Hobart Handler 175

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hobart Handler 175

This welder just came into my possession. Seems like a reasonable welding apparatus. Anybody have experience with this model? Apparently I can get an auto-darkening helmet as part of the deal.

I have not welded before, but I do have a couple buddies that have, and are willing to let me zap myself, er, I mean help me to get started. Most of what I'd be doing would be in the 1/16 to 3/16 range steel, but I'd also like to learn to weld aluminum. Nothing commercially, just my own hobby stuff. Will I be happy enough with this machine? Does it have any quirks?
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

They are a good machine.......part of Millers umbrella now........it will do the steel range fine but will be a bit low on amps for aluminum, with some preheat it should work. Good start to jump in, can't wait to see some of your new jigs and fixtures once you get started gluing stuff together.........LOL

Migs not bad tp learn but get the auto darkening anyway.......may as well make it easy on a new venture as you can.......get a bottle of blueshield also.......waaaay nicer than fluxcore.
    Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

Comment

I'll second the auto darkening helmet. It makes learning to weld easier.

As for the machine, I have a Handler 120 and with gas it does everything that I need. Yes, get the gas kit for the welder. I have welded with flux core but the gas makes welds that look perfect.

As for learning, find some scrap steel, brush all the rust and paint off, don't use brake cleaner on the steel to clean it, clamp it all up and start welding. There are books online that can show you how to do it and what it should look like when your done.

Good luck and lets see your first project.

rock~
      Civil engineers build targets, Mechanical engineers build weapons.

Comment

The 175 will have gas built in. Only the 120 had no gas as it was their bottom of the line machine like the Lincolns at HD/Lowes.

Comment

Originally posted by rockrat
          I'll second the auto darkening helmet. It makes learning to weld easier.

rock~

Just don't forget to turn it on... BTDT : seeing spots :

Andy

Comment

Yea get a autodarking, If he wants much more then $100 id just buy a chinese one. the $100 chinese ones work well, solar powered, never need 'turning on' etc. seem to advertise the same specs as the rest, likey just mass produced modules by now.

gas verus flux: Flux works outdoors in the wind, but looks like crap and you can't see what you are doing due to the smoke, gas = near smokeless and instantly makes your welds look 5~10x better with much less splatter and much better flow.
            Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

I have a Handler 140. It's an excellent machine. Should have saved a bit more $ and got the 175 or 180. It should do plenty well for you.

I use an auto-dark helmet and it's automatic. No problems with it at all.
              Chris
              Merkel, Tx
              http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod

Comment

Ok, well I guess I got a decent machine. I will ask for the auto-dark helmet. I guess it's time I took a look at the machine- haven't really yet, except to see the model. I've got a couple weeks off now so I suppose I'll have some time to play. Have to re-shingle my roof, do some plumbing work, re and re some decking- (where's my play time )

I also have a stick welder which I've never used, and I'll have to figure what its best use will be now. Maybe I could adapt it as a spot welder-
                I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Comment

Stick welders are useful in that you can do cast iron, and other exotic metals pertty easy.

You can also 'hardface' wearing surfaces with the right rods.
                  Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Well it all depends what king of work your doing if you haven't used the stick yet after owning maybe you won't need it OTOH mig is a bit friendlier to start and it may create a new interest in using the stick?

Maybe the one pitfall I'd say of mig is that it appears to be so easy many people weld away with the impression they have a sound structural weld where it isn't........you will see birdcrap shortly.......LOL

I have almost every machine......just missed out on plasma earlier this week and I would say stick is my main course by far but the others have there place depending on the task.......

Good choice that machine should serve you well for years........
                    Opportunity knocks once, temptation leans on the doorbell.....

Comment

Originally posted by macona
                      The 175 will have gas built in.
                      Oops, I must have a 175 because it came with gas pre-setup.

Get gas anyway.

Eat here, get gas.

Last chance for gas.

Bean-o, for gas.

Gas-a-holic

Gas, grass, or......I need another beer.

Cheers!
                      rock~

Comment

Just have to figure out a suitable manifold to sew into my jeans for gas collection. Dunno about regulation though

Comment

Originally posted by darryl
                          Just have to figure out a suitable manifold to sew into my jeans for gas collection. Dunno about regulation though
                          Its been tried. While a bit of hydrogen will brighten up a tig weld to a light gold tint, what you suggest gives the weld a brown color.

Gawd I love this place.

rock~

Comment

Working...
                          X