carburettors? Obviously a milling machine would work but I don't have that kind of money right now.

Is it possible to set up the milling bit on a drill press using some kind of adaptor? There would be no horizontal load applied to the tool, only vertical. I'd still be drilling straight up & down. I would be using a face mill (right?) to bore the throttle body 1 to 2 mm larger than stock.

The end result would be something like this.

Why you ask? I have lots of old carbs lying around to practice on & frankly the idea appeals to me.

Thanks!
    S.

How true does the drillpress run? Any slop or wobble in the spindle would be... catastrophic.
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

How patient are you? You might try taking a 5/8s wooden dowel from the hardware store and making a slit in one end about the depth you want to achieve on the carb. Cut a strip of 30 grit sandpaper into (depth of cut) X (the width of the paper 8") Slip the cut end of the dowel over the sand paper, wrap it around the dowel, hold it in place as you slip it down the throat of the carb. Fireup the drill press and have a go at it. If you plan on doing this for a living it will be pretty slow but it should work.

Doing it with a milling cutter on a drill press would require a rotary table or a very large (read expensive) cutter bit.
      - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
      Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I may have misunderstood something, but why can't you use a reamer?
        If it aint broke, your not tryin'. -Red Green

Comment

Originally posted by sharp21
          What would I need to be able to overbore motorcycle carburettors? Obviously a milling machine would work but I don't have that kind of money right now.
          A lathe would work, too, if you have one.

Some people bore out motorcycle carbs using a dremel.

Comment

A reamer eh? Did I mention I'm new to machining?

Without knowing the name of the tool I was looking for I did all kinds of searches, but never came across that one... Do they make bits that are big enough though? I'd need to open up the bore to 38mm.

I'm open to any & all suggestions on how to do this. I just threw that first idea out there. I'm sure it could be done on a lathe as well, but I can only afford one big machine right now & I'm leaning towards a drillpress.

I'm not looking to make a living at this, just an interesting sideline & service to the Triumph community I run with.
            S.

Comment

Try a cheap boring head. Something like ebay#390187435336

Your biggest issue will be getting a shank mounted on it to fit your drill chuck.

Probably not going to be a very happy project, though.

Cheers,

BW
              ---------------------------------------------------

http://www.cnccookbook.com/index.htm
              Try G-Wizard Machinist's Calculator for free:
              http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCGWizard.html

Comment

If you can only afford one machine save your money and get a basic mill instead of a drill press. A mill can work as a drill-press but a drill-press can't work as a mill. Look at it as getting several tools in one that way. Hell I saw a dude put a drill-chuck in his BP, a center on the table in a vice and "turn" a simple shaft-part using a piece of sand-paper and a file. Not a good idea but it worked for that situation
                This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
                Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
                Plastic Operators Dot Com

Comment

might be possible - depending on how nice of a job you want finish and tolerance wise.

You could use a 3 stone brake cylinder hone and lots of lube to clean it up some.

Mounting the carb body firm and having a sharp cutter will be key.

Of try ebay for a used adjustable blade reamer.

Comment

Can you make the hole bigger? Yeah, you could hobble something together and get more daylight through there.

But it won't net you any horsepower...

A drill press won't make it easy to locate the centerline of the part, or indicate it in to ensure its parallel to the throat.

You're a little unlikely to produce an acceptable surface finish on a DP to keep from degrading laminar air flow.

and don't forget that by opening the throat you're decreasing the velocity across the venturi, so all your settings will be instantly out the window.

I applaud you for expanding your horizons... but I think you're getting into a deeper pool than you may realize with this. I've tinkered with motorbikes for over 20 years now... even a triumph at one point... but boring out carbs would not be something I'd try on my day off

Comment

id kinda suspect the chuck would fall off the JT-33 or whatever taper you have if you tryed to bore with your drill press.
                      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

How would you make the slides bigger?

Comment

Dirtbike & snowmobile guys have been boring out carbs for years with good results. Of course they will need re-jetting & more work than just increasing the opening but I'm prepared to do that.

Reading up on reamers I might try an adjustable hand reamer to carefully remove the required material, then use a flex hone to smooth the surface. Remember it only needs to be 1-2mm oversized.

I wouldn't use a dremel as there would be no way to keep it consistent, but I'll use one for final clean up & polishing.

S.

Comment

If you wanna ruin a stack of carb trying to bore them out with a drill-press knock yourself out.

Ream? problem is you have to hold everything straight to do the job, the carb will have to be solid and the ream will have to be just as rigidly held, otherwise the hole wont be straight, round or the same size from front to rear.

You should find somebody with the machines that can do the job properly.

(This is experience talking here)
                            Last edited by steverice; 04-27-2010, 04:04 PM.
                            "the ocean is the ultimate solution"

Comment

Well the other option is to obviously take it to a machine shop & have it done. I'm sure it wouldn't be too expensive.

So what then is required to do the job properly?

I want to start learning how to do some machining. I thought this might be a straight forward project, so forgive me if I was mistaken.

Comment

Working...
                              X