The DSG arrives....5100 lbs of glory - warning tons of photos

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The DSG arrives....5100 lbs of glory - warning tons of photos

my deal on the Dean Smith and Grace was for another $300 they had to deliver (almost 2 hours away) and get in the garage----what a deal that turned out to be!

It arrived on a car trailer and they guys using four jacks would lift the lathe from the open centre of the trailer and pull the trailer forward. this took about six iterations as they had to stop every foot or so and reposition jacks because of the horizontal girders making up the trailer. It was disconcerting see that lathe two feet in air on four skinny jacks... I kept well back as the guys casually moved about, reaching and lying down beside the lathe getting the next stack of blocs ready

I'm already finding the sins, anyone knowing where used parts might be found?

how heavy duty this is barely comes through in the pics - there's a jacobs chuck beside the steady that gives some sense on how massive this stuff is. Two things missing, the DSG drilling attachment (a 4MT thing that bolts to the saddle so you can power drill using the carriage power feed) and a d1 6 faceplate....if anyone's got such a thing for sale

Last edited by Mcgyver; 10-06-2015, 08:54 PM.

For all the doubters that didn’t think I could shoe horn this in, here’s some shop pocs. Every tool is present form the early pics except the shaper. The Standard Modern is blocking a lista, buts its going. Now this time I will admit I probably only have room for one or two more…this is a 22x22 garage

Last edited by Mcgyver; 05-10-2010, 11:39 PM.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver
        my deal on the DSG was for another $300 they had to deliver (almost 2 hours away) and get in the garage----what a deal that turned out to be!

What a deal, indeed.

This is my favorite of the photos. The jack in the foreground appears
        to be overhanging the edge of its block.

Comment

I was one of those doubters, you da man

I really like that last shot, the one where you are hanging from a rafter

Comment

You need help Mcgyver. Worst case of toolaholic I've seen in a while. Don't think I've ever seen it manifest itself to this extent.

Seriously I'm more than a little envious, good score, especially with the $300 moving fee "thrown in".
            All you need to do now is shorten the driveway a notch and you may be able increase floor space another 5-800 sq. ft.

I'll bet people walking by on the sidewalk late at night can hear the giggle of a little boy in the distance.
            Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

that picture with your huge lathe resting on 4 teeny-weeny jacks makes me cringe.
              Thank god you got it situated safely.

Comment

Originally posted by Willy
                You need help Mcgyver. Worst case of toolaholic I've seen in a while. Don't think I've ever seen it manifest itself to this extent.
                Somebody stop me

Comment

I believe at least some DSG lathes, the power drilling attachment was noting more than a way to attach the tailstock to the saddle. Unless you've seen a picture of something different for your lathe, I'd look through the tooling that came with it and see if there's a likely looking widget.

Comment

that picture with your huge lathe resting on 4 teeny-weeny jacks makes me cringe.
                    you and me both, all i could do was pace...I was not driving the bus! but the guys claimed they knew what they were doing, had all their digits, and got it done without incident.

I'll bet people walking by on the sidewalk late at night can hear the giggle of a little boy in the distance
                    hehe, so true

yeah I've got it bad....just need to go get all these old girls back to their former states of glory. T&CG ground up scraping job is pretty much done, Monarch is another mountain to climb and there's bport cnc sitting there as well....plus whatever i find on the DSG

Robin, here's a pic of the drilling attachment. DSG, still around, responded to my email with lathe serial number within 24 hours with a copy of there original invoice from 1966 - which included this attachment....but it was long ago separated from the machine

Last edited by Mcgyver; 05-11-2010, 12:46 AM.

Comment

That would have been a sweet attachment, so is making a replica on your list?

Comment

Are those Harbor Freight jacks????

Comment

Originally posted by Mcgyver
                          ...Two things missing, the DSG drilling attachment (a 4MT thing that bolts to the saddle so you can power drill using the carriage power feed) and a d1 6 faceplate....if anyone's got such a thing for sale.
                          Shars.com sells D1-6 lathe chuck adapter plates (with studs) in 8", 10", and 12" sizes. Maybe one of those could work as a faceplate or be used to attach a faceplate. http://www.shars.com/product_categor...h/?search=D1-6

They deal almost exclusively in imports from China but the few items I have bought from them have been much better than I was expecting.

Comment

Originally posted by Robin R
                            I believe at least some DSG lathes, the power drilling attachment was noting more than a way to attach the tailstock to the saddle. Unless you've seen a picture of something different for your lathe, I'd look through the tooling that came with it and see if there's a likely looking widget.
                            Here's mine, on a slightly bigger machine.

Very useful bit of kit. Did DSG offer to sell you one? They do sometimes have secondhand stuff for sale.
                            Mine came without the original MT4 holder with screw ejector, so I made that (MT5) holder by turning down the tailstock barrel from a lathe I'd broken up previously.

What model is your lathe? I see it has the carriage handwheel on the left, US-style.

Tim

Comment

Personally I'd have gotten rid of the Unimat, 7th picture.
                              It's obviously taking up too much room

Nice move but the lathe on 4 jacks is very scary, don't care if they have done it before or not.

I hope you paid after it was inside at ground level ?

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Working...
                              X