Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shop speak ?

How do you say

1 ) 6061 - do you say sixty sixty one or six o six 1 or other ?

2) What about RC when referring to hardness ? Do you say Rockwell or RC or other

Alloys, 6061-T6 would be sixty sixty-one T six. 4140, forty-one forty

60 RC would be 60 Rockwell Generally in my experience the only scale most people use is the C scale anyway.
    Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Yep

Yep What Spin Doctor said
      Visit my site for machinist videos free charts & more

Machinist Classifieds Free Listing

Comment

seven oh seven five
        fordy three fordy
        ten fordy five
        elohel
        I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

The only requirement is that you and the person your talking to understand what your talking about. Many people have different ways of describing something. Know what you want and be able to communicate it to someone.
          It's only ink and paper

Comment

Billet?...........
            Weston Bye - Author, The Mechatronist column, Digital Machinist magazine
            ~Practitioner of the Electromechanical Arts~

Comment

Originally posted by Weston Bye
              Billet?...........
              are you talking about aircraft grade billet?

Comment

thirty ought six

Comment

seeeks-oh-seeeks-won, and don't forget Haytch if required Aussies!

Comment

Two seventy

sixty sixty one T six

R sixty

Comment

Now for those not familiar with Kiwi, what Peter wrote would sound like
                      sux oh sux wun...

Now in my corner of Oz, it would be Six Oh Six One, and (say) fifty two Rockwell C

Michael

Comment

What about "HSS"?

I mentioned "Aytch-Ess-Ess" to some brits one time, and they didn't understand what I was talking about (could be my pronunciation though).

Thomas

Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back
                        - Piet Hein

Comment

Weirdly enough although it is abreviated as HSS, I've never heard anyone around here do anything except give it it's full name - so even if it was on a piece of paper as HSS, if I were reading that out to someone I'd more than likely say "high speed steel" or perhaps "high speed" if the listener could safely assume I was talking about HSS

Michael

Comment

Thanks for the answer, Michael. It was my fault then.

But it's reasonable anyway when I think of it, you don't say "em-pee-aytch" when you mean miles per hour, do you?
                            But you may say only "miles", as in "It has a top speed of 185 miles" perhaps? (same as your example with "high speed")

Thomas

Problems worthy of attack prove their worth by hitting back
                            - Piet Hein

Comment

As Tootie and Muldoon would say

Six two and even, over and out
                              Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

Working...
                              X