sharpening device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Black Forest,

What RPM is the grinder? For fine grinding with a diamond, a slow speed is desirable. One thing I like about a flat circular grinding wheel like they're using is that it does provide a "variable" speed range since one can choose the speed by the location one does the grinding on the disk. I have a diamond wheel submerged in water on what is basically a potters wheel and it does a great job on HSS and carbide...and NO dust gets put in the air!

Last edited by Mike Burdick; 05-14-2010, 12:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
      So what is it they are doing? Do they strobe a light on the work to be sharpened that coincides with the speed of the wheel hence the speed of the viewing holes?
      Just holes spaced so the disk becomes 'transparent' when in use, the same way fan blades do.

A strobe on a non-black wheel would tend to glare and make it harder to see through.

ken

Comment

Maybe I'm missing something obvious, but I don't get it. Sure, you can see the edge as you're grinding it -- how does that help?

For a woodworker you can free-hand the angles, but with metalworking bits you usually use an angle guide/tilting platen...
        "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Bites

Originally Posted by Your Old Dog
          So what is it they are doing? Do they strobe a light on the work to be sharpened that coincides with the speed of the wheel hence the speed of the viewing holes?
          Originally posted by kendall
          Just holes spaced so the disk becomes 'transparent' when in use, the same way fan blades do.

A strobe on a non-black wheel would tend to glare and make it harder to see through.

ken
          You've got it right Ken.

I have some re-inforced 4 1/2" and 5" angle grinder discs from my local BOC sales depot. Those wheels have "bites" or "scallops" out of the periphery. They are dearer than the plain disc version but they cut faster, better and cooler and you can see right onto where the wheel is grinding. There is no "stroboscopic effect" needed as it is all visible in all lights - sunshine, fluorescent and incandescent.

Comment

Here's the video for the grinder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl1tjo2B-rU

Comment

The first thing that strikes me is that there's no toolrest - the piece that you're grinding is only steadied by your hands, which doesn't seem like such a good idea.

They say that you "automatically" grind tools at the right angle. Er - if you grind a tool by removing a layer of ink from a marker pen, the best you can do is to repeat the previous angle. If that angle was wrong, or it had drifted over several sharpenings, then you'd just be copying wrong angles.

Clever concept, drop the price by a factor of 10 and they may sell some to the Drill Doctor market sector.

Ian
              All of the gear, no idea...

Comment

Originally posted by rancherbill
                Here's the video for the grinder

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gl1tjo2B-rU
                After seeing the thing in use I can see how it is a real tool and not just a gimmick. Maybe a machinist might only see one aspect but woodworkers and turning guys will know the value when working on hand chisels of all profiles. I wouldn't mind owning one but the price does seem pretty stiff.
                - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

The motor turns at 1400 rpm. The man from the company told me the diamond wheels work better at slower rpm's and that is why they work good in a drill.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

Working...
                  X