Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are they doing now? ....cutting away the smaller tube(s) so that they can get the jaws fully engaged?

They dropped the saw again! Looks like they were trying to get a better grip on the saw so they wedged it between the tubes to regrip. It slipped out and fell. good thing for safety lines it didn't fall far.

Okay, they're back at it again.
    Last edited by Deja Vu; 06-01-2010, 10:57 AM.
    John M...your (un)usual basement dweller

Comment

• I suppose that section of small pipe they're cutting now is in the way of closing and locking the jaws, which they have to do before they use the shear to cut the rest.
      Any products mentioned in my posts have been endorsed by their manufacturer.

Comment

• Actually the work was done by British, Norwegian and Dutch companies. One (Subsea 7) was at that time 50% Owned by Halliburton.

Phil

Originally posted by oldtiffie
        Ask the Russians as they have quite some experience in using an endless chain cutter for cutting large tubes at considerable depth and difficulty under water

Comment

• What diameter blade are we looking at here? How big are the small pipes and the large pipe?

The technology involved here just blows me away. Guys operating tools by remote control 1 mile below the surface of the sea, and me watching it on my computer 12,000 miles away.

Comment

• Originally posted by bob ward
            What diameter blade are we looking at here? How big are the small pipes and the large pipe?

The technology involved here just blows me away. Guys operating tools by remote control 1 mile below the surface of the sea, and me watching it on my computer 12,000 miles away.
            Like all saws it is 1/4" too small in diameter to make the cut.

Comment

• Originally posted by dp
              Like all saws it is 1/4" too small in diameter to make the cut.
              Where's their handy sawsall ?...to finish the cut

...Might as well go to the other side to make the cuts there.

Tht ROV must be left handed...the other arm had much better control.

Finally! they cut through!

Now,are they going to be able to just push/pull the tube out of the way?

pic of jaws with obstructing tube:
              Last edited by Deja Vu; 06-01-2010, 12:21 PM.

Comment

• Call me crazy but would it not be possible to unbolt the flange below the bend...and let er rip for a bit while they lowered a pipe with an OPEN valve with matching flange....bolt that to the flange and then close the valve....

Perhaps impossible under those working condions..but.....pretty sure that's what John Wayne in Hellfighters would try.
                I'm in it for the parking....

Comment

• Originally posted by Deja Vu
                  Finally! they cut through!

Now,are they going to be able to just push/pull the tube out of the way?
                  It appears to me the concern was that pipe would not have been cut through with the jaws and would have tangled after the slice, so they pre-sliced it.

Comment

• Originally posted by kcleere
                    Call me crazy but would it not be possible to unbolt the flange below the bend...and let er rip for a bit while they lowered a pipe with an OPEN valve with matching flange....bolt that to the flange and then close the valve....

Perhaps impossible under those working condions..but.....pretty sure that's what John Wayne in Hellfighters would try.
                    A problem with removing the bolts would be visibility once the flange starts to split. Oil is going to gush everywhere, possibly obscuring remaining hardware. That would make further BOP top work very difficult.

Comment

• This looks like something out of the movie "The Abyss"

Comment

• I know somebody already mentiond this but I wonder if BP has thought of defraying their expenses by some choice product placements. Maybe an image of a Coca-Cola can or maybe just RAM TOUGH with logo written on the side instead of CUT. Maybe also "When it absolutely positively has to be there on time"
                        Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

Ready for the big crunch?...kinda looks like it can't get its mouth around the pipes. But should squeeze in....won't it?
                          What do you suppose the rental rate is on that the bad boy?
                          Last edited by dp; 06-01-2010, 12:34 PM.

Comment

• Free if they had thought to put their name on it.
                            Free software for calculating bolt circles and similar: Click Here

Comment

• Originally posted by Evan
                              I know somebody already mentiond this but I wonder if BP has thought of defraying their expenses by some choice product placements. Maybe an image of a Coca-Cola can or maybe just RAM TOUGH with logo written on the side instead of CUT. Maybe also "When it absolutely positively has to be there on time"
                              I was pondering that here a few days ago wondering what the advert rate would be to have an advert on the screen

Comment

This looks like something out of the movie "The Abyss"
                                Did you see that YouTube vid of of bottom work where a whale popped into the picture? That was funny. (different site than this one)

Comment

Working...
                                X