Oxygen cylinder steel type?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oxygen cylinder steel type?

I just cut the bottom off an old 7.25 inch diameter oxygen cylinder from a welder set. Seems like decent steel. Anyone know what type of steel it is?

You might get an idea by grinding and observing the spark color and behavior. I was looking for a better guide, but I guess I didn't bookmark it. This one is decent though: http://www.man.lodz.pl/LISTY/ODLEW-P...20Ready_20.pdf

Comment

Back when I was in the industrial gas business (late 1970's) steel refillable gas cylinders were made of 4130 and went through a tempering process after forming.

Joe

Comment

C .020 Mn 1.0 Si .2 P .03 S.03 Al [sol] .010 is favoured by Bausteel as thier grade B440hp, but to be honest i think the phos is way too high and would prefer 0.2 as a max so the brittle transformation dosent blow people up, the figures are maximum, I dont know what of the shelf grade to call it as it fits so many, take your pick, just dont reuse fo high pressure if refabbed, and please dont get a darwinian award taking the valve off, just because you think its empty....RIP
        have fun
        mark

Comment

Depends on age of tank....

If really old, it will be of simpler steel than modern shatterproof cylinders..

Comment

Ths cylnder is from the late 60's. It's a rental tank that I got stuck with - the original company doesn't exist anymore, I don't have a bill of sale, I can't get it refilled, so it will be "repurposed".

The wife wants it as a "come back to the house for dinner" bell... but... I'm not sure I want to be that accessible.

I've never had much luck with the spark test methods, but that's just my lack of experience.
            Last edited by lakeside53; 05-16-2010, 10:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by lakeside53
              I just cut the bottom off an old 7.25 inch diameter oxygen cylinder from a welder set. Seems like decent steel. Anyone know what type of steel it is?
              It's whatever passes the DoT tests Seriously, you can buy oxygen cylinders in a variety of aluminum alloys, fiberglass, and steel.

But the steel cylinders do seem like good quality chromoly -- the blacksmiths around here use them for forges and cut the bottoms off to make redneck wind chimes
              "Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did."

Comment

Working...
              X