magnetising milling table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• magnetising milling table

hi, i want to attach a splash shield to my milling table using magnets. but am afraid to magnetise the whole table. there would be 7 - 9 23 kg magnets. does anybody have any experience?

guard

Why not just make brackets that clip into the T slots. Then you wouldn't have to worry about chips being attracted to the magnets.

Comment

If the table is cast iron, you won't permanently magnatize it.
      K Liv

Comment

no chips on magnets, they would be on the sides of the table behind the shield.

tried it out today, works perfectly, easy to put on and remove.

so i wont magnesise cast iron, but what about the vice, dividing head, clamps, indicators?

i hear/read about whole shops having been magnetised by strong magnets being around for a longer period of time. neodyme are succers.

what do you think?

Comment

Post a picture!

We want to see your splash shield

Comment

the shield is somewhat invisible, but you can see the magnets. theres 8 of them.

Comment

You could reduce the stray magnetic field (and hence the tendency to magnetise all and sundry) by fitting the magnets inside iron or steel 'pots' (i.e. a pocket) with a non-magnetic (Al/brass/copper) spacer around the magnet . This will concentrate the field to the open/table end. You may also find you could get away with smaller magnets this way.

Bill

[edit] like Frank Ford's pick-up device here:
              http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/Ma...ickuptool.html
              Last edited by BillTodd; 05-10-2010, 10:56 AM.

Comment

For what it's worth, I use neodymium magnets all over the shop - to hang notes, tools, shields, and for setups. Never had a problem with accidentally magnetizing big stuff. Small things like parallels can start to attract chips, but I just demag them like I do my other tools as needed.

Near the top of this page there are a dozen more uses:

http://www.frets.com/HomeShopTech/hstpages.html
                Cheers,

Frank Ford
                HomeShopTech

Comment

concerning the "steel pots": so it doesnt really matter how thick the non magnetic insulation is?

Comment

Working...
                  X