• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HF Tool Grinder

I recently bought this tool grinder from HF:

http://www.harborfreight.com/1-2-hal...der-46727.html

I have a couple of newbie type questions:

1. It came with two green wheels, which have a metal plate on the back side, and then a ring-shaped grinding stone attached to the metal backing. They do a pretty good job of sharpening brazed carbide bits, but they are slow on HSS, and heat up the bits pretty quickly. Also, one of them seems to be out of balance. I'd like to try an aluminum oxide wheel. I checked Enco, but couldn't find that style of wheel. Can anyone tell me what that kind of wheel is called, and where I can get such wheels? What is the best way of trueing the green wheels?

2. The table tilt mechanism is poor- it is hard to move the tables, becasue they bind. I have played around with the alignment of the parts, and gotten a little improvement. Does anyone else have this grinder, and do you have any tips on getting the table tilt mechanisms to work smoothly?

Lots of old threads on this grinder. Your observations on the grinder are about the same as mine and others.

I bought an Al-Ox wheel from KBC, *might* have been #1-704-368, but it's been several years, so don't take my word for it.

Most people eventually dump the green wheels. My grinder is now set up with a diamond wheel on one side and the Al-Ox wheel on the other. Works very well.

You may have to grind the guards to provide clearance for the new wheels.

Comment

That's quite a price increase.
      Just a couple of years ago that grinder was almost always advertised on sale at $119.

Can it be easily modified to take a standard bench grinder wheel? I've never looked closely at shaft.

Comment

Here's what you want

http://www.wttool.com/category-exec/category_id/13473

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by lynnl
          That's quite a price increase.
          Just a couple of years ago that grinder was almost always advertised on sale at $119.

Can it be easily modified to take a standard bench grinder wheel? I've never looked closely at shaft.
          I believe it sells in the stores (or did when I bought mine a few months ago) for $159. and then with the 20% off coupon, it was $127, so the effective price isn't much higher. The $159 is sometimes discounted to a sale price as well. Seems like a lot of machine for that price to me.

I haven't considered whether it would take standard bench grinder wheels, because in order to use the table tilt to set angles, you have to grind on the side of the wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by Jim2
            I also put these, from Wholesale Tool, on mine and they work great. HSS cuts like butter.
            The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Comment

Originally posted by loose nut
              I also put these, from Wholesale Tool, on mine and they work great. HSS cuts like butter.
              Thanks, guys, jhust what I was looking for.

Comment

Lots of old threads on improving this grinder and making accessories for it. Yes, the original wheels are crap and out of balance even after dressing the face, toss them. For the money the KBC A/O wheel is great. The table tilt is stiff at best, I still haven't gotten my to work smoothly yet. Paid $109 a while back. I wish I had waited and just bought a Baldor, Prosser or similar grinder at auction.

Comment

Originally posted by reggie_obe
                  Lots of old threads on improving this grinder and making accessories for it. Yes, the original wheels are crap and out of balance even after dressing the face, toss them. For the money the KBC A/O wheel is great. The table tilt is stiff at best, I still haven't gotten my to work smoothly yet. Paid $109 a while back. I wish I had waited and just bought a Baldor, Prosser or similar grinder at auction.

Yes, I originally did a search on "HF Grinder" and found nothing. Then after I posted my question, I did a search on "Harbor Freight Grinder," and found the old threads. Lots of good info there. I'm ordering the KBC A/O wheel. Haven't decided yet on whether to get a green silicon carbide wheel or spring for a diamond wheel for grinding carbides. If I make any progress on the tables, I'll report.

Comment

I paid 159 minus the 20 percent off

The grinder is great but the table are terrible, mine binds tight all the time. I
                    bought mine in Janurary of this year, it had out of square aluminum trunions (slides) I had to mill the insides flat so they would be the same all over
                    that helped but are still a pain to adjust.

Comment

Forget buying a green wheel and buy a diamond wheel for carbide and an Aluminum Oxide wheel for HSS. You can get a diamond wheel from CDCO at a reasonable price.
                      It's only ink and paper

Comment

Originally posted by chuckinnc
                        The grinder is great but the table are terrible, mine binds tight all the time. I
                        bought mine in Janurary of this year, it had out of square aluminum trunions (slides) I had to mill the insides flat so they would be the same all over
                        that helped but are still a pain to adjust.
                        I did exactly the same with my tables and they still bind. I think its the aluminum galling against the steel glides.

Comment

Originally posted by Carld
                          Forget buying a green wheel and buy a diamond wheel for carbide and an Aluminum Oxide wheel for HSS. You can get a diamond wheel from CDCO at a reasonable price.
                          I tried mounting a 3M diamond wheel, but mine has *way* too much runout. You can dress it out on a thick AO wheel, but you don't have have option on a diamond wheel.
                          "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

You adjust the runout by the 4 beveled mounting screws, use a felt pen or something to mark the area of high runout and loosen the opposite screw and tighten the screw thats 'high'

At least, thats the only reason I can come up with for them using those silly screws.
                            Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Those 4 aluminum screws are for the plate mounted Type 10 AO (or Silicon Carbide) grinding wheels. Diamond wheels have counter-sunk mounting holes and use a 5/16" flat-head screw.

But my point is the run-out on these Harbor Freight grinders precludes the use of diamond wheels. Forrest shimmed his, which is a lot of work. Eventually I'm going to tear mine down and turn the shaft, spigot, and mounting plates true.
                              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Working...
                              X