Parting Spindle HP / Rigidity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Parting Spindle HP / Rigidity

I need to part through 3/4" Diameter CRS with a 1/4" drill in it. This is a custom job that will repeat itself. I am considering setting up an old mini lathe headstock with something resembling more a turret lathe than a mini lathe.

Note that the only part of the mini lathe that will be used is the headstock, which will have a direct belt drive to a 1 Hp Baldor DC drive motor. The actual bed is a piece of 4x6" square tubing, 1/4" wall, with a 1/2 thick x 3" wide piece of steel welded to the length and milled flat. On that is a THK slide, with a dovetail cross slide (custom milled from CRS, expected to be expendable over time)

I am concerned about the rigidity of the setup, though I'm not sure I need to be. I'd love a heftier headstock, but I'm putting this crap together with what I have, not what I'd like.

Cutoff Priorties

Just a reminder a bandsaw, chop saw, cold saw are better cuttoff tools. Depends on accuracy and finish requirred. After buying a good Kennametal parting tool I use the lathe more often but it still runs a second to the others mentioned. A cold saw is nearing the top of my want list. Trying to make a parting machine from lightweight components sounds like an exercise in frustration.
    Byron Boucher
    Burnet, TX

Comment

I am going to assume your not parting it off with a 1/4" drill bit in the hole as that would not be nice to see.

I think what your proposing will be strong enough but a cutoff tool is no more accurate than an abrasive chop saw and it's easier and faster to use. You can set a stop to part the tube off to the length you need.

You may also be able to buy DOM tubing the size you are making.
      It's only ink and paper

Comment

Originally posted by Carld
        You may also be able to buy DOM tubing the size you are making.
        You can, but the drill is 1 of 8 steps to this little piece. Chopsaw just isn't an option, as I'm tryin to set this up as a barfeed operation.

Comment

Ok install a bandsaw on your lathe.

That'd be pertty awsome actualy...

Do it. Install a 4x6 with CNC hydrolic downfeed mod onto your lathe! it will be awsome! you know it will.

Hell, even a port-a-band would be big enough for lathe work.
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Thought about it (I really did).

I do have another project right now that I am considering installing a automatic drill press on my bandsaw.

Comment

I'll admit to occassionally using a portaband on my lathe

Comment

Snowman, if your setting up that make shift lathe to just part off the pieces why won't a chop saw do the same thing? Your not going to have an automatic process with the make shift lathe and a bar feed.

Also, why can't you eliminate drilling the 1/4" hole by using DOM and still do the other operations? Drilling a hole is not a fast operation in a lathe and I always like to start with DOM if I can get the right sizes of OD and hole. Even a close size hole and drilling or reaming to size is faster that starting with a solid bar.
                It's only ink and paper

Comment

Does the Mini-lathe headstock have taper-roller bearings in it?
                  Apparently it transforms parting.

Also look at a substantial rear-tool post to hold the parting blade upside down - it's made a big difference on my Myford....

Cheers
                  Bryan

Comment

Working...
                  X