Workbench Height- What's Yours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workbench Height- What's Yours?

Building a bunch of benches...so how high should I build them?

TMT

How tall are you? But as general rule 37 to 39 inches is about right
    Forty plus years and I still have ten toes, ten fingers and both eyes. I must be doing something right.

Comment

just a workbench? for hand work? bellybutton high.

Comment

Standard metal workbenches one can buy from Travers, MSC, etc are 33 to 34 inches high. I'm right at 6' and always found them to be a bit short. I'm building mine at 36"

Comment

I find most tables a little short too.. However, your vise will add 4" to a lot of work, and lots of things are kinda big.
          If we could only make a table with about 6~12" of easy to adjust height.. like a giant barbers chair. mmmm..
          Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Black_Moons, you can. One plant I worked at the bench legs telescoped into some slightly larger tube (welded up as a base) and then was able to be height adjusted by the employees using a car scissor jack at each end. In practice no one ever adjusted them but it was there.
            If you were doing some serious thumping or something, you might want to put in some locking pins in the legs so that the weight could be taken off the jacks, but it's a reasonably simple thing to implement.

Michael

Comment

I read somewhere that a workbench should be slightly lower that your elbow, when standing upright.
              This is so that you will be most comfortable while doing benchwork, and your forearms will be parallel with the ground.

Comment

Kidd that sounds about right but Black_Moons makes a good point too.

Comment

I'm 5'9" and I like my benchtops at 40 inches. I hate to work bent over.

Comment

I'm always tired. So my bench is at 5cm. Verrrry comfortable to rest my head on, no pillows in my shop.

Nick

Comment

I have two ends to my bench. I resurrected my old kitchen cabinets into benches and they ended up at 36" I built one end of the work area at 42". It worked out great, now big, time consuming things I can sit and work on at 36" area and fine detail work I can stand and get it right up in my face. I use them both abut equally but, if I had only one, it would be the 42".
                      "Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."~ Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I have two ends to my bench.
                        I tried that to. But my tools ended rolling to the lower end of the bench.

Nick

Comment

I put a lot of thought into this a while back when i built mine

37 inches .......will be ideal to put a south bend 9 on ....

this calculation arrived at ....by a thread that went on in the pm forum about ideal lathe centre heights .it was decided that the hardinges were the lathes least likely to gives users back pain .

so when the south bend was plonked on the bench ..its centre height .. was same as hardinge

also .....37 inches brings, for instance the top of an engineers vice ..two inches above navel.any higher and you would be struggling ..any lower .back pain from stooping

I'm 5 ft 11..........and this suits me with my back problems.

all the best.markj

Comment

Adjustable

Being 6'4" and a large frame guy I prefer my benches a little taller than standard. I expermented with different heights by putting wood between the bench and the legs. One of the problems was by the time I made a bench high enough I had to lift everything up there. Unfortunately I believe that if I can grab it I can lift it and was putting stuff up there that had no business being lifted. Work on the snowblower, put it on the bench. 13HP pressure washer goes on the bench and so on.

I walked into the local HD dealer one day and watched them put a bike on a lift and it all made sense. I purchased a scissor lift table with a 4' X 5' top. I fabbed a ramp and I now put my Zero turn on it and lift it for service. Great on the back. Rarely need to lift and adjustable to the job.

P/R

Comment

I spend a LOT of time at the bench, doing guitar repair, and for the last 40 years I've used 36" height (I'm 5'8"). That works out to a bit below belly button, for whatever that might be worth. The taller guys in the shop stand at 39" benches. My home shop bench is also 36".
                              Cheers,

Frank Ford
                              HomeShopTech

Comment

Working...
                              X