Harbor Freight digital calipers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Harbor Freight digital calipers

I am very displeased by Harbor Freight. Has anyone noticed that they switched vendors for their "good" digital calipers? All the calipers are now silver in color, does not matter which packaged ones you buy. The feel to them are gritty, they don't zero as well, and probably are covered with grinding dust. Absolute garbage.
    The one decent thing they had in their store is now absolute crap, like everything else they carry.

perhaps you can get your cheapo digital calipers from ebay?

Comment

I just bought a 6 in caliper today.. reg $29.99 for $9.99... the digital one with a coupon.

I didn't notice anything different about it.

Comment

My friend also has one of the HF calipers bought recently with the $9.99 coupon. I've used it several times, and it works just fine.
        Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

Maybe you just got a bad one. With prices like theirs, quality control can't be perfect. I bought a couple of them to use as DROs on my Chinese mill drill. They work just as well as the mill does.

Mark T

Comment

My son bought one about 4-5 yrs ago for use at home. Where he works requires all measuring devises be sent out to be calibrated/checked every year. So he sticks the HF in every year just for grins --- every year it comes back as the most accurate of the calipers Not sure of all brands he sends in, but I know of a couple Starrets -- bout half dozen in all.

I've got one that I got with him at the same time, but it got to be to unreliable earlier this year, so it got relegated to the junk drawer.

I'll have to ck my store next time I'm out there and see if they look different.......
            If everything seems to be going well, you have obviously overlooked something........

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Pace
              My son bought one about 4-5 yrs ago for use at home. Where he works requires all measuring devises be sent out to be calibrated/checked every year. So he sticks the HF in every year just for grins --- every year it comes back as the most accurate of the calipers .
              I never would have guessed that in a million years - and I used to keep a pair of the Happy Fart Dial Calipers on the bench top. Mine had trouble with "repeatability" and would vary +/- .007" all the time

As for fit and feel - I think the Mitiyomo hands down over all

Comment

Originally posted by RB211
                I am very displeased by Harbor Freight. Has anyone noticed that they switched vendors for their "good" digital calipers? All the calipers are now silver in color, does not matter which packaged ones you buy. The feel to them are gritty, they don't zero as well, and probably are covered with grinding dust. Absolute garbage.
                The one decent thing they had in their store is now absolute crap, like everything else they carry.
                YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve Seebold
                  YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

Not always....

Comment

I bought a set of those calipers and the only question I have is why? I don't use the darn things I always reach for my dial caliper because I feel it is more trustworthy and I see no reason for the electronic gizmo anyway, honestly is there any advantage to using the digital calipers?

Comment

Originally posted by radkins
                      I bought a set of those calipers and the only question I have is why? I don't use the darn things I always reach for my dial caliper because I feel it is more trustworthy and I see no reason for the electronic gizmo anyway, honestly is there any advantage to using the digital calipers?
                      Radkins:

No, there isn't any good reason. It sounds like you are just not a digital kind of guy.

Comment

Originally posted by sidneyt
                        Radkins:

No, there isn't any good reason. It sounds like you are just not a digital kind of guy.
                        Dial calipers, you just have to worry about particles getting into the rack and pinion and damaging it.

Comment

Frank Ford has a few tips for digital calipers on his site

Comment

Most of us use 3 jaw chucks
                            Have import mills
                            buy import tools

Like a $100 caliper is gonna make any of the above's tolerance any tighter?

They are $9 and serve a purpose. Would I spend $60+ a pop for one at the mill, the reloading table and the PC when for $9(x3) I can get the same end result using the machines I have available.

Comment

Originally posted by radkins
                              Yes, they wok great as a poor man's DRO on both my lathe and Mill. However I am with you, when I am actually measuring something with calipers instead of mikes, I always grab the old dial calipers.
                              I am not young enough to know everything

Comment

Working...
                              X