Moped ignition

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moped ignition

Hi, I bought one of those 75cc 2 stroke chinese 'strap a motor onto a pedal bike' kits, and I think the ignition module just fryed on it... Little module that goes beween the sparkplug and engine, has 3 leads, 2 to the engine, one thats goes to ground to stop the engine.
    No idea what kind it is other then that.. anyone know what I might be able to replace it with? Or how to test if whatever inside the motor is the failure insted?

Iv tryed my best and I think iv traced it down to ignition.. it was running fine but intermitantly cutting out from full power.. then after parking for 10 mins won't start anymore.. allready cleaned the sparkplug and intake filter.
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Inside the motor is a magneto coil with a spinning magnet on the end of the crank. There are no points and no adjustment of anything. It is a solid state ignition with no servicable parts. If you aren't getting a spark when it turns over then you need a new module. It isn't likely that there is anything wrong with magneto coil but you can check it with a meter to make sure it isn't shorted to ground.

The only othe possible problem I can think of is that the magnet has come loose from the shaft because the retaining bolt is loose. It's easy to check, just remove the 4 screws and pull the cover off.
    Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Earthing

Check the earthing/stopping switch/mechanism and connection/s as well as the insulation.

Its usually something simple and its unlikely - but possible - that the module has mal-functioned.

Fuel system?

Comment

Mine has been functioning perfectly. It's really like a capacitive discharge ignition (no points, condenser, etc.) The mag builds up a pulse and fires the coil...Kinda like the ignition on my old Maico dirt bike. Simple.

I did have an issue with the kill switch, though. When I pushed the button, the engine kept running. Finally, after repeatedly pushing the kill button it finally shut down.

You gotta remember, these bike kits are not the highest quality...

I've talked with several owners who tell me the piston rings only last about 2000 miles....but that's a long way on a motorized bike.

Luckily, according to the web-site, every part is readily available.
        No good deed goes unpunished.

Comment

Originally posted by saltmine
          I did have an issue with the kill switch, though. When I pushed the button, the engine kept running. Finally, after repeatedly pushing the kill button it finally shut down.

I've talked with several owners who tell me the piston rings only last about 2000 miles....but that's a long way on a motorized bike.

Luckily, according to the web-site, every part is readily available.
          What website?
          Yea my kill switch has the same problem, have to push it down and 'forward' slightly to make it turn off.

sounds like I should order new piston rings along with a new ignition module.
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

http://www.zoombicycles.com/
            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Ah those are cheap parts... I wonder if it would be worth it to try and refit a clutch onto mine.. Some fool removed the clutch (as far as I can tell at least), and now its directly wired to the wheel basicly.. really hard to pedal start...
              And had to take off the main derailer on my bike to get the motor to fit, so pedaling is basicly a last resort up very steep hills (past 25 degrees!)

Comment

no clutch, I don't see how you get it started. I have a Grubee 66cc engine with a clutch and I can't even pedal it with the clutch engaged from a stop. I got mine from http://www.gasbike.net/ and they have all the parts for the engines. If it had a clutch to start with you can probably get it working.
                It's only ink and paper

Comment

Working...
                X