Coin rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coin rings

Is anyone here into or know anyone making coin rings? This is the process where you take a silver coin, drill a hole in it then mount it on a tapered mandrel and fold the coin over on the mandrel using a soft mallet. Using this method you have obverse image of the coin on one side of the ring and the reverse image on the other side. My problem comes when I try and take the taper of the mandrel out of the ring. I have made a slip roller type double roller where I can place the ring on another mandrel, place this between the two rollers and roll the taper out to make ring flat. The trouble is this rolling between the two rollers takes all of the image out of the ring. The two rollers are steel and I have also made PVC sleeves to fit over the rollers but the PVC is too soft. I'm hoping someone here can give me some ideas. I am doing this project for someone who wants to make these rings and I thought I had this figured out. But you know what thought did!

Jack.

Jack,

I think things will be a little easier if you/they do the hammering/folding of the ring first, then drill the hole. This way you can skip the mandrel part.

At least this is what worked for me when I tried it a couple of years ago out of curiosity. It was spur of the moment and I did not have any of the problems you described.

Keith
    "Work hard. Tell everyone everything you know. Close a deal with a handshake. Have fun!"

-- Harold "Doc" Edgerton

Comment

Hi Keith,

Thanks for the reply. I think you are talking about lightly taping on the edge of the coin slowly spreading the edge of the ring to the desired width, then drilling. That method leaves the ring with no image on the outside and only the inside shows a image. With the method I was describing there is a image on the outside and inside of the ring hence the need of the hole and mandrel to start the shape. I have to leave the computer for now but will give you the website of the place that sells this type of ring when I get back. Thanks for the interest.

Jack.

Comment

Use your tapered mandrel only to get it started. After it's formed the taper, switch to a straight mandrel and anneal lots.

Comment

http://homepage.mac.com/johnhuber/Co...toAlbum20.html

What do you do with them when they're finished?

Comment

Do not drill the coin until you roll the edge. Roll the edge by repeatedly hitting the edge with a kitchen soup spoon and hold the coin between your thumb and index finger rolling it as you tap on it with the spoon. If you don't try to do it all in too big a hurry, you will be able to read the date and other writing along the edge. Then drill out the center and dress down with files and sandpapers. When done, they look like silver wedding ring. Mine came out flawless but I lost it somewhere over the years.
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

the kids used to do this back in Jr High- during the lunch break it sounded like a a bunch of woodpeckers.

Comment

DP,

If I make any myself they will be for me and the Mrs. The fellow that wants me to help him wants to sell them.

snowman,

Anneal, hadn't thought of that. Didn't think silver needed to be annealed. Will the coins still need to be rolled to make them perfectly round?

YOD,

That's not the style I want to make. That method of doing it makes the outside of the ring smooth with no image, the image is only on the inside.

Go to this site to see what I am trying to achieve.

www.etsy.com/shop/SpiritualFlyer

Jack.

Comment

Way back and I mean way back in high school my metal shop teacher would prep the coins for us. We didn't drill them. He would place the coin flat on a metal table and use a small tip on a torch (oxy acet) and hit the middle of the coin. When the very center of the quarter melted the pressure of the flame gasses would create a hole in the center. As soon as it happened he would remove the flame. This is critcal, too long and the melt would go through an edge and ruin it. This was the best method going, there was no waste of the coin from drilling. Uncrichie.

Comment

Thanks Jack, that was much nicer then the ones we made. I'll be watching the thread as I gotta learn that technique.

edited: found it on the guys website: http://www.spiritualflyer.com/Sales.html
                    Last edited by Your Old Dog; 04-28-2010, 10:13 PM.
                    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                    Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack F
                      DP,

If I make any myself they will be for me and the Mrs. The fellow that wants me to help him wants to sell them.
                      Would they be worn on a chain or something so the coining can be seen? Worn as a ring it just looks like any silver ring.

Comment

Hi DP,

Go to the site I posted, it shows instead of just a shiny ring there is a image on the outside as well as on the inside of the ring. I will take snowmans suggestion to anneal the coin and try it tomorrow.

Jack.

Comment

Originally posted by Jack F
                          Hi DP,

Go to the site I posted, it shows instead of just a shiny ring there is a image on the outside as well as on the inside of the ring. I will take snowmans suggestion to anneal the coin and try it tomorrow.

Jack.
                          Ah - that makes much more sense. Thanks - we're slow here in Bellevue

Comment

Jack-

I'm wondering if you could take the taper out by reversing the ring on the tapered mandrel and then bumping it flat with a plastic faced hammer? Alternately, could you use a stepped ring mandrel like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Grobet-STEPPED.../dp/B000HWNSUU

I'm also wondering how you could adjust the sizing of the ring.

Comment

paulsv,

Have tried both methods. I tried reversing the ring on the tapered mandrel and made a stepped mandrel. The trouble I have is the ring doesn't flatten perfectly round. I think snowman has a good idea, to anneal the ring, and I will try that today.

Good responses all.

Jack.

Comment

Working...
                              X