Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headlight polish...

Ok...

So I got two pieces of sand-paper... One Ultra Fine and one Ultra Ultra Fine.

First I cleaned my headlights with pickle-juice. Seriously.

Next I sprayed water on the Ultra Fine and scrubbed the lens. This took about an hour. I had several layers of "gaaaak" to scrub off.

Then I rinsed the headlight off with water and repeated the process with the ultra-fine.

Next... I took some Comet clenser and mixed it in toothpaste. Seriousy. With a sham-wow cloth I rubbed the lens then wiped it off with a clean sham-wow.

Then I applied some Rain-X over the now transparent lens.

This is based on a suggestion from a friend, who developed this process... rather than spend $20 on a kit he decided to find household "stuff" that you have in your kitchen/bathroom/garage/wherever.

Test it out on a small section of headlight before you go whole-hog I'm not responsible if your car explodes or melts or accelerates out of control or whatever.
    This product has been determined by the state of California to cause permanent irreversible death. This statement may or may not be recognized as valid by all states.
    Heirs of an old war/that's what we've become Inheriting troubles I'm mentally numb
    Plastic Operators Dot Com

Bear in mind....None of these headlight restoration kits work on headlamp assemblies that have a hard shell coating, like GM's.

They were all designed to be used on bare plastic, and work well. But coated lenses prevent the plastic polish from getting anywhere near the plastic.

I have been trying "restoration kits" on my Impala ever since an over enthusiastic car wash employee hosed down one of my lights with some kind of caustic solution, and etched the hard coating.

Outside of grinding off the coating, my only option is buying a new headlight assembly...

After checking the price of a new headlight assembly, I now realize I spent almost twice as much on "restoration kits" and still have cloudy headlamp housings.
    No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

My headlight covers cost $100 *each*
      My friends 'sealed beam' headlights cost $12
      my unsealed bulbs cost $10.
      My 'high brightness' unsealed bulbs cost $25. I got raped.

The polishing kit from 3M did WONDERS on my headlights however, I guess no hard coating. Id HIGHLY recommend a drill based kit over doing it by hand.
      1800~3000rpm = the jobs done in 15 mins per headlight vs an hour. Worth the $20~ for the kit, considering it looks about good to do 8+ headlights.

PS: I dislike words like 'Fine' and 'Ultra fine' because they are not consistant.
      For the record, my 3M drill kit consisted of:
      500grit dry sandpaper, 800grit dry sandpaper, 3000 (or was it 4000?) grit wet 'Trizac' 3M 'foam backed' pad, And then some kinda polishing compound that just went onto a bare foam applicator.
      The 500/800grit was easy to unclog with just wipeing a wet paper towl and the 3000grit doesnt really load up as its used wet anyway.

The 500 took the lense pits/dirt/etc off real quick, the 800 was a nice refinement and started to look like a lense again, the 4000 made it shine and the polish.. Well, I could'nt really tell much diff from the polish, but used it anyway.
      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Pull the bulbs out of the back or you'll rattle/blow the filaments,

first rubbing compound with a electric polisher --- lots of pressure, then polishing compound with the electric polisher, then Mgquires plastic polisher to seal it off...

works great, If you have the hard coating covering the plastic and its all hacked up then wet sand it off with 6 to 800 g , step up to 1000 g

then go rubbing and polishing and mgquires...

Comment

Hi,

My understanding is that once the headlght covers are polshed they will "re-haze" very quickly since there is no longer a UV coating on them.

Will the Mequiars or Rain-X prevent or slow the haze from returning?

Thanks,
          John

Comment

When UV protectant is added to plastic products it is added to the material before its molded so its not a layer on the outside, we do this at work for a lot of the materail we mold. GM clear coats there lens on top of the UV protectant in the plastic. The GM lens can be polished like any other headlight lens it just takes more time due to this. It is true that the lens will reoxidize but not really any faster than they did before. Cars from the mid 90's and older were way more prone to this than the ones made in the last 5-6 years. Any good auto wax will help the headlight lens last longer.

Comment

Working...
            X