This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you bother with the Chaski site...question

I can't get the threads to display in order so that threads with the latest replies at the top....... like this forum.

They persistently display by original post time, and replies may be current with a thread that us way down.

I've tried a bunch of different choices, and by now I seem to have them displaying alphabetically,, so I flat gave up. The site is virtually useless now, whatever it might be if I could see the posts in correct order I don't know.

I was wondering why subsections showed activity but I couldn't find it. Turns out that some recent posts were on other pages, or way down the list because of the display order.

There must be a "user choice" about that, but I have not found it, and I certain;y didn't choose to display them that way..... And I have no idea why anyone would want a different order........

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

User Control Panel
    Board Preferences
    Edit Display Options
    Configure as desired.

I'm using the defaults, no idea how yours got scrambled.
    Russ
    Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Can't help, I hardly ever go there, I usually only go there when I'm bored and feel like revving Harold up.

Last time I went there I posted the poly vee cutter tool made from an 11 tpi chaser die.

I only did it knowing he'd throw a wobbly as the angle isn't text book correct

Sir John , Earl of Bligeport & Sudspumpwater. MBE [ Motor Bike Engineer ] Nottingham England.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson

hmmm...that sounds like sport

I heard somewhere how experienced and good and experienced he is....oh wait, it was from him

Comment

I used to contribute a bit.

But I found that there were far too many argumentative people who knew only that their way was right and everyone else was wrong posting and being downright nasty on top of small minded. So I left. Regards David Powell.

Comment

Originally posted by John Stevenson
            Can't help, I hardly ever go there, I usually only go there when I'm bored and feel like revving Harold up.

Last time I went there I posted the poly vee cutter tool made from an 11 tpi chaser die.

ROFLMAO!

I had a good friend who was brilliant and had a command of the english language second to none. I used to pick arguments with him just to see what new words he'd throw at me. I'd ask him how to spell it, later check it out in the dictionary and find out he'd used a very odd/unused word in precisely the manner in which it was supposed to be used.
            - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
            Thank you to our families of soldiers, many of whom have given so much more then the rest of us for the Freedom we enjoy.

It is true, there is nothing free about freedom, don't be so quick to give it away.

Comment

Originally posted by David Powell
              But I found that there were far too many argumentative people who knew only that their way was right and everyone else was wrong posting and being downright nasty on top of small minded. So I left. Regards David Powell.

I used to post there but I've had quite enough of Harold, thank you. He knows all, sees all, controls all. The website is a showcase for Harold. Harold and more Harold. He is a legend in his own mind.

That said, why would anyone care about the order in which posts appear there? They're all about Harold so it doesn't matter which one you read first.

Comment

Originally posted by BadDog
                User Control Panel
                Board Preferences
                Edit Display Options
                Configure as desired.
                that last line there is the problem...... of COURSE I went there first, but the selections don't seem to make sense.....

I tried a number of things, each of which looked like it should do the right thing, and instead all sorts of other things that I did NOT want to have happen, did in fact happen.

Then there are three selections for "style", silver-something-or-another, and two others. But NO explanation of what the dickens they are, or why one might want this or that one of them.

Keep eye on ball.
                Hashim Khan

Comment

I left because harold thought he was a ****ing sware filter!! like some kinda stupid retarded mindless script.. He started bitching at me and editing my posts and threatening to just delete all my posts insted/ban me...
                  For words like, "Damn" and "****ty (finish, in refrence to cold rolled steel)

Now, if you want a sware filter, by all means, code a sware filter with whatever words you give a ****ty damn about. But don't bitch at me every time you take offence at one little word and think your some kinda robot that can't even look at context or if anyone was even mildly offended.

The only fun part of harold was when I entered the words he complained about in the forum search and found posts by him using said words.

