Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OT-360° tour of WWII Submarine...and more!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT-360° tour of WWII Submarine...and more!

A friend of mine sent me a link to a tour of the USS Pampanito this morning and I was so overwhelmed by the excellent photography and detail of this site I thought some here would enjoy it as well.

I'm always amazed by these virtual 360° tours, zoom in or out, look up and down, and like I said the photography and lighting is excellent.

Look through the index on this site for other equally interesting tours.

http://www.nonplused.org/panos/uss_p...o/html/01.html
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Super neat wonder how many more 360 tours are out there?
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

Thanks for the link
      I like it.

Comment

Great link!!!! Just dont be pulling your mouse diagonally, sideways and up and down too rapidly or you will swear your on the surface in a rough sea and be barfing in that tiny head LOL
        Ernie (VE7ERN)

May the wind be always at your back

Comment

This page:

http://www.nonplused.org/panos/uss_p...o/html/12.html

shows the small lathe they had on board, but unfortunately in the shot you can only see up to the chuck, not the headstock.

Anybody know what kind of lathe this was? (ok wise guys, it wasn't a Grizzley)

I don't recognize it from the tailstock shape.

The brave sailors on that sub sank 6 Japanese ships, its hard to imagine what they went through to accomplish that in those hot tight quarters. I can't imagine sleeping in the crew area that was right above the main batteries, there had to be some fumes from those that weren't too pleasant.

Paul T.
          Last edited by PaulT; 05-05-2010, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PaulT
            This page:

http://www.nonplused.org/panos/uss_p...o/html/12.html

shows the small lathe they had on board, but unfortunately in the shot you can only see up to the chuck, not the headstock.

Anybody know what kind of lathe this was? (ok wise guys, it wasn't a Grizzley)

I don't recognize it from the tailstock shape.

Paul T.
            I'd put my money on a Sheldon. They made boatloads of small belt-drive lathes for the Navy in WW II timeframe.

Comment

I noticed the lathe too, in the "Maneuvering Room".
              Not much room to "Maneuver" around that lathe.

Comment

Great Places

Click on Index, then Other Places, then scroll down and click on Apex.

A favored scrounging place in LA's SF Valley. Picture shows less than 10% of the place. For a first visit, take along something to eat and, allow four hours for the inside. Outside the place, allow another 4 hours.

--G

Comment

Claustrphobia anyone? Not the electric boats of today! Makes ya more appreciative of what it was to whip the worlds a**holes back then. Imagine the creaking of the hull when diving to avoid depth charges. Those men were made of real 'stuff'!
                  I see I wasn't the only one to notice the lathe. That tailstock jumped out of the scene at me before I knew what I was looking at!
                  Krutch

Mentally confused and prone to wandering!

Comment

"Anybody know what kind of lathe this was? "

No, but the lathe on Tench Class SS-423 Torsk ( Baltimore) is a South Bend. One of the vets who served on the boat said it was original gear. Mighta been 9" btw centers.

SS-298 Lionfish in Fall River Ma. doesn't have a lathe.

I toured the U-505 in Chicago but after fifty some years can't say whether it was so tooled. Probably not Sheldon or S.B. ( smiley here)

Comment

big sub

this sub is bigger than the one we have in Muskogee OK, the USS Batfish,there are no crew sleeping bunks, the mess hall was emptyed of chairs and tables and hammocks were hung up, officers had their own quatrers, but they were just large enough for the bed and a locker.USS Batfish is in dry dock area and open to public,it has its own web site,Muskogee is just north of I-40 30 or so miles, if you want to go see the Batfish, there is nothing else in Muskogee ot see.
                      FORD BEATING JAP CRAP SINCE 1941!! CAROLYN JONES(1930-1983 actress)may this lady never be forgotten.

Comment

This is the submarine in San Francisco is it not? I walked around that sub a couple of months ago and I never spotted the lathe in the maneuvering room! Was pretty cool, and the diesels are huge.

Comment

Fantastic, I had to do every room.

I would love to see the camera they used. And an explanation of the technique used. I am sure a computer is part of it to splice the multiple images together.
                          Paul A.

Make it fit.
                          You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Comment

Originally posted by krutch
                            Claustrphobia anyone? Not the electric boats of today! Makes ya more appreciative of what it was to whip the worlds a**holes back then. Imagine the creaking of the hull when diving to avoid depth charges. Those men were made of real 'stuff'!
                            I see I wasn't the only one to notice the lathe. That tailstock jumped out of the scene at me before I knew what I was looking at!
                            I toured part of a Los Angles class sub once,there still isn't much room on one.Bigger sub,more stuff crammed inside.

At least the diesel boats had to surface every so often,I can't imagine what months at a time submerged must be like.
                            I just need one more tool,just one!

Comment

I've been in the Pompanito. Highly recommended. Everything in it is crafted. I can't imagine the man-hours lost when one of those was destroyed.

Comment

Working...
                              X