Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steam Jenny

Has anyone built there own steam jenny? I want to use it for weeding and
    for cleaning parts for machining and rebuilding. The principal I understand, a boiler, a burner and a wand. What I was having trouble with is the way to regulate the pressure and to make sure I don't blow myself up. Any ideas?

Originally posted by gunsmith
    Has anyone built there own steam jenny? I want to use it for weeding and
    for cleaning parts for machining and rebuilding. The principal I understand, a boiler, a burner and a wand. What I was having trouble with is the way to regulate the pressure and to make sure I don't blow myself up. Any ideas?

Steam Jennies operate much in the same way as the power plant in an old White Steamer automoobile or truck. Try to Google on White Steamers and I'm sure you can find a diagram of the Steam Generator they used.

Comment

Steam Jenny:

Steam Jenny type boilers are known as monotube steam generators. They are essentially explosion proof (as the term is generally used). They consist of a single long relatively small diameter tube through which water is pumped while the tube is heated. There is no steam space or large volume of water to suddenly expand if the tube ruptures, The worst that can happen with a broken tube is for steam to spray out the broken tube at a relatively low volume.

This type boiler was used with the Stanley and Doble(?) steam cars and they supposedly never had a serious explosion.

I suggest you goggle "monotube boilers" and also read up on early steam cars. You will find more than you really want to know. Also check salvage yards. You may find a steam cleaner unit with a clogged steam tube - a common failure mode due to poor water quality.

Comment

Working...
      X