Sorry for wasteing this time with a stupid rant. I now return you to your regularly scedualed arguement of if evan really can mill microns or not. Oh sorry thats last week.
                  What was it today? oh yea, reasons for failure in $3 C clamps.
                  Last edited by Black_Moons; 05-15-2010, 09:58 PM.
                  Play Brutal Nature, Black Moons free to play highly realistic voxel sandbox game.

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers
                    Then there are three selections for "style", silver-something-or-another, and two others. But NO explanation of what the dickens they are, or why one might want this or that one of them.
                    The "silver-something" is under "global". Did you see the options below? They are in "display options", and that's what I was talking about. Do they not work? If you can't get it resolved, you can email Marty (the admin).
                    Display topics from previous days: All Topics1 day7 days2 weeks1 month3 months6 months1 year
                    Display topics ordering by: AuthorPost timeRepliesSubjectViews
                    Display topic order direction: AscendingDescending
                    Display posts from previous days: All posts1 day7 days2 weeks1 month3 months6 months1 year
                    Display posts ordering by: AuthorPost timeSubject
                    Display post order direction: AscendingDescending
                    Russ
                    Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

Originally posted by BadDog
                      The "silver-something" is under "global". Did you see the options below? They are in "display options", and that's what I was talking about. Do they not work? If you can't get it resolved, you can email Marty (the admin).
                      marty of course referred me to the same crap.... it don't do nothin...... nothin useful.

Yes I have been there, and I have used the ascending/descending sort, etc....

What I got was that one shows old posts at top, and the other mixes them all up so I got posts from different years on page 1.

The latest post turned up on page 2.

Mind, I never asked for any of that crap..... NO other software has ever given such issues, the default has been fine.

NO other site gives you choices like that. I don't want what ANY of them do....

I want the board to act like this one, or smokstak, or Talkbass, or Practical Machinist........ where threads with recent posts are at top, and the others drop off the page.

So far, none of the options does that.

I want to know who wrote that POS........ so I know who never to employ in any capacity whatever........ As FLOORSWEEPERS they would be incompetent...... they'd turn over the trashbins and use the brooms to spread it all over the floor......... if the way the software is working is any indication.
                      Last edited by J Tiers; 05-15-2010, 10:12 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
                      Hashim Khan

Comment

Originally posted by J Tiers
                        I can't get the threads to display in order so that threads with the latest replies at the top....... like this forum.

They persistently display by original post time, and replies may be current with a thread that us way down.

I've tried a bunch of different choices, and by now I seem to have them displaying alphabetically,, so I flat gave up. The site is virtually useless now, whatever it might be if I could see the posts in correct order I don't know.

I was wondering why subsections showed activity but I couldn't find it. Turns out that some recent posts were on other pages, or way down the list because of the display order.

There must be a "user choice" about that, but I have not found it, and I certain;y didn't choose to display them that way..... And I have no idea why anyone would want a different order........
                        If you really want an exercise in frustration, try figuring out the Yahoo "7x12minilathe" and "Mini-Mills" groups.

Darren Harris
                        Staten Island, New York.

Comment

It's PHPBB, a very common forum software. And most all offer that and similar options, including this one, though the admin chooses what each person sees. The reason I persisted was that when it was first setup, some users had "rights" that gave them access to required settings, and others saw something different. I thought something like that might have happened to you.

Beyond that, all I can say is that I've had no similar issue.
                          Russ
                          Master Floor Sweeper

Comment

At the bottom of the page of topics there is a "sort by post time" option. When I look at that page I see posts are in fact sorted by post time.

Comment

Originally posted by dp
                              At the bottom of the page of topics there is a "sort by post time" option. When I look at that page I see posts are in fact sorted by post time.
                              yeah, maybe 'time" but definitely not "date"....... if we have the same options, which is doubtful..

hey....... when I just tried it, I saw my options had changed......

I was ONLY getting "author, replies, or subject'. Now I get your post time option, and it actually seems to work

Keep eye on ball.
                              Hashim Khan

Comment

Working...
                              X