R8 collets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R8 collets

Does anyone know how good Bison and Crawford R8 collets are. They are the only ones that are available locally for Metric sizes.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

I don't think you will have much choice, all the imports and low demand have ran out the good companies. Bison stuff is pretty decent and more than good enough for home use. Never heard of Crawford.

Comment

Crawford is made in Britain I believe.
      The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

I bought a couple of the Crawford Metric collets, and the quality is superb. They're marked "Pratt Burnerd," and like Loose Nut says, they're made in England.

I love Bison chucks, but I've heard that their collets aren't so hot...
        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

I can't comment specifically on the quality of Crawford, but can confirm that they are UK manufactured. They were based in my local town, Witney, Oxfordshire until 2003. Quite suprising for a town more known for its woollen blankets than engineering. The blankets mills have gone now as well as Crawfords.
          They were based in the old Witney workhouse from 1940 until 2003, when the operation was moved to Halifax in the north of England. It now shares a factory with Pratt Burnerd as a "workholding centre of excellence". They were in the old workhouse buildings in Witney for most of that time, with the original buildings being demolished in 1979 to make space for a new factory. That has been replaced by new housing, athough I understand that the old workhouse chapel is still in place, Crawford's used it as a staff canteen.

I found an article from "Machinery" magazine from 2003, that describes the logistics around the movefrom Witney to Halifax and the new combined operation, an interesting read.
          http://fplreflib.findlay.co.uk/artic...d_Boggling.pdf

Stuart

Comment

Bison Collets

I have a set of bison collets from a few years back. They were made in Poland at the time but I'm not sure of the origin now. Top notch stuff. Very well made and I could not even measure the runout on them. Henry

Comment

Getting R-8 collets from a town better known for woolen blankets doesn't surprise me one bit, dealing with the UK.

During WW1, one of the finest aircraft engines available was produced by a company best known for their sheep shearing equipment.

The company was Wolsey, and the engine was the Wolsey Viper, which was designed by HispanoSuiza. You don't expect a 718 cubic inch V-8 aircraft engine coming out of a plant that made primarily sheep shearing stuff.

R-8 collets from a blanket maker....sure, why not.
              No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

"You don't expect a 718 cubic inch V-8 aircraft engine coming out of a plant that made primarily sheep shearing stuff."

Maybe they where working on an automated Fly baaahahah wire (Well, Cotton string really) sheep shearing aircraft!
                you know, like a crop duster, but for wool.
                Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_Moons

Maybe they where working on an automated Fly baaahahah wire (Well, Cotton string really) sheep shearing aircraft!
                  That was Baaahahd.

Steve

Comment

Working...
                  X