sharpening device

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sharpening device

I saw this machine at a trade show not long ago. The man demonstrating it would blue the edge or cutting edge of a drill bit or end mill and then hold it under the rotating wheel and sharpen the tool. The rotating wheel is diamond inpregnated and has holes in it so you can see through to the edge that you are sharpening. It was interesting to see the blue taken off. I tried it myself and thought it would be a good addition to my shop.

I can sharpen my drill bits by hand on a pedestal grinder but not as good as I would like. I was curious if any of you have seen or used something like this.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Nifty, But should'nt that be a CBN wheel for HSS use?
    'Silly rabbit, Diamonds are for carbide.'
    Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

It costs a thousand bucks (on sale for $899), which puts it out of my league.....
      ----------
      Try to make a living, not a killing. -- Utah Phillips
      Don't believe everything you know. -- Bumper sticker
      Everybody is ignorant, only on different subjects. -- Will Rogers
      There are lots of people who mistake their imagination for their memory. - Josh Billings
      Law of Logical Argument - Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.
      Don't own anything you have to feed or paint. - Hood River Blackie

Comment

Grinding Wheel

Diamond works just fine for HSS too.
        Kansas City area

Comment

Watched one of those being used by a wood carver quite a few years
          ago. Workrd good for chisels and carving tools but for lathe bits etc
          I think the Glendo machine is FAR better bet.
          ...Lew...

Comment

Originally posted by SGW
            It costs a thousand bucks (on sale for $899), which puts it out of my league.....
            Always wondered where they come up with prices, flip a coin?
            guess? maybe a dart board?.

No dang wonder it's on sale for $900, no, I'm sorry, $899, still over priced by a factor of two or three. These places need to think on perhaps making a nickel three times is better then making a dime once.

Comment

So company at the local Wood Show was demonstrating a similar, but MUCH more crude arrangement. It was a clamp that held an electric hand drill vertically near the edge of the bench. A diamond wheel, with holes, mounted on a mandrel, was chucked in the drill. The drill was sharpened on the underside of the wheel while control and progress was watched through the holes. The guy demonstrating it was VERY good, but you can bet that it takes a lot of practice to really get the hang of it. This "kit" sold for about Cdn $90.00, and no, they would NOT sell the wheel separately. Duffy
              Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

A motor, standoff. eyeglass, and holy wheel. Priceless! Someone will copy this in their HS. And not for $900.00! Now, just where do ya find that wheel?
                Krutch

Mentally confused and prone to wandering!

Comment

They will sell just the diamond disk. A small one for a angle grinder or drill is 50 Euro's. The larger one is 199 Euro's. The light/magnifier is 125 Euro's.

How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Comment

at $900 is certainly isn't tempting me the slightest

and if that is an AC motor what is going to absorb the woo/flutter

Comment

The bluing that you see is an oxide layer. Removing the blue colour with a grinder is easy, but the real question is what has happened to the underlying temper of the material? That can be damaged but in the absence of oxygen won't go blue.

Michael

Comment

They are selling the disk alone here in Germany since years (Kaindl is a German company).
                        This motor with magnifier seems to be quite new, haven't seen it yet.

I don't have one. I know some who have such a disk and they are quite happy it seems. At least, I haven't read some negative feedback.

I won't buy one, somehow I don't see the big advantage. But maybe I'm just too old to change habbits.

Here are the prices and a video.

Nick

Comment

The "bluing" is drawn on with a felt tip pen to act as a guide as you grind. I watched the demonstrator do it-covered the bevel angle of a dull chisel, then proceded to adjust his holding position until the blue ground away.
                          Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

So what is it they are doing? Do they strobe a light on the work to be sharpened that coincides with the speed of the wheel hence the speed of the viewing holes?
                            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
                            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by Your Old Dog
                              So what is it they are doing? Do they strobe a light on the work to be sharpened that coincides with the speed of the wheel hence the speed of the viewing holes?
                              A flourescent tube around the viewing lens would strobe the wheel at 50 or 60Hz.

Comment

Working...
                              X