GE VFD's?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GE VFD's?

Was shopping for a few cheap VFD's in the 1/2-1hp range and seen Dealerselectric has some N.O.S GE VFD'S cheap.

Having never bought GE how do they stack up to other makes?Same,better,crap?
    I just need one more tool,just one!

GE Inverter

I purchased a 2 HP GE inverter and 2 HP 3 phase motor from Dealers Electric and installed it on my mill drill and it works great. The only thing I had to do was use an auxiliary relay and power supply to make a remote control for the on off functions. The inverter will control with the front panel of the inverter.
    The Dealers Electric are good people to deal with I have purchased several things from them in the past and have been very satisfied. Hope this info helps.

Comment

I see a lot of GE 1 - 5 Hp. VFDs used in Bottling / Food Processing lines, being used for 2 or 3 work shifts per day 7 days a week with no problems at all.

Comment

I bought a 3hp GE unit once. The manual was 3/4" thick and very difficult to read. I never wound up using it, just sold it. My buddy, more experienced with VFDs than I, laughed at me and said they're all the same. Still, I would go with Teco or Hitachi for your first one. None of the manuals are trivial, but the GE manual was really intimidating. And I don't intimidate all that easily, either.

MM

Comment

Okay,I'm gonna try some.Never had bought a VFD made by them and wondered if they suck as bad as GE's appliances that's all.

I've installed a bunch of various VFD's I have all the common connections memorized.Unless a PLC or PC is involved the first 10 or so pages of the manual is all that's needed.

Comment

Hey wierdscience;

We have a GE refrigerator which we bought used in 1972, and it's still going strong. The defrost fan has been replaced twice, and one other fan replaced once. As far as I can recall that's all the repairs it's ever had.

I wouldn't expect a new one to last that long though. I have no experience with VFD's.
            Last edited by J Harp; 05-08-2010, 11:32 PM.
            Jim

Comment

never used a small GE VFD, but the 2 megawatt ones that go by on the railroad up the hill seem to be reliable..... I just recently saw 4 of them start a 145 car coal train from a dead stop going uphill out of Valley Park, and those suckers were PULLING.... the total load was at least 20 million lb of train, exclusive of locos....

GE knows how to make a stout VFD. Whether they did it for yours, I don't know, but why not?

Keep eye on ball.
              Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Harp
                Hey wierdscience;

We have a GE refrigerator which we bought used in 1972, and it's still going strong. The defrost fan has been replaced twice, and one other fan replaced once. As far as I can recall that's all the repairs it's ever had.

I wouldn't expect a new one to last that long though. I have no experience with VFD's.
                The LAST GE appliance I owned was a washing machine I refered to as the Attention W----.The timer reeds where made from strips of beer can held together with elmers glue and eggroll wrappers from the factory.Got a miserable 2 years out of it.

The day I pitched off the truck at the dump still brings joy to my heart

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers
                  never used a small GE VFD, but the 2 megawatt ones that go by on the railroad up the hill seem to be reliable..... I just recently saw 4 of them start a 145 car coal train from a dead stop going uphill out of Valley Park, and those suckers were PULLING.... the total load was at least 20 million lb of train, exclusive of locos....

GE knows how to make a stout VFD. Whether they did it for yours, I don't know, but why not?
                  Well you know how it goes,the guys buying million dollar plus VFD's get invited to better parties than us lowly scum that buy leftover little ones for $49

Comment

Originally posted by wierdscience
                    I've installed a bunch of various VFD's I have all the common connections memorized.Unless a PLC or PC is involved the first 10 or so pages of the manual is all that's needed.
                    I'm still just a VFD Virgin

The last one I started up was running a 13,000 Hp / 12Kv Siemens Motor connected to a Solar Turbine pushing 1500 psi natural gas down a 40" pipe. It had it's own built in De-ionized Chill Water Loop to cool the Transformers.

I think I have some pictures in my phone - I'll try to up load some a little later.

Actually I make a pretty good living just sitting down, reading the instructions, calling tech service (if I have to) and getting things to work. Your absolutely right about the first 10 pages (quick start guide) being all you need to read. That is of course unless you want to program a pre-selected jog speed or some thing like that.

Comment

Here it is - 13,000 Hp motor

Comment

Originally posted by JoeFin
                        I'm still just a VFD Virgin

The last one I started up was running a 13,000 Hp / 12Kv Siemens Motor connected to a Solar Turbine pushing 1500 psi natural gas down a 40" pipe. It had it's own built in De-ionized Chill Water Loop to cool the Transformers.

I think I have some pictures in my phone - I'll try to up load some a little later.

Actually I make a pretty good living just sitting down, reading the instructions, calling tech service (if I have to) and getting things to work. Your absolutely right about the first 10 pages (quick start guide) being all you need to read. That is of course unless you want to program a pre-selected jog speed or some thing like that.
                        Neat project,the biggest I have dealt with was 50hp,but I have noticed at least in the 1/8-50hp range they are pretty much all the same except for wire and terminal sizes.

I deal mainly with conveyor and dryer systems,build,install and service.The newer systems all show up with cabinets full of drives.I do basically the same thing,read the book and tweak until it's in the customers base line and leave.

Comment

What is the deal breaker for the GE is the short warranty. The Teco VFDs have a two year warranty.

Comment

I bought two of the GE/Fuji drives at Cabin Fever Expo this year. A 1ph 115v 1hp and a 1ph 220v 2hp, both were stupid cheap.

I installed the 1hp drive a few weeks ago on my drill press. Setup and wiring was comparable to the Automation Direct and Mitsubishi drives I've installed on my other machines, and a bit easier than the Allen Bradley on my band saw.

The manual was no better or worse than the Automation Direct documentation, which is to say pretty straight forward.

I'm not too concearned with the warranty being only 1 year, if there's a defect, you'll know the first time you power it up... problems after that are probably contamination or cooling issues that the manufacturer had nothing to do with.

I'd buy the GE's again in a heartbeat

Comment

I'm baffled by the foot-dragging. I flound the GE Manual (it's an AF 300 by the way, the Dealer's Electric part number gets you zip) on line. It's about 145 pages of words and pictures not much better or worse than any other technical manual. There is a scary diagram that tell you how to hook it up and there are pages towards the end that tells you how to integrate it to complex industrial controls. Use what you need and ignore the rest.

Take your time, relax, and let your subconsious do the learning. Try to install it and set all the parameter the evening you get the VFD and you will doom yourself to endless frustration. I suggest you take the manual and VFD to a quet place and spend a few evenings just looking it over and getting familiar. It's like eating an elephant; take in a little at a time and eventually you're done.

These NOS VFD's from Dealer' Electric are a good deal for the small home shop owner. They're mostly new in box and the manuals can be found by a little digging on line.

If you can't handle the manual get some help. Once the VFD is set-up you can pretty much forget about it and jut run it.

A far as reliablity is concerned note that they are deigned as industrial electrical devices which generally means better design, execution, and testing than the usual consumer goods. I have several and they have been through power outages, zapped by feed through from my plasma cutter, ignored, frozen, left energized for years and never a problem.

These VFD's cost about 15 cents for the new price dollar. If you have a need, get one. If you might have a future need, get one and put it on the shelf. Don't let electrical intmidation stop you. Shop wisely remembering there is always someone who can help you install it. Worst it will cost you might be a pizza and a few beers.
                              Last edited by Forrest Addy; 05-09-2010, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X