OT, Is this stupid or what, Rant!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OT, Is this stupid or what, Rant!

A guy brought me a Simplicity rotary garden tiller that had busted the brass (Bronze?) gear inside the tine shaft gearbox but making one of these things is beyond my capabilities both in acquired skill and equipment so I tried to buy one. Turns out the rascals will not sell just the gear but they will sell the gearbox as a unit, this small (very small only two moving parts and no bearings except solid bushings) gearbox is $1179.80 which is within a few cents of being $180 MORE than the entire tiller costs new! How do these outfits justify these kinds of repair costs and do people actually buy parts like that?

They do that because they don't want to sell parts, only complete units.

Have you tried the gear makers online. It may be a common gear.
    It's only ink and paper

Comment

Originally posted by Carld
      Have you tried the gear makers online. It may be a common gear.

Actually no I haven't, I had not thought of that, guess I will give that a try.

Comment

Rant

Have you tried a mower shop they may have a tiller with a blown engine? It must be cheaper to not stock parts. Much easier to make you buy a new tiller.

Comment

Well I just got off the phone and no one has that gear, also I did ask about finding a used one and that is the only hope but it seems that gear is a weak link and the most common reason for them to get parted out in the first place. Any suggestions for welding a bronze gear?

Comment

Is there a possibility to perhaps adapt the gearbox from another tiller?

I ran into the same problem you have a number of years ago when trying to source an electronic feedback carburetor for a Nissan...a complete long block for this particular car was cheaper than the carb alone!
            Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
            Bad Decisions Make Good Stories​

Comment

What make and model number is it? I'll corner the market on them and part'em out on FleeseBay
              - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
              Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

I know that you asked about a replacement gear, and I dont wish to insult anyone, BUT that worm and pinion assembly MUST be a standard, (recognized,) pith. Perhaps, if you tried Boston Gear or someone, they could quote you the replacement set. I just looked at a catologue, and a bronze 10 pitch gear and double start steel worm were about $130.00. No idea of the size you need, but the worm on a 10 pitch has a 0.75" bore, and the whole assembly is pretty small. Just a thought. I cant believe that a jerkwater rototiller company makes its own gears! I doubt that Honda makes them for their snowblowers. Duffy
                Duffy, Gatineau, Quebec

Comment

Originally posted by Duffy
                  I cant believe that a jerkwater rototiller company makes its own gears!

+2 on the Jerkwater rotortiller company!

Boston Gear? I will look up their web site in little while and see what I can find, maybe if this thing is not some Chinese piece of $#!^ they might have a gear set that will work even if I have to modify them to fit.

Just a thought here, I am considering cutting out the center of this gear, the hub part that is split and distorted through the keyway, which would leave me with a bronze ring gear about 4" in diameter with about 1/4" of material under the teeth. I was thinking maybe then to machine out a center hub to fit the shaft and have an OD to match the ID of what would now be a ring gear then press this ring gear onto the new steel hub. Hmmm, I'm just thinking right now and I am not a bit afraid to try something unconventional so I am certainly open to suggestions.

Comment

I like the idea

I like your idea of machining the center out,, but,, will the bronze crack when its pressed onto the hub? Maybe heat the bronze in the oven, pack the hub in dry ice for a drop on fit? I am sure curious how this one turns out. Jan

Comment

Does this tiller have a vertical shaft engine? Sears at one time sold similar tillers: Tecumseh vert. shaft engine, cone clutch and a worm drive for the tines. Perhaps yours is the same, just a different badge. Possibly a perusal of their parts website my turn up something that would work, and a bit cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by radkins
                        Well I just got off the phone and no one has that gear, also I did ask about finding a used one and that is the only hope but it seems that gear is a weak link and the most common reason for them to get parted out in the first place. Any suggestions for welding a bronze gear?

It could be TIG welded with bronze rod. I would try to weld it if at all possible. You can even weld teeth back onto a broken gear and do some grinding and filing thereafter.

A picture would help.........

Comment

You might go back to Simplicity... but find a different phone number. A lot depends on who you talk to. I've had some experience trying to get a part here and there and if the first person I talked to seemed irrational, I went around them. Sometimes that worked to get me a part from a person further inside the company.
                          John M...your (un)usual basement dweller

Comment

Yeah lets see a pic of the gear. I have heard of this problem when I was shopping for a tiller a few years ago. Instead of new I went out and found an old montgomery ward tiller with a cast iron gearcase and gears. I love it.
                            Andy

Comment

How about buy two new gears.
                              If you replace both gears, it doesnt matter what the pitch/etc of the old gears where, Infact, it does not even matter so much what the ratios where, you can likey adjust it up/down a little and won't notice much diffrence in the proformance.

If its two spur gears, you just need to end up with the same distance beween centers, if its a bevel gear, you just need something equal or smaller, so that it can be shimed into proper engagement.
                              Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Working...
                              X