Obvious tip or trick ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obvious tip or trick ?

So I have had a 4x6 band saw on a concrete floor for years. Dhuhh, put a scrap piece of wood under the drop zone (particle board, in this case) and no more dents in the drop off piece. I know, stupidly simple and everybody already does this, but in my case, I just overlooked a simple solution to a small problem. I feel better about it since my neighbors think that the bandsaw is some sort of drill, and the mig welder is some sort of tire inflator device. These guy's are 30 years old.
    I have used a lot of tips from Frank Ford's web site. Cleaning files with a scrap of wood is one of my favorites.
    Any others I might have missed?
    Ted

something to try in stead of wood

If you have a farm supply store in your area, check to see if they have "stall mats". It's 1/2" thick ground up and reconstituted tires (rubber) that is used to keep horses from getting stress fractures from standing on concrete.

I have a piece in front of my lathe and arround my mill to keep me (IE fumblefingers) from dropping parts on the floor and dinging my nice floor. Also protects the parts. It gives a nice standing surface, saves on fatigue . Price in our area is about comparable to ACX plywood for a 4 x 8 sheet. You might also be able to get it on the roll, cut to length. I kept a small scrap to put under the bandsaw drop area.

good stuff. http://www.rbrubber.com/
    Marcus.
    This post is a natural, hand-made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

Comment

I went to the local conveyor belting outfit and picked up a used roll of 3/8 thick by 4 foot wide belting and covered my whole shop floor with it. It made a world of difference. No more dinged parts and soooooooooooo much easier to to clean up the swarf with the shop vac. Used the leftovers to line the bed of my pickup
      Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

conveyor belting

that's good stuff too! I lucked into a piece about 20 years ago in a trash pile, brand new off cut about 24" x 36". It's got something on the back like kevlar, tougher than the case hardened hinges...still looks brand new.

I use it on my workbench as a bench pad, stuff doesn't slip, it's impervious to every chemical I have dropped on it and it cleans up well and protects my bench top when I am beating on things.
        Marcus.
        This post is a natural, hand-made product. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and are in no way to be considered flaws or defects.

Comment

Great Tip! Thanks!

Comment

My neighbor turned me on to some 4' wide conveyer belts, I'm using them for anti fatigue mats in front of the work bench and machines.

Comment

What is Frank Fords site

It sounds like Frank Fords site is something I need to lookup and bookmark so
              where can I find his website.

Comment

This one is stupidly simple.

Quick speed handle for vise. (not intended to tighten to full holding power, just for set up) Old free socket, welded to a bent peice of 3/8" rod

Comment

Frank Fords amazing collection of tips

Thanks agin Mr Frank Ford!
                  http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/ShopTips/tiplist.html

Comment

In regard to floor mats, if you know someone that works for a power company see if you can get the insulation blankets that are deemed unserviceable they are really good for floormats. They throw them away when they get holes in them.

Comment

Speed handle is nice.

Random tip: another matt or board on your WAYS is VERY IMPORTANT when doing setup with 123 blocks to space things away from the face of the chuck...
                      *rubs little ding in his lathe ways* Grumble... grumble...
                      Fell away from the work while I was still doing setup -_-
                      (Remove setup blocks before starting lathe of course)
                      Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

For a bench mat I use carpeting squares, about 2' square.
                        Available at carpeting stores and Menards and such. Entery way mats are good for benches too.
                        For taking apart carbs and other small things w/ many pieces, I use soda or beer flats. About 2" tall, holds two 6 packs of soda or beer.
                        Available at liquor stores.
                        K Liv

Comment

We call that a "concrete radius" in the trade

I have some rubber in my drop zone, and rubber fatigue mats wherever I stand for long periods of time. Still manage to put a concrete radius on a part every once in awhile

Comment

I use the tread sections from worn out sprint car rear tires. They are soft...no steel belts in them...and are relatively easy to cut the tread from the sidewalls. The bigger ones work out to about a 6' long section, about 16"-18" wide. You can usually get them for free if you know anyone in that hobby. And, if you're really energetic, you can take one of the side wall sections and make a clock for your floor mat supplier's garage.

David
                            David Kaiser
                            “You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once.”
                            ― Robert A. Heinlein

Comment

Working...
                            X