Sheaves, pulleys fixed bore or tapered bushings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sheaves, pulleys fixed bore or tapered bushings

I am looking for some information explaining when do you want to use fixed bore vs tapered bushings pulleys.
    Surprisingly Maska or Browning sites don't have much info about that.

I just went through the same thing. I called the Browning tech support line and they were great.
    Steve

Comment

Stevert,
      Could you share the highlights of your discussion with the Browning tech? I'm looking into this same situation. Thanks.

Comment

I've just based it on how tight I want the pulley to be on the shaft. To locate a pulley it usually is a slip fit to the shaft and locked in place with a set screw or key and set screw.

If the pulley needs to be tight on the shaft because of the load or other cause then the tapered bushing is best but more expensive.
        It's only ink and paper

Comment

Taper -vs- fixed bore falls to load and HP.Fixed bore sheaves and sprockets are most often found on fractional HP drives and drives with less than 10HP.

That's not to say fixed bores can't be used,it's just they require tighter shaft fits and additional anchoring (setscrews).From a maintenance standpoint fixed bores require more man hours than taper bushed.

Taper bores really shine on larger shaft sizes and larger HP drives.Easier to install and remove and less costly to inventory.Inventory costs come into play anytime a plant has a range of sheave and sprocket sizes along with a range of shaft sizes.It allows the same drive components to accept many different shaft sizes instead of having to stock many bore sizes in each single component.

Add to that taper bushed bores are just tougher,tighter fits mean they stay put and don't work lose on the shaft.
          I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Wierd nailed it
            Also this has to be considered.
            If a shaft requires a ball/needle or roller bearing installed, you do not want any driving contrivence to damage/score/groove the shaft, and tapered bushings should be used
            Now if this is not possible, ( and you will see this in some Lathe Spindles ! ) then the shaft must be stepped , so the bearings and the pulleys do not have the same diameters !

Rich

Comment

Working...
            X