Torch regulator issues reviewed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torch regulator issues reviewed

I started a thread a few weeks back about torch regulators. Basically I had an old regulator that I found was leaking and ended up being surprised how easily the gas houses will go from a repair price (nearly equal to the cost of a new regulator) to selling a fellow an entire new kit (super expensive and high margin).

Well there were good suggestions on where to buy parts from and I settled on Regulator & Torch Repair. Jim (owner?) answered my questions and I placed an order on the internet. It shipped the same day.

I did try to place an order with Seal Seat and was stonewalled with a credit application that was mandatory per their customer service reps. Even with a credit card and an order less than $50, they wanted me to fill out a credit application that required my bank account numbers and account number of business that I work with.

Grainger, Mcmaster Carr, Online Metals, Alro, Brown Steel, my local gas house and so on have never asked for such personal items when I purchase with a credit card. While I understand what a credit application is for, I explained that the bank on which the card was drawn on had already done credit checks and they issued the card based on those checks, furthermore I didnt want credit with Seal Seat, I only wanted to order parts. I sent an email expressing my disappointment with their policy.

I received an email explaining that the credit check was the only way to get me into their system for ordering and tracking purposes. They have to run a credit check so that they can track my package? Wow! I wonder how UPS tracks my package when I never had a credit check done with them?

Ok, rant off. I know that the customer service reps are only doing what management has dictated. So I wrote a nice email back letting them know that I chose another company based solely on the fact that this change in their policy prevented me from ordering parts to get a job done quick enough to make a profit. Not that it will change their mind.

Just my experience, ymmv.

rock~
    Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

I'm sorry, but to me it looks like you got stuck in rant mode there and forgot to tell us about torch & regulator repair. So you ordered something .. did that fix your problem?

Don't worry about some company's idiotic policy. Those are self-limiting. Such companies inevitably fade away over time.

MM

Comment

Here is the old original post.

Link to torch repair

So many members were good enough to add info to the older post.

I did get a repair kit to replace the old diaphragm. I hope to get a bit of time in the next few days to get it together.

Yea, it is just disappointing that companies are playing games now. I'm glad for the internet. Back in the late '80's I would have been trolling through the Thompson books trying to find an alternative. Now, I run a few internet searches and I'm good to go in about 1 min.

I hope that SealSeat changes its policy. I had the impression that many here had used them in the past. I just cant imagine that a company wants to credit check a customer that is using a creditcard. But maybe that is the way everything is about to go?

rock~

Comment

rockrat,

I had a similar experience with PayPal. Claimed I'd be safer if they had my bank account information. Bullsh_ _. I've never used them since.

Stan

Comment

My opinion is that is their way of saying please go away,we don't want to mess with a very small one time order.
          Glad you got your regulator fixed.

Comment

More info for reading if you are interested.

Victor's site - Instruction manuals for Victor equipment Look to the left and select Service and Repair Manual

And I'll add More torch tests

rock~
            Last edited by rockrat; 05-06-2010, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Thanks for posting Rock,good to see somebody will still sell reg parts.Nobody around here will,neither will McMaster who normally will sell parts for anything they deal in.
              I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
                Thanks for posting Rock,good to see somebody will still sell reg parts.Nobody around here will,neither will McMaster who normally will sell parts for anything they deal in.
                At the old place, we would get all our torch repair parts from Mcmaster or Grainger. All they seem to sell now are the full kits and flashback arresters.

Be safe, one and all.

rock~

Comment

Originally posted by rockrat

Well there were good suggestions on where to buy parts from and I settled on Regulator & Torch Repair. Jim (owner?) answered my questions and I placed an order on the internet. It shipped the same day.

Just my experience, ymmv.
                  rock~
                  Thanks rockrat,
                  I had a problem with my oxy regulator(purox R-2278) where the "blow disc" blew. It(the disc), being on an obsolete regulator, had seccumbed to corrosion. Everything else was working fine. I reluctantly replaced with a similar copper disc just to finish the job.
                  I called Jim and he was most helpful and had a replacement disc.

Thanks again!

John Bloy
                  John M...your (un)usual basement dweller

Comment

Originally posted by Deja Vu
                    Thanks rockrat,
                    I had a problem with my oxy regulator(purox R-2278) where the "blow disc" blew. It(the disc), being on an obsolete regulator, had seccumbed to corrosion. Everything else was working fine. I reluctantly replaced with a similar copper disc just to finish the job.
                    I called Jim and he was most helpful and had a replacement disc.

Thanks again!

John Bloy
                    Good to hear!
                    Cheers!
                    rock~

Comment

Originally posted by rockrat
                      More info for reading if you are interested.

Victor's site - Instruction manuals for Victor equipment Look to the left and select Service and Repair Manual

And I'll add More torch tests

rock~
                      Great info, Rock! Thanks! - metalmagpie

Comment

Working...
                      